Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 02:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
It's a shame that we are not 10 degrees further south, as Cornwall has some lovely beaches that would be perfect in warmer weather! I am not too sure of the main fishes eaten, but I do know that lobster is a specialty in summer

There will at least be lots of evergreen species and palms to your tastes! Even if the weather doesn't feel as warm as it should do for the types of plant

Speaking of palm trees, didn't realise they had planted loads in the High St in Peckham, London:
Very nice photos! Lobster sounds good and probably really nice fish and chips spots. Good pubs around the area I'll bet. It's on my list. Is that a popular spot to live in the UK with the very mild winters and scenery?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
It's a shame that we are not 10 degrees further south, as Cornwall has some lovely beaches that would be perfect in warmer weather! I am not too sure of the main fishes eaten, but I do know that lobster is a specialty in summer

There will at least be lots of evergreen species and palms to your tastes! Even if the weather doesn't feel as warm as it should do for the types of plant

Speaking of palm trees, didn't realise they had planted loads in the High St in Peckham, London:

Wonder what kind of palm trees those are in London in that public planting? They don't look familiar to me.

The only public plantings you see like that in the Southeast are almost always sabal palmettos.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wonder what kind of palm trees those are in London in that public planting? They don't look familiar to me.

The only public plantings you see like that in the Southeast are almost always sabal palmettos.
Shaved ones -I've read about, but haven't seen it .

Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:

They look horrendous. They just don't fit in with the surroundings, or climate.
I find Palms in this country, unless by the coast, just don't look right. The odd one in a garden is ok, but mass planting like that is horrible.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:19 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Very nice photos! Lobster sounds good and probably really nice fish and chips spots. Good pubs around the area I'll bet. It's on my list. Is that a popular spot to live in the UK with the very mild winters and scenery?
Yeah fish and chips is popular and especially in coastal areas in the UK! Lots of pubs likely as well..

Cornwall, Devon and the surrounding areas are popular with older people and those that have retired, probably due to the mild and fairly consistent weather, though not quite as popular as the south coast further east around Portsmouth - Eastbourne - Worthing - Brighton etc, which are much sunnier (around 1900+hours of sunshine vs 1600) and get warmer summers too.

Last December was exceptionally mild in the area, the lowest max in December 2015 for Plymouth was 11.5C, and the lowest minimum 5.7C! The month as a whole averages 12.9C/10.6C which is pretty ridiculous.

[url=http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3827&mois=12&annee=2015]Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Plymouth (UK)[/url]

Weather is not really a reason to live here though, it's pretty wet, not that sunny either, but it stays mild in winter, and snowfall is pretty rare/ almost non existent at coastal areas. Lots of lovely scenery to view though, nice countryside and beautiful coast! Very popular with surfers, although a wetsuit is definitely needed

Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Cornwall is lovely, but like Irlinit says, the climate really isn't great. Rarely ever gets cold though, so if you prefer mild weather year round, then that's your place to be.

There's some lovely beaches. I worked at Culdrose for a while, which is down in southern Cornwall, and some of the beaches are stunning. Unfortunately they are ruined by the highly unpredictable weather there. Some summer days could easily pass for winter there when it's wet and windy.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Cornwall is lovely, but like Irlinit says, the climate really isn't great. Rarely ever gets cold though, so if you prefer mild weather year round, then that's your place to be.

There's some lovely beaches. I worked at Culdrose for a while, which is down in southern Cornwall, and some of the beaches are stunning. Unfortunately they are ruined by the highly unpredictable weather there. Some summer days could easily pass for winter there when it's wet and windy.
Yep

I haven't actually been to Cornwall, though I've been to Devon and Dorset a fair number of times and they aren't too dissimilar! Basically you wouldn't go there for the weather lol. There seems to be this stereotypical view that SW England is the best spot for warm weather in the UK, but it is not true at all.. heatwaves are non existent down there, and as mentioned before it is much wetter than eastern areas.. York and Leeds have better summers than Cornwall!

Old 08-02-2016, 02:53 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
I've been to Cornwall 3 times before. Looe and Padstow were sunny and felt warm-ish. Land's End was mostly cloudy/rainy and extremely windy.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Yep

I haven't actually been to Cornwall, though I've been to Devon and Dorset a fair number of times and they aren't too dissimilar! Basically you wouldn't go there for the weather lol. There seems to be this stereotypical view that SW England is the best spot for warm weather in the UK, but it is not true at all.. heatwaves are non existent down there, and as mentioned before it is much wetter than eastern areas.. York and Leeds have better summers than Cornwall!
Devon and Dorset both have better summers, and obviously further East you go the better they get. Yeah it's probably a bit better here in summer. I lived in Yeovil before, and considering it's not too far from Cornwall, summer in Yeovil is much better. I think even Exeter is considerably better than Cornwall.
Culdrose and The Lizard get a lot of fog, wind and rain, but when the sun is out its very nice. The sun is noticeably stronger there than here too.
They make up for the disappointing weather with their scenery though, well, almost make up for it anyway!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Places like Somerset are pretty similar to here in summer. Really not much difference. Cornwall is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather