Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Apparently it was snowing in central London.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Apparently it was snowing in central London.
Nothing here today, it's 8c at the moment though, which is about 8c below average!

There were a few flakes in Islington and the City, unbelievable. This poor month gets even worse.

Last edited by B87; 04-26-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 07:05 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
it's cooler than average here as well and should stay that way for most of the week, but that mostly means highs below 20c and lows struggling to reach 10c with some clouds and rain, so no biggie, really.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Nothing here today, it's 8c at the moment though, which is about 8c below average!

There were a few flakes in Islington and the City, unbelievable.
I heard reports of snow around Waterloo and London Bridge, and lightning. Central London can go all year with barely a trace and now it's snowing 5 days from May.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Wintry showers again this afternoon. It's just 2-minute flurries that fall in the afternoons when the ground is too warm for them to stick though, so they don't amount to anything. If only we could just save them all up and have it snow for an hour first thing in the morning when it's frosty then this would be perfect.

Hard too to believe that this is still more snow than some parts of the soufffffff often see all winter

Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I heard reports of snow around Waterloo and London Bridge, and lightning. Central London can go all year with barely a trace and now it's snowing 5 days from May.
It's partly cloudy in the Heathrow area, though a few towering cumulus further east. This week can't end soon enough, the partly cloudy or sunny days next week with 15-17c highs will feel warm after all this crap, even though they are just average.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:35 AM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
^^

Don't count on even average conditions until mid May according to Dr. Cohen..... Though some moderation in the chill for Europe.

https://twitter.com/judah47/status/724686339183095809

Quote:
Dr. Judah Cohen from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) recently embarked on an experimental process of regular research, review, and analysis of the Arctic Oscillation (AO). This analysis is intended to provide researchers and practitioners real-time insights on one of North America’s and Europe’s leading drivers for extreme and persistent temperature patterns.

Summary

The Arctic Oscillation (AO) is currently strongly negative and is predicted to remain negative into the foreseeable future.
The overall negative AO is reflective of predictions of positive pressure/geopotential height anomalies over the Arctic basin and negative pressure/geopotential height anomalies across the mid-latitudes especially in the North Atlantic sector.
The current negative AO but especially the negative North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) is associated with below normal temperatures across Europe and Western Asia.
However as the largest positive geopotential height anomalies (or high latitude blocking) transfer from Greenland to Northern Canada, cold air pooled in Eastern Canada will be drawn further south into the Eastern United States (US). This will also help turn the winds from northerly to more westerly across Europe bringing a moderation in the very cold temperatures across the region.
The anomalous and persistent negative AO atmospheric state is consistent with the sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) and polar vortex (PV) split that occurred in March.
The negative AO and related circulation anomalies continue to propagate down from the stratosphere to the troposphere. These changes include an equatorward displaced and active Jet Stream and increased chances of cold air outbreaks across the mid-latitudes. The cycle should be winding down but does look to dominate the atmospheric circulation into early and even mid May.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
It was 5c here yesterday afternoon, and parts of Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire have had snow. In fact right now it's sleeting here! It's very cold, and feels very cold!
We've had pretty much no snow for 3 years, yet we get some at the end of April! Germany has settled snow on the ground right now too, as do other European countries.

George was absolutely spot on with his charts.

Right now it's 4c here with sleet/snow! High for today is just 7c. Cold.
I'm not suggesting he isn't, in fact the Daily Mail is what is really getting my goat and perhaps George has been in my firing line a bit, to hear the Daily Mail you would think that an ice age was looming! it is currently 10 degrees C here, cold for the time of year yes but not unusual in a country where the weather is renowned for occasionally throwing a 'curved ball'. By next week the forecast shows 15 and 16 degrees C for here, which is not particularly warm for this time of year but about 'average' for the start of May, its no 'biggie'. I can almost guarantee that as soon as the temperature hits 30 degrees C the Daily Mail will start predicting drought and that Birmingham is going to melt because of 'global warming'!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not suggesting he isn't, in fact the Daily Mail is what is really getting my goat and perhaps George has been in my firing line a bit, to hear the Daily Mail you would think that an ice age was looming! it is currently 10 degrees C here, cold for the time of year yes but not unusual in a country where the weather is renowned for occasionally throwing a 'curved ball'. By next week the forecast shows 15 and 16 degrees C for here, which is not particularly warm for this time of year but about 'average' for the start of May, its no 'biggie'. I can almost guarantee that as soon as the temperature hits 30 degrees C the Daily Mail will start predicting that Birmingham is going to melt because of 'global warming'!
Don't read the Daily Mail then?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
My last May, June and July were cooler than normal. The beginning of summer was the coldest in 50 years, so if someone deserves an above normal summer it's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather