Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Albuquerque, NM v. El Paso, TX v. Tucson, AZ
Albuquerque, NM 18 52.94%
El Paso, TX 5 14.71%
Tucson, AZ 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2017, 10:30 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times

Advertisements

I am interested in opinions on the climate in three regional Southwest cities - Albuquerque, NM (high desert; high Chihuahuan Desert), El Paso, TX (lower Chihuahuan Desert), and low Sonoran Desert's Tucson, AZ.

These three cities probably share more in common than they do apart, as all three are very arid, dry places with not a great deal of precipitation. All three average between 75% to 90% sunny days. All are multi-seasonal but would be considered on the very mild side for 4-season towns.

In Tucson, summers are very hot (although not Phoenix hot) but winters are terribly mild. In El Paso, slightly cooler but yet still sizzling summers and quite mild winters (not quite as mild as Tucson but close). In Albuquerque, summers are hot yet cooling at night makes temps very pleasant; winters are typically in the 50s during the high of the day but get into the teens and twenties in the evening. Due to the altitude, you are most likely to have a chance to see snow in Albuquerque (although it is still fairly rare).

As sparse as rainfall is in all three towns, all three generate on average their most moisture in the summer months due to the southwestern monsoon.

Here are temps on average of the cities comparatively (all three very pleasant if you ask me):

Albuquerque: Climate in Albuquerque, New Mexico

El Paso: Climate in El Paso, Texas

Tucson: Climate in Tucson, Arizona

So what say you? Who has the best climate in three fairly similarly matched cities?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 AM

By the way, my personal vote is for El Paso, TX as personally I find El Paso to have the most pleasant 4-season climate in the US. The summers bake but are still not horrendous due to the dryness and the altitude of the city; nights are often very pleasant in El Paso summer months due to the cooling effects of the high desert. El Paso winters are heaven to me...about 5 to 6 inches of rapidly melting snowfall, very warm average daytimes and some mild winter-esque temps overnight...you experience all 4 seasons in El Paso but all are rather mild.

I actually would have to flip a coin between Albuquerque and Tucson. As a warm weather fan, I prefer Tucson in the winter however Albuquerque's summers are more pleasant/tolerable due to the high desert (although they still scorch, they are nothing like Tucson's vicious summers).

All-in-all, these are three of my favorite climates of big cities in the entire US. I would be in heaven living in all three climates year-round. However, El Paso wins by a nose for me.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM

7,211 posts, read 3,086,302 times
Albuquerque, for the colder winters and less warm summers than El Paso and Tucson.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
Albuquerque is my favorite since it has the coolest winters out of the three. If I were to choose a Desert SW city or town to live in, it'd probably be somewhere like Flagstaff or maybe even Taos, NM.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,992 times
Albuquerque, it's a top-tier desert climate. Winter temperatures are roughly in my sweet spot. Summers are sunny and hot, although they're a bit too hot for my liking, they're cooler than the other options.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Albuquerque is my favorite since it has the coolest winters out of the three. If I were to choose a Desert SW city or town to live in, it'd probably be somewhere like Flagstaff or maybe even Taos, NM.
Wow, Flagstaff looks incredible. The scenery ain't bad either!

The lows throughout the year are a bit too cold for my liking, 7 months with freezing lows! But the winter snow looks heavenly.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If I were to choose a Desert SW city or town to live in, it'd probably be somewhere like Flagstaff or maybe even Taos, NM.
Yes, you are a fan of cool weather/winter! Both Flagstaff and Taos are gorgeous areas, however, both get a LOT of snow and cold weather as you know. For me, both were nice getaway options from Albuquerque when the summertimes got a little too scorching, however, winters would be tough for me in either (although still nicer than here in the Milwaukee area due to the sunshine).

Old 06-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Wow, Flagstaff looks incredible. The scenery ain't bad either!

The lows throughout the year are a bit too cold for my liking, 7 months with freezing lows! But the winter snow looks heavenly.
Flagstaff has a normal low temp of +2.8°C today. Their normal low doesn't hit 10°C until July 8th. And their last day with a normal low of 10°C is August 10th. By September 30th, their normal low is back down to 2.8°C again. At night, heat is required year round there.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Tucson easily for the best winters.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,229 times
Cooler Albuquerque

Hot dog - jumping frog ......... Albuquerque
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather