Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that Scottish weather lady on Breakfast suggesting that the 21C forecast for Wimbledon was hot, despite being a bit 2.5C below average.

Although I wouldn't say they have a cold bias, more so a mild bias. I get annoyed in winter whenever they take a negative tone towards cold weather. Assuming that we're all elderly people with no central heating, so therefore the cold is most unwelcome. Some of us actually like cold weather!
Yes exactly! I should have said that - a mild bias. Weather presenters in this country yearn for boring mild temperatures all year

It's little things like that which **** me off - these people are supposed to be experts in their field so how can they not know the averages? An average Wimbledon day should be about 2-3C warmer than 21C yet there is never a mention that this is below average, but there definitely would be if it was going to be warmer than average. that lady was probably Carol? Well she is probably used to 15C summers from her native Scotland but it doesn't excuse her

And I agree, likewise in winter if it's 6C/0C e.g. 2C below average it will be 'very cold' but the other way around and no mention at all.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:41 PM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
F**ing hell all this heat just 800+ miles south and we are having another **** day!

Always so close yet so far here. I can't complain about our summer so far - but I will complain about our ****ty weather forecasters and their ****ing cold bias ****

Apparently 20C is 'pleasant and will feel rather warm' on the local London forecast despite that being 3-4C below average, absolutely no mention of that. It always seems in summer they won't mention 20C being below average but they would mention 27C as if it was extraordinary or well above average.. the cold bias just pisses me off. And calling night time temperatures of 16C muggy! It's hardly that much above normal and is actually a pretty normal overnight minimum in the very centre of London They treat it as if we should all be glad the warm weather is over because it is fresher - no thanks bring back the warmth you cold loving biased derps
Just 800+ miles? That's the distance from Chicago to Dallas...Lol

But yeah its ****ing hot. Illinois all time hottest is 117F/47.2C in East St Louis. In Indiana just about 50 miles from the city limits of Chicago the high reached 116F/46.7C

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/statu...79074789400576

Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Just 800+ miles? That's the distance from Chicago to Dallas...Lol

But yeah its ****ing hot. Illinois all time hottest is 117F/47.2C in East St Louis. In Indiana just about 50 miles from the city limits of Chicago the high reached 116F/46.7C

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/statu...79074789400576
47 ? Seriously ????

Damn that's extremely rare, but I prefer the cold weather of Paris this time...
47, I would die.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:50 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
47 ? Seriously ????

Damn that's extremely rare, but I prefer the cold weather of Paris this time...
47, I would die.
Today's high temperatures in Europe... special mention to Spain, with seasonable temps on the 45-47ºC Few all time records were broken:

Cáceres with 43.1ºC, Mérida with 44.4ºC, Badajoz with 45.3ºC and Córdoba with 47.3ºC, also reaching the 2nd all time European record & Iberian record... Perfectly seasonable.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM

699 posts, read 368,788 times
Quote:
F**ing hell all this heat just 800+ miles south and we are having another **** day!

Always so close yet so far here. I can't complain about our summer so far - but I will complain about our ****ty weather forecasters and their ****ing cold bias ****

Apparently 20C is 'pleasant and will feel rather warm' on the local London forecast despite that being 3-4C below average, absolutely no mention of that. It always seems in summer they won't mention 20C being below average but they would mention 27C as if it was extraordinary or well above average.. the cold bias just pisses me off. And calling night time temperatures of 16C muggy! It's hardly that much above normal and is actually a pretty normal overnight minimum in the very centre of London They treat it as if we should all be glad the warm weather is over because it is fresher - no thanks bring back the warmth you cold loving biased derps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that Scottish weather lady on Breakfast suggesting that the 21C forecast for Wimbledon was hot, despite being a bit 2.5C below average.

Although I wouldn't say they have a cold bias, more so a mild bias. I get annoyed in winter whenever they take a negative tone towards cold weather. Assuming that we're all elderly people with no central heating, so therefore the cold is most unwelcome. Some of us actually like cold weather!
Quote:
Yes exactly! I should have said that - a mild bias. Weather presenters in this country yearn for boring mild temperatures all year

It's little things like that which **** me off - these people are supposed to be experts in their field so how can they not know the averages? An average Wimbledon day should be about 2-3C warmer than 21C yet there is never a mention that this is below average, but there definitely would be if it was going to be warmer than average. that lady was probably Carol? Well she is probably used to 15C summers from her native Scotland but it doesn't excuse her

And I agree, likewise in winter if it's 6C/0C e.g. 2C below average it will be 'very cold' but the other way around and no mention at all.
Thank you!!

Even if its just 1c to 2c below average in winter they will say ''below average for the time of year'' Firstly when is 6c in London and 4c in Edinburgh average?! It never is! However its perfectly normal for winter temperature to deviant from the norm for a couple days at the time. It pisses me off so much 0c in London is ''very cold''? How? Its only 2c below average.

As for summers how is 25c in Southern England suppose to be ''hot''?

These weather forecasters seem to exaggerate any slight deviation from average temperatures.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Warm spell next week?

Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM

14 day UK weather forecast
Often dry. Hot and thundery in the south at times.
UK outlook issued Thursday 13th July 2017

Week 1

Becoming hot in the south

Friday: Most areas have a fine day with sunny spells but it will be cloudier at times. In the north west thicker cloud builds and during the second half of the day outbreaks of rain develop. Quite warm in the south.

Saturday: Wet and windy weather pushes eastwards across central and northern regions. The south is expected to be dry and warm with sunny spells.

Sunday: Showery rain affects northern England. Southern and central areas have a dry and bright day, and it will be very warm or hot. North western areas have clearer and fresher conditions.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: It is likely to become warm across the UK and the south may be hot with temperatures climbing above 30C (86F). Through the period there is an increasing risk of thunderstorms spreading up from the south. Forecast confidence is low but cooler and showery conditions may return later on.

Forecast confidence is moderate to high.

Week 2

Often settled in the south but more changeable in the north.

Southern regions should have mostly fine weather, although there is a risk of showers at times. In central and northern areas there should also be a good deal of dry weather but more changeable spells bring the risk of showery rain. Predominantly warm and humid in the south but in the north temperatures will be closer to the seasonal average.

Forecast confidence is moderate.

14 Day UK Weather Forecast

Old 07-13-2017, 02:21 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
It pisses me off so much 0c in London is ''very cold''? How? Its only 2c below average.
I've seen them call 8-10c days in January ' very mild for the time of year'.

The local forecasters for London are obviously much better, they won't pay any attention to anything outside the ranges of 5-12c in January or 22-26c in July.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I've seen them call 8-10c days in January ' very mild for the time of year'.

The local forecasters for London are obviously much better, they won't pay any attention to anything outside the ranges of 5-12c in January or 22-26c in July.
I don't understand how they use those phrases so frequently its irritating and it conveys to people that our climate is different to what it really is.

The local forecasters are not any better...

6c. ''EXCEPTIONALLY COLD''
26c ''FEELING HOT''

Old 07-13-2017, 02:31 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,709 times
Dubrovnik officially broke its all-time July record high of 36.3c with 37.9c recorded today due to foehn bura. It came pretty close to its all-time record of 38.4c.

Last edited by ksolina; 07-13-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather