Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
West 30 46.88%
East 34 53.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 AM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Advertisements

Myrtle Beach is at 34N. I was there last June (late). What temps were already 28C+. At that time of the year, Aya Napa would be 3-4C cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Western sides
I thought we're not just comparing the diect coast, but the whole western and eastern side.
All of Europe is the western side of the Eurasian landmass.
And the Southwestern deserts of North America are also on the western side.
There is simply a far bigger selection of climates on western sides.

The summers are only colder, if you're directly on the western coast of North America.(Or on the Atlantic Coast of Europe)
If you drive a little bit away from the coast , you get summers as warm as those you have on the eastern side at the same latitude.
And yes the summer water temperatures are colder, on the Atlantic coast of Europe and the Pacific Coast of North America.
But the summer water temperatures of the mediterranean are warmer than those on the east coast of North America and Asia.

45°N
Venice:Venice Sea Temperature March Average, Italy Water Temperatures
Saint John: Saint John Sea Temperature March Average, Canada Water Temperatures
Terney: Terney Sea Temperature March Average, Russia Water Temperatures

40°N
Thessaloniki: Thessaloníki Sea Temperature March Average, Greece Water Temperatures
Staten Island: Staten Island Sea Temperature March Average, United States Water Temperatures
Qinhuangdao:Qinhuangdao Sea Temperature March Average, China Water Temperatures

At 35°N The eastern coast of NA seems to catch up
Ayia Napa: Ayia Napa Sea Temperature March Average, Cyprus Water Temperatures
Fairfield Harbour:Fairfield Harbour Sea Temperature March Average, United States Water Temperatures
Qingdao: Qingdao Sea Temperature March Average, China Water Temperatures
I think you are completey changing the topic. If you include the "whole western side" in this debate, it gets thrown out of whack. The distance from Bucharest to the west coast of Portugal is the same as western Illinois to the west coast of the US. Illinois is def in the eastern half of North America while Bucharest is on the far western side of Eurasia. Eurasia is massive in east-west width and just can't compare the two like that. If you go further into eastern Europe like Ukraine or Turkey you are still on the far western side of Eurasia but in North America that same distance inland from the west coast puts you on the east coast lol. Also, this was more about a comparison of western side oceanic climates vs eastern side continental climates. Trying to include Venice and Thessaloniki, places that sit on the Med Sea and not on a Western Europe facing coast like Lisbon, is completely off the mark.

Also, I love how you just blow off how cold the water is on the west coast of Africa and Portugal and then throw in the giant bathtub that is the Med. This was east vs west on the continents and not plopping in the unique case of the Med which doesn't work anywhere else in the world. You are diverting the topic. Big difference.

The Med just heats up from the sun like a big ol bathtub and does not have the giant ocean currents that impact east and west coast climates.

Look at this image lol.

http://oceanmotion.org/images/impact...l-currents.png

Bottom line is that Philadelphia is warmer than Lisbon in summer, and our ocean temps are warmer. Avg surf temp of 68F in August is way too cold, compared to 75F avg at Avalon, NJ. Further down Virginia Beach is far warmer than equivalent west coast Portugal climates like Praia da Arrifana. Avg surf temp of 69F (20.5C) in July and August vs 78F (25.5C) in Virginia Beach. No comparison.

As far as the coast of eastern North America catching up at 35N, not only does it, it surpasses from that point on south. Cape Hatteras surf temps in summer are warmer than Malta. And further south on our east coast the water just gets warmer as you go south. Heck, the Gulf of Mexico surf temps at 88F aren't matched in the Med.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Even in the eastern US, humidity gets too low for me at times. Western side would be a nightmare.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think you are completey changing the topic. If you include the "whole western side" in this debate, it gets thrown out of whack. The distance from Bucharest to the west coast of Portugal is the same as western Illinois to the west coast of the US. Illinois is def in the eastern half of North America while Bucharest is on the far western side of Eurasia. Eurasia is massive in east-west width and just can't compare the two like that. If you go further into eastern Europe like Ukraine or Turkey you are still on the far western side of Eurasia but in North America that same distance inland from the west coast puts you on the east coast lol. Also, this was more about a comparison of western side oceanic climates vs eastern side continental climates. Trying to include Venice and Thessaloniki, places that sit on the Med Sea and not on a Western Europe facing coast like Lisbon, is completely off the mark.

Also, I love how you just blow off how cold the water is on the west coast of Africa and Portugal and then throw in the giant bathtub that is the Med. This was east vs west on the continents and not plopping in the unique case of the Med which doesn't work anywhere else in the world. You are diverting the topic. Big difference.

I didn't blow off how cold the water is on the west coast of Africa and Portugal.
I acknowledged it.
This is what i wrote

And yes the summer water temperatures are colder, on the Atlantic coast of Europe and the Pacific Coast of North America.

Look at the op again, Naples was included in the first post
And Naples is on the Med Coast.
So this thread wasn't intended to be only about the direct coast, imo.

The Med just heats up from the sun like a big ol bathtub and does not have the giant ocean currents that impact east and west coast climates.

Look at this image lol.

http://oceanmotion.org/images/impact...l-currents.png

Bottom line is that Philadelphia is warmer than Lisbon in summer, and our ocean temps are warmer. Avg surf temp of 68F in August is way too cold, compared to 75F avg at Avalon, NJ. Further down Virginia Beach is far warmer than equivalent west coast Portugal climates like Praia da Arrifana. Avg surf temp of 69F (20.5C) in July and August vs 78F (25.5C) in Virginia Beach. No comparison.

As far as the coast of eastern North America catching up at 35N, not only does it, it surpasses from that point on south. Cape Hatteras surf temps in summer are warmer than Malta. And further south on our east coast the water just gets warmer as you go south. Heck, the Gulf of Mexico surf temps at 88F aren't matched in the Med.

Cape Hatteras surpasses Malta in summer SSTs, but it doesn't surpass the SSTs of the Turkish Riviera.
The Gulf of Mexico is alot closer to the Equator than the Mediterranean, so warmer SSTs are to be expected, but i still don't see it surpassing 88°F, it seems to top out at 86-87°F
The Gulf of Mexico is very shallow, even more so than the Med Coast.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 PM

607 posts, read 649,007 times
As a general rule:

0-20 or 70-90 degrees it doesn't matter
20-40 degrees west side
50-70 degrees east side

And between 40 and 50 it's best to be in the middle of the continent.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Cape Hatteras surpasses Malta in summer SSTs, but it doesn't surpass the SSTs of the Turkish Riviera.
The Gulf of Mexico is alot closer to the Equator than the Mediterranean, so warmer SSTs are to be expected, but i still don't see it surpassing 88°F, it seems to top out at 86-87°F
The East Coast from the Carolinas south is warmer than the Eastern Med during the summer months.
Quote:
The Gulf of Mexico is very shallow, even more so than the Med Coast.
Average depth of the Mediterranean is 1500m. The average depth of the Gulf of Mexico is 1600m. In general pretty close.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
The East Coast from the Carolinas south is warmer than the Eastern Med during the summer months.

Average depth of the Mediterranean is 1500m. The average depth of the Gulf of Mexico is 1600m. In general pretty close.
For the biggest part probably yes, but there are a lot exceptions.
Here are some

Southern Shores Sea Temperature March Average, United States Water Temperatures
Belhaven Sea Temperature March Average, United States Water Temperatures
Alanya Sea Temperature March Average, Turkey Water Temperatures
Side Sea Temperature March Average, Turkey Water Temperatures

Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
I prefer the eastern sides of the western sides. eg. eastern side of the western mountains such as in eastern Washington State and Oregon.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Lol, Southern Shores is almost on the VA border and north of Cape Hatteras. And not probably, the southeastern US waters are warmer than the Med. Simple as that. You searched for the warmest water you could find and then compare it to Southern Shores.

I realize it is very hard for you to concede a point. No matter how you try to include in this debate a place 2,000 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and west coast of Europe, you can't win. Picking some small area on the southern coast of Turkey to try to prove that west coast beaches are better than east coast is laughable.

The beaches on western coasts are just not as nice in summer as those on eastern coasts. Warmer air and water.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, Southern Shores is almost on the VA border and north of Cape Hatteras. And not probably, the southeastern US waters are warmer than the Med. Simple as that. You searched for the warmest water you could find and then compare it to Southern Shores.
And What ?
The Turkish Riviera is 36°-37°N, it's still further north. I was answering to chicagogeorge who said that from the Carolinas south the NA east coast is warmer in summer, i said that there are some exceptions.
But yes, overall the East Coast does have warmer summer waters at 35°N and further south.

I realize it is very hard for you to concede a point. No matter how you try to include in this debate a place
2,000 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and west coast of Europe, you can't win.

Once again this thread wasn't west coast vs east coast, it was west side vs east side. The thread op included Naples which itself is 1800 km from the shores of the Atlantic. You ignored this. I think it's very hard for you to concede a point too, considering you bump this thread after 3 days inactivity to have the last word

Picking some small area on the southern coast of Turkey to try to prove that west coast beaches are better than east coast is laughable.

The beaches on western coasts are just not as nice in summer as those on eastern coasts. Warmer air and water.
For the west coast this is true, for the Med it's a matter of opinion.
You're living at 40°N (Philadelphia) You would have better beach conditions at this latitude on the Med Coast than you would have in New Jersey.( the closest Ocean Beaches to you)
But even than Nice is a relative word, some of the beaches of Oregon and Washington Pacific Coast which are not "nice" for sunbathing and swimming are still "nice" for their scenery alone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather