U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A, A- 3 30.00%
B+, B, B- 1 10.00%
C+, C, C- 5 50.00%
D+, D, D- 1 10.00%
E 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM

234 posts, read 274,717 times

Advertisements

I was surprised that Wikipedia finally made it enough clear for us.

The Climate of Istanbul has been arousing big controversies on worldwide agreed on climate classifications since ever. The fact that Istanbul lies in a region where 3 distinct climates intersect made it even more complicated for climatologists to assess its salient characteristics.

It has been years I was waiting for Wiki to update its original vague climate description section. Actually Istanbul has one of the most interesting climates for me, mainly because of its complications.

Wiki has now included three climate tables and a rich text (though sunshine hours and number of precipitation days are still missing for two graphs).

Here is the link, please go through it and let me know:
- your rating
- in which part of the city would you live in
Optional:
- what do you like/ don't like the most about it
- what could be done to make it better
Istanbul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM

18,468 posts, read 15,857,434 times
The different classification within the same city, seems a bit like splitting hairs to me. The fact is they all show a big reduction in rainfall in summer (Med feature), which probably tends to be convective anyway (not a typical Oceanic feature). The Cfa climate has the lowest summer rainfall, which doesn't make sense. The Oceanic one has the coldest winters, which negates the whole point of Cfb climates. I think it's really just a city with a pronounced rainshadow, and temperature differences due to topography/proximity to the coast - not a city with three fundamentally different climates.

I would take the place that starts with B, as it gets the most rain.

Overall Istanbul gets a B-, as it's winter has cooler maximums and lower sunshine than I like.

Last edited by Joe90; 03-09-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Ok I got your point but Wiki does not specify the number of precipitation days for the other two graphs. Therefore judging the status of Cfb for this region of Istanbul might be a bit premature.
Actually, based on a recent UN climate report I have, the regions in the north get 7-8 days of rain in the summer season (vs. 3-4 in the south). So the north has a Cfb. Not a typical one -since it rains more in winter- but not really a Med feature as you referred to.
I rate the climate of Istanbul as a B+ for the warm/ dry one and A- for the cold rainy one.
It would be ideal for me if it rains a bit more in summer and if average highs in winter would be few degrees colder.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 PM

11,152 posts, read 9,498,665 times
C-/D+ borderline.

Winters are too wet, cool and gloomy. Summers seem nice & dry, but I think they can be a bit hot (are they like Sydney with cool relief days here and there or they have 29C+ weather everyday?). If they have cool changes then I give it C-.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 PM

18,468 posts, read 15,857,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
Ok I got your point but Wiki does not specify the number of precipitation days for the other two graphs. Therefore judging the status of Cfb for this region of Istanbul might be a bit premature.
Actually, based on a recent UN climate report I have, the regions in the north get 7-8 days of rain in the summer season (vs. 3-4 in the south). So the north has a Cfb. Not a typical one -since it rains more in winter- but not really a Med feature as you referred to.
I rate the climate of Istanbul as a B+ for the warm/ dry one and A- for the cold rainy one.
It would be ideal for me if it rains a bit more in summer and if average highs in winter would be few degrees colder.
It's not really the precipitation days, so much as the type of rainfall. A Cfb climate should (in theory) get it's rainfall from the same sort of frontal activity, year round. I'm guessing that Istanbul sees more convective rain in summer, than rain bearing low pressure systems.

I don't actually think there is such a thing as a typical Oceanic rainfall distribution though. It has one of the more diverse seasonal rainfall distributions of any climate.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,069,274 times
Kartal gets a D+, Sarıyer gets a C and Bahçeköy gets a C+. Overall C-.

Hence I'll take Bahçeköy.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM

2,259 posts, read 1,608,993 times
I love this climate!!! It has it all!!!

Old 09-28-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
C-/D+ borderline.

Winters are too wet, cool and gloomy. Summers seem nice & dry, but I think they can be a bit hot (are they like Sydney with cool relief days here and there or they have 29C+ weather everyday?). If they have cool changes then I give it C-.
It depends on the years. Usually the first half of July is still a bit unstable temperature- wise: sometimes 25C, sometimes 29C, but rarely above 30C for more than 2 days.
Not until half of July until mid- August, temperatures are more steady and heat waves could then last more than 2 days: for instance in Kartal (warmest part of Istanbul) 5 to 6 days of temperatures around 31C, then 4 to 5 days back to 28C. In Sariyer its 2C cooler, so rarely goes the temperature above 30C.
Summer peak during heat wave is 33- 34C but thats like 4 or 5 days from mid July to mid August and usually only in the southern suburbs away from the Bosporus and the Black Sea.
Lately there has been more frequently heat waves but Istanbul is always windy because of the Bosporus straight so its not suffocating hot..

Old 09-28-2014, 02:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 814,426 times
Bahçeköy is my preference.

It gets a C+, needs much more snow. Maybe slightly colder winters.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:45 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,675,333 times
Hi Vernon-9, Istanbul climate is very interesting.
Do you know if are available average snowfall data for Istanbul? I would like to have an idea of what areas are more/less snowy in this huge city. Does it snows frequently in the historic centre?
Also, are Kartal, southern districts and the historic centre warmer than other areas due to some foehn effect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather