Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Generally true but would not include Windmill palms or sabal palmetto's. Where those can grow in the eastern US does not mean citrus or fresh orange juice.
Yep, that would be harsh -close but no coconut, as they say (do they say that in America?)

Quote:
Cold lovers usually have no interest in palms/citrus, and very limited interest in gardening. I cannot point to one single cold lover on the numerous garden forums I'm on. In fact, by and large they don't like cold cause of what it does to gardening.

Edit added: and it would be one freakish winter if our willows were out in late February. I'm at your latitude.
I'll get some photos of willows today -very yellow here at present, with Acacias in full bloom and clouds of pine pollen making for a hazy look.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
But you need to do a fair comparasion,you are always comparing Eastern US with Western coast climates like Western Europe etc,trying to make your climate climate colder than it really are,on the truth,your climate are nothing but normal for its location on Eastern Coast of a giant continent
East Coast Argentina at the same latitudes as Northeast US is like a paradise

Old 08-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Theres just 700km from Chilean coast to Argentinean Coast,while in North America,its more than 4000km.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
But you need to do a fair comparasion,you are always comparing Eastern US with Western coast climates like Western Europe etc,trying to make your climate climate colder than it really are,on the truth,your climate are nothing but normal for its location on Eastern Coast of a giant continent

You realize there are only two examples of this on the planet. You act as if there are multiple cases of eastern climates as cold as ours. Just us and East Asia.

Now, the point you keep missing is, what if the Rocky Mountains were east-west and ran along the Canadian border? Would my Jan avg temp be 40/25 with an avg winter min temp of 7F? Would we ever go below 0F? Would there be palms here? What about places at my latitude and close to sea level in Central Asia? Take Tashkent. It is warmer in winter and summer yet thousands of miles away from any coast? Dushanbe? Heck, even Samarkand at over 2,000ft in elevation is warmer than I am in January.

Stop using two tiny examples of my latitude and acting as if it is normal for my latitude. Vast stretches of this planet at my latitude and elevation are just simply not as cold as I am in winter.

And you know why? Cause North America has lousy geography (if you like stable mild winters).

Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

He has only one other climate he keeps using and that is East Asia. Just silly and there are loads of places in Central Asia far far from any ocean but have mountains or a stable Siberian High protecting them.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
You realize there are only two examples of this on the planet. You act as if there are multiple cases of eastern climates as cold as ours. Just us and East Asia.

Now, the point you keep missing is, what if the Rocky Mountains were east-west and ran along the Canadian border? Would my Jan avg temp be 40/25 with an avg winter min temp of 7F? Would we ever go below 0F? Would there be palms here? What about places at my latitude and close to sea level in Central Asia? Take Tashkent. It is warmer in winter and summer yet thousands of miles away from any coast? Dushanbe? Heck, even Samarkand at over 2,000ft in elevation is warmer than I am in January.

Stop using two tiny examples of my latitude and acting as if it is normal for my latitude. Vast stretches of this planet at my latitude and elevation are just simply not as cold as I am in winter.

And you know why? Cause North America has lousy geography (if you like stable mild winters).
I agree that Central Asia is warm because the Mountains blocks the Siberian Cold.

But by latitude,Northeastern Asia are far,far colder than North America at same latitude,if you see the averages and record lows for cities like Beijing,Seoul,Pyongyang,the cold there are so strong that even Japan,who are surrounded by water,get very cold winter temperatures,examples are Akita and Asahikawa,to me,Usa may seems like a paradise close to them.

I aggree that Subtropical areas of US(around 30N to 35N),may get colder lows than China,just because in Eastern North America there are none great mountain range to block the cold,but when the latitude increases(above 35N),when there are no more mountains,the climate in Northeastern Asia became a true winter hell.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I agree that Central Asia is warm because the Mountains blocks the Siberian Cold.

But by latitude,Northeastern Asia are far,far colder than North America at same latitude,if you see the averages and record lows for cities like Beijing,Seoul,Pyongyang,the cold there are so strong that even Japan,who are surrounded by water,get very cold winter temperatures,examples are Akita and Asahikawa,to me,Usa may seems like a paradise close to them.

I agree with you now. Mountains would have gone a long way to helping us.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most people don't like London because they think it is always overcast, windy and rainy.

Today is a very average late summer day yet the sun is shining through the window, and there is no breeze or rain. Must be a floodlight or something.
I would say that since the beginning of July as an average 2 out of every 3 days here in Sussex have been sunny days, I mean how much 'overcast, windy and rainy' days do people seriously think the UK has? I reckon its rained at most 5 days here since the beginning of July! Looking outside now........Sunny skies and warm (26 degrees C) AGAIN here. Now I know that I live in the sunnier drier part of the UK but seriously this 'overcast windy rainy' stereotype is ridiculous, no wonder the tourists here are so badly dressed!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I get called out all the time by Alex and TommyFL when they think something I posted shows my "cool-bias".
The time I did that I wasn't posting for KB, I was posting for Miami (MIA) and I didn't pay attention to the map and chose the area a few miles west of the airport rather than the area of the airport itself. When I post winter forecasts for KB I usually post forecasts for Matheson Hammock Park (East of Pinecrest on the coast)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Heathrow currently has 97% of the August average sunshine - will it reach 100?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather