U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,064 posts, read 3,032,368 times

Advertisements

I would like to make together an analysis of how thunderstorms behave in your location.
As a weather enthusiast since I was child, I really like how thunderstorms are here.
Supporting this with official weather data I can show you how they are here in El Espinar, some 60 km far away to Madrid, Spain:
  • Average yearly number of days with thunderstorm: 17.
  • Most thundery month: June.
  • Less thundery month: February.
  • Most thundery time of the day: 13h00.
  • Less thundery time of the day: 08h00.
  • Extreme heavy lightning activity: Sometimes occur, especially at late summer and early autumn, maybe two or three times per year.
  • Severe dry thunderstorms:. Quite common during midsummer. Severe windgusts being accompanied by lightning strikes but few or nothing of rain is a common type of thunderstorm in July and early August. Maybe 50% of thunderstorms in these two months are like that.
  • Thunderstorms with lots of rain, more than 40 mm: It's quite rare but not unheard of here. Late spring and early autumn are the best time of the year for it. Maybe it happens once every two years.
  • Tornadic supercells striking and devastating your town or city: They never happened here, nor even small ones.
  • Severe thunderstorms with golf ball-sized hailstones: Very rare, it occurs once every five or six years.
  • Thuder snowstorm: It's quite rare but not unheard for. Maybe it occurs once every two years during winter. Most of them tend to be very brief, wich consist of two or three thunder claps.

Last edited by overdrive1979; 03-30-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM

3,020 posts, read 3,120,121 times
Don't know about thunderstorms, but in a 10 year period Canadian cities vary from 0 to 3.6 total flashes per square kilometre per year. Where I live it's about 0.13. http://ec.gc.ca/foudre-lightning/def...n&n=4871AAE6-1

Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM

24,946 posts, read 31,893,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Don't know about thunderstorms, but in a 10 year period Canadian cities vary from 0 to 3.6 total flashes per square kilometre per year. Where I live it's about 0.13. Environment Canada - Weather and Meteorology - Lightning Activity in Canadian Cities
Where I live those flashes per square km are just under 2 per year.

As for the thunderstorms in general, they are quite common here in the summer.

We get them in late afternoon or early evening after a very hot and humid day. They are usually of fairly short duration, 15-30 minutes, but very intense with lots of wind and heavy rain. If I see one coming I usually take down parasols and bring chairs close to the house to avoid them being pushed into the pool. Then the storm passes and the sun comes out again and the pool party can resume.

This happens fairly regularly during the summer.

We also get dry thunderstorms with huge flashes in the middle of the night a few times during the summer as well. During very hot and humid periods.

Thundersnow happens maybe once every three to five years.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 PM

753 posts, read 724,001 times
Vancouver gets an average of about 6 days of thunder per year, but this is just thunder, not thunderstorms. "Real" thunderstorms, as most people imagine them, happen maybe once every few years out here. We got lucky and had two of them last summer, before that the last time there was a big one like that was in 2009, I believe.

The rest of the time it's literally just a couple random claps of thunder that happen here and there. Interestingly enough, I see "risk of thunderstorm" in the forecast on a fairly regular basis through spring summer and early fall, but it almost never leads to anything (including the aforementioned random clap of thunder).

Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM

18,993 posts, read 16,795,103 times
There doesn't seem to be much information on thunderstorms in NZ, probably because there aren't a lot of them.

Where I live gets somewhere between 10-20 a year, mostly during the winter months.

Night time does seem to be more common than daytime.

They can be anything from a few minutes, to extended events lasting throughout the day.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM

24,946 posts, read 31,893,319 times
Sometimes our thunderstorms get out of hand. This is a video from a few km from where I live.

This particular thunderstorm dumped 85 mm of rain in about an hour in some areas near where I live.

The result was this:

Inondation gatineau 25 juin 2011 - YouTube

Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM

24,257 posts, read 21,651,626 times
I don't have much actual data, but here goes:

• Average days with thunderstorms (1998-2012): 18
  • Most thundery month: July
  • Least thundery month: February and March
  • Most severe thunderstorms during the day: 16-18h and/or 01-02h
  • Extreme heavy lightning activity: Sometimes occur, especially at late summer and early autumn, maybe two per year.
  • Dry thunderstorms: extremely rare.
  • Thunderstorms with lots of rain, more than 40 mm: very rare. The thunderstorms are usually too weak or fast-moving. Thunderstorm rainbursts with 200 mm an hour occur sometimes, but move forward before dumping enough rain
  • Supercells: last time in 2012, which led to the abandonment of a outdoor concert. In Pori further north caused a casualty. Maybe once every two years
  • Thundersnow: very rare. Usually weak systems which stay in the Gulf of Finland and die out fast. Maybe once per 3-4 years significant t-storms with snow.
I live in an area that has 0.4 flashes / km, but I don't know, maybe they are measured in another way in Canada.

Last edited by Ariete; 03-31-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM

3,020 posts, read 3,120,121 times
Here is the only data I can find. We get 9.93 thunderstorm days per year (one of the lowest in Canada).

The lowest is Nanaimo, BC at 2.33 and the highest is Windsor, Ontario at 33.24 days/year.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:51 PM

24,257 posts, read 21,651,626 times
The highest in Finland is the small city of Kerava north of Helsinki with 22 days a year, and the lowest number is in the extreme north of Lapland with 4.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM

3,578 posts, read 3,368,885 times

here's the average days with thunderstorms per year for the period 2002-2009 in sweden. as can be seen, the west coast has the most days with thunderstorms (25-30) per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather