Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:50 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
None of the places mentioned in the Pacific Northwest are continental- Victoria, Seattle, and Vancouver are all oceanic, with maritime climates.
Excuse me but Seattle is 100 miles inland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
They don't REALLY have the same kind of climate as here.

Its more maritime and Colder here.

I don't know why we are even comprising oceanic locations with continental locations.
How is Victoria any colder than Great Britain? Liverpool, just a bit colder in the summer than Victoria, but similar annual and winter temps.

Liverpool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birmingham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birmingham has a slightly higher annual range, in a sense it's more continental. But less so than Vancouver

Climate of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Victoria, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

London is warmer than Vancouver, slightly cooler than Seattle. In any case, temperature-wise they're very similar. Precipitation and sunshine-wise rather difference.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Well it has a similar record lows. But it is colder here than there and it would be easier to get snow here in April etc.

Dundee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perth, Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carlisle, Cumbria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only places south of Durham have warmer winters.

I don't know how our snow days compare because it doesn't give that criteria.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Actually the western coastal isles of Scotland freeze about as rarely as the Oregon Coast. And equally lack a summer. Overall Northern Ireland and western Scotland are slightly colder than coastal Oregon and Washington, but not by very much.

Continental climates don't begin until you get to the east side of the Cascades.
But they probably get more days of snow falling. They are closer to the arctic.

And people don't understand but it may get low frost days but it can lots of days below 5c.
Last March I had many days that went -0.5c to 0.5c.
Attached Thumbnails
What place is cloudier, the Pacific Northwest or Great Britain?-screen-shot-2014-04-01-21.34.30.png  

Old 04-01-2014, 02:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well it has a similar record lows. But it is colder here than there and it would be easier to get snow here in April etc.

Dundee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perth, Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carlisle, Cumbria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only places south of Durham have warmer winters.

I don't know how our snow days compare because it doesn't give that criteria.
You're nitpicking, these are differences of only a few degrees, it's also the same general annual range. For my perspective living in a different climate type, they're rather similar, certainly nothing like a true continental climate. Why look at just winter? Scotland and northern England are somewhat colder, but that's not all Great Britain, especially by population. I can look up snow days for American locations. Snow days is rather useless statistic IMO, as a hour of snow mixed with rain counts the same as a major snowstrom. It also gives little info about cold. Anyhow, my guess is that the Pacific Northwest locations would record less snow days but more days of air frosts, they're slightly more prone to extreme cold nights.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Quote:
Excuse me but Seattle is 100 miles inland!
Sorry, Bucko, but the Seattle airport is only 2 miles from the Pacific Ocean.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,649,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You're nitpicking, these are differences of only a few degrees, it's also the same general annual range. For my perspective living in a different climate type, they're rather similar, certainly nothing like a true continental climate. Why look at just winter? Scotland and northern England are somewhat colder, but that's not all Great Britain, especially by population. I can look up snow days for American locations. Snow days is rather useless statistic IMO, as a hour of snow mixed with rain counts the same as a major snowstrom. It also gives little info about cold. Anyhow, my guess is that the Pacific Northwest locations would record less snow days but more days of air frosts, they're slightly more prone to extreme cold nights.
Actually I was thinking the opposite: before I started reading this forum I never realised how varied British climates here can be, ranging from baking hot and really sunny in parts of the south if only you overemphasise the warm and sunny weather and ignore everything else to full-on polar in parts of Northern Ireland, if only you make stuff up

Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Sorry, Bucko, but the Seattle airport is only 2 miles from the Pacific Ocean.
No it is not.
Attached Thumbnails
What place is cloudier, the Pacific Northwest or Great Britain?-screen-shot-2014-04-01-21.59.30.png  

Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 PM

The Cascade Mountains mark the difference between oceanic and continental climates. (And wet/dry)

Omak, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

compared to

Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 PM

753 posts, read 837,808 times
Quote:
No it is not.
Just because a city isn't on the immediate coast doesn't mean it doesn't have an oceanic climate. Lots of inland areas of Europe have oceanic climates. Certainly the major cities of the Pacific Northwest do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather