Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 01:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
The green (very cool) areas are almost gone and yellow is the color in northernmost Europe. The green areas in S Norway are mountains. For some reason, central Sweden cooler than both Finland and Norway right now - evening at 20:00 CET.
Source: Cartes des stations météo en temps réel en France, en Europe et dans le Monde — archives depuis 1880 - Infoclimat
There were two small low-pressure systems (over Åland and Saint Petersburg) who are dying out quickly and will open the gates for warm air from the SE. 27C possible in inland Finland on Monday and Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:17 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
They can have similar temperatures, but July and August are usually notably warmer than June. June and September are similar though.
Your right.......they are ABOUT the same! December isn't though but January temperatures are ABOUT the same as Decembers, RIGHT GEORGE?

Old 05-27-2016, 05:16 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I was on a Baltic cruise, May 1st - May 12th and was very surprised how nice the weather was! St. Petersburg, May 7th and 8th was quite warm and people on the cruise were prepared for the worst (cold, rainy, damp and maybe snow)!

I live in NE Wisc. layers work well and I wasn't dragging along a winter jacket, I would wear for freezing temps here. Many people were so over dressed at all the ports, then complaining about having to carry jackets!!!

I realize it could have been 30-40s, just as easily as high 60s to 70, but this is why layers work great. I was on the cruise prior, which left Ft. L. April 17th, and the crossing was exceptional and the only damp, rainy day was in Belgium and I still wouldn't classify it as bad.

Every place we went (11 ports for the 25 days), I would say above normal temps, very little rain, very sunny. I want to do the Baltic cruise again and I know odds are won't repeat this stretch of weather!

Old 05-27-2016, 05:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,160 times
Edit

Old 05-27-2016, 05:24 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
May in russia could be tricky, with either snow or 35c weather. When I was born it was like 38c outside. I remember many times it was very nice in the second half of May

Old 05-27-2016, 05:36 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Your right.......they are ABOUT the same! December isn't though but January temperatures are ABOUT the same as Decembers, RIGHT GEORGE?
Nobody on this forum agrees with you. You have the intelligence level of a Sea Cucumber.
Why can't you write a post without putting words in caps? Is there something wrong with your keyboard?
You're seemingly quite an angry little man, that really doesn't like being told that he may be wrong. All you're doing is trolling this forum with your nonsense. You clearly don't know anything about weather, or even your local climate, yet you keep coming back to argue with people over such nonsensical things. Why is that?

Perhaps I'm being harsh on the Sea Cucumber.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:16 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There were two small low-pressure systems (over Åland and Saint Petersburg) who are dying out quickly and will open the gates for warm air from the SE. 27C possible in inland Finland on Monday and Tuesday.
First 30°C+ days in western Norway next week? http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&CEL=C&SI=mph&CONT=euro&LAND=NO®ION=0 004&WMO=01337&LEVEL=52&R=0&NOREGION=1

Old 05-28-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I was on a Baltic cruise, May 1st - May 12th and was very surprised how nice the weather was! St. Petersburg, May 7th and 8th was quite warm and people on the cruise were prepared for the worst (cold, rainy, damp and maybe snow)!

I live in NE Wisc. layers work well and I wasn't dragging along a winter jacket, I would wear for freezing temps here. Many people were so over dressed at all the ports, then complaining about having to carry jackets!!!

I realize it could have been 30-40s, just as easily as high 60s to 70, but this is why layers work great. I was on the cruise prior, which left Ft. L. April 17th, and the crossing was exceptional and the only damp, rainy day was in Belgium and I still wouldn't classify it as bad.

Every place we went (11 ports for the 25 days), I would say above normal temps, very little rain, very sunny. I want to do the Baltic cruise again and I know odds are won't repeat this stretch of weather!
I'm not trying to be rude, but it could've been a good idea to look up the climatic averages. Or asked someone here. For example I'm living on the shores of the Baltic Sea. The May average high is 61F in Saint Petersburg, and as spring is the driest season of the year (May averages less than 2" of rain), you were evidently prepared for the worst scenario possible. May is one of the sunniest months as well.
To see snow and 30's at daytime or as a daily mean temp is extremely rare in St. Pete in May, you were a month late for that.

The temps were indeed higher than average during the 1-15 May period, 5F or so on average, but that is not anything out of the ordinary. Such stretches happen every May. How long they might take, that's a different story.

Sure, spring is very variable and depending on the day you might see rain and below 50F highs, as well as 80's and full sunshine, so it was good of you to be prepared for variable weather. But that is pretty much the limit. Say a 48F high and a bit below freezing during the night is as worst as you realistically can expect, and even that become much more rare after the first week.

For your odds to see similar conditions the next time you visit in May, I'd say it's 50-50. But tell your traveling companions to leave their snow gear and thick winter jackets at home. You won't be needing them. A light but waterproof jacket and a cardigan is what you realistically need, as well as t-shirts and sunglasses.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Warmest in the north today:

Old 05-28-2016, 11:23 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,396,425 times
A lot of thunder over Europe right now with more than 50000 strikes in the past two hours
Attached Thumbnails
Climate talk: Europe-screenshot_538.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather