Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 12:07 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times

Advertisements

Mean summer temp for Church Fenton is 15.7c, I'd assume the centre of Leeds would be between 16-17c or so?

Heathrow's summer mean is 17.9c, Central London's is 19.1c.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Mean summer temp for Church Fenton is 15.7c, I'd assume the centre of Leeds would be between 16-17c or so?

Heathrow's summer mean is 17.9c, Central London's is 19.1c.
You could safely add on 0.5-1C onto the means if you're talking about the centre of Leeds or York. Leeds is obviously bigger, but York is very densely populated towards the centre, and is always warmer than Linton.
There are no population centres within a fair few miles of Linton or Church Fenton. Both places have had some impressive winter temperatures too in recent years. Around -19C in Church Fenton in 2010!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
You'd be better off checking the wiki data for York, as the Leeds data is from the airport, and isn't representative of the area at all. The data for York is out in the middle of the countryside, and as I work there, I know there's usually a couple of degree difference in the lows between there and where I live. York and Leeds will both be warmer than Wellington in summer.
York has 15.6C as a summer average, which is still 1.6C colder than Wellington, so the UHI would have to be very significant for York or Leeds to be warmer than Wellington.

Both the Wellington airport and Kelburn sites are considered not to have significant UHI, due to their exposure to wind,. While areas in Wellington believed to be warmest, don't have official recording sites.

I don't think it's likely that Leeds or York are warmer than Wellington during summer.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:20 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
York has 15.6C as a summer average, which is still 1.6C colder than Wellington, so the UHI would have to be very significant for York or Leeds to be warmer than Wellington.

Both the Wellington airport and Kelburn sites are considered not to have significant UHI, due to their exposure to wind,. While areas in Wellington believed to be warmest, don't have official recording sites.

I don't think it's likely that Leeds or York are warmer than Wellington during summer.
You're right, sorry I was looking at the Kelburn climate box! The airport is warmer, certainly the lows. There's no way we average 14.5C lows in in our warmest month. Maybe 13C at the most. Highs, rainfall and sunshine seem pretty similar in our respective warmest months though.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
You're right, sorry I was looking at the Kelburn climate box! The airport is warmer, certainly the lows. There's no way we average 14.5C lows in in our warmest month. Maybe 13C at the most. Highs, rainfall and sunshine seem pretty similar in our respective warmest months though.
Highs are reasonably close, with the warmest parts of Wellington at (Upper Hutt) just over 23C in the warmest month and 17.8C for the summer average. Sunshine would be a bit more in Wellington allowing for latitude. Rain ism't too different.

Overall it could be considered similar to Portsmouth, but without heat waves

Old 07-09-2016, 02:52 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Yes, I was basing my comments on Kelburn. The highs at Wellington Airport are a bit higher in December and February (our June and August) but the same in January (our July).

Lows are higher, even accounting for UHI. I believe the centre of Leeds has average lows in July and August of 13C but daytime highs are usually more or less the same as Church Fenton, a little higher during heatwaves but not by much. York would probably be the same. UHI doesn't really affect daytime temperatures much.

Wellington's record highs are surprisingly low - a record high of 30.1C, compared to Leeds' record high of 34.4C.

Aberdeen is pretty similar to Dunedin in summer. Even sunshine is broadly comparable. In fact, Aberdeen and Dunedin would be more or less identical if Dunedin was colder in winter by 3-4 degrees.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:16 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
CFSv2 is all blue

GEFS not as much with even above normal anomalies for England

11-15 day even warmer

ECMWF has strong low over the Ukraine in 10 days

Old 07-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, I was basing my comments on Kelburn. The highs at Wellington Airport are a bit higher in December and February (our June and August) but the same in January (our July).

Lows are higher, even accounting for UHI. I believe the centre of Leeds has average lows in July and August of 13C but daytime highs are usually more or less the same as Church Fenton, a little higher during heatwaves but not by much. York would probably be the same. UHI doesn't really affect daytime temperatures much.

Wellington's record highs are surprisingly low - a record high of 30.1C, compared to Leeds' record high of 34.4C.

Aberdeen is pretty similar to Dunedin in summer. Even sunshine is broadly comparable. In fact, Aberdeen and Dunedin would be more or less identical if Dunedin was colder in winter by 3-4 degrees.
Wellington is just a warmer Portsmouth with an extra 200 hours of sun. An extra 21 rain days but double the rainfall as well. It's cool record highs just reflect the coastal exposure it gets - a very scenic city.

Aberdeen is a poor match for Dunedin. Teignmouth but with 1.5C cooler summers would be a better comparison.

Dunedin is NZ's gloomy gothic capital. It does get some nice days but the gloom is really part of the vibe there. I remember a clear summer day there where breath could still be seen mid morning as well as some hot foehn days.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 AM

607 posts, read 648,244 times
The closest (traditional) match for Wellington in the UK would be in Devon or Cornwall, which get more sunshine in summer but also lower record highs, and milder winters. However sunshine there has by all accounts plummeted in summer since 2007 as well.

Richard's comments re wind direction: here summers used to have little wind, usually a slight breeze that could come from any direction depending on where exactly the Azores/Euro highs entered themselves. Now a brisk W-ly is common, often veering NWly. That fits in with more E-ly winds around Aberdeen- it means lows that used to pass north of the UK now anchor themselves over it or just to the west (off N Ireland seems to be a favoured spot). It's changed completely. The highs that used to push right over England don't cross the Channel any more.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times
Out most common wind directions are SW, W and S. It feels like we never get SW or S winds any more, but we always get N or E winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.