Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:36 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Nothing of them has a bad climate. May be ones like Winnipeg and Saskatoon are too cold in winter, but they also have marvellous summer weather.

Nothing is better than feeling of cool, crisp air. I always couldn't understand how people prefer hot weather over cool and refreshing.

By topic: Manila is horrible, but Mecca is much worse.
Oh sure they do, mosquitoes are so bad you can't even go outside. Sounds great to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,503,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Nothing of them has a bad climate. May be ones like Winnipeg and Saskatoon are too cold in winter, but they also have marvellous summer weather.
Ridiculous. Here we are only 68 days from the summer solstice and everything in vast regions of Western Canada is essentially dead with no indication of anything coming to life anytime soon. There is absolutely no sign of spring anywhere (except BC). The poor people of Winnipeg are still dealing with overnight lows of close to -20C. This after a March whose mean temperature was colder than an average January in Moscow.

For Winnipeg, when winter finally ends, the brief summer will consist only of episodes of intolerable humidity alternating with recurrent northerly blasts of arctic air. The only constant will be the mosquitoes. Edmonton in summer will be even worse because we won't even have the benefit of the hot weather Winnipeg gets. All we get are the mosquitoes.

To say summer in Winnipeg and Saskatoon (and Edmonton) is marvelous belies the truly dismal climate of the Canadian prairies. Give me Malabo's climate anytime.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 PM

753 posts, read 837,521 times
Well I gotta disagree with you guys - I can't speak for Edmonton or Winnipeg, but I definitely think Saskatoon has marvelous summers

Definitely their biggest drawback is that they're much too short, but otherwise I love them - pleasantly warm temperatures in the mid-20s most days with a handful of hot days and occasional periods of higher humidity as well as the occasional cooler day, beautiful but generally non-destructive thunderstorms, long days and living skies with beautiful cloud formations and sunsets, beautiful green scenery (I think the prairies are really incredible when they're at their greenest)...

I sure prefer all that over what we get here on the coast - days above 25°C are rare, real thunderstorms only happen once every few years (any rain we get is usually light rain during a cool overcast day), no really interesting or intense cloud formations most of the time, the topography and urban form of this place (as amazing as it is) makes it so that great sunset views are hard to come by, and the grass usually dies due to lack of moisture - summer out here is just day after day of clear blue skies and sunshine, bland yellow grass, and temperatures in the low 20s with little variation or interesting weather. A lot of people love it, and I will certainly admit that it is quite pleasant, but it's just not the same for me. Summer is one season from the prairies that I definitely miss out here in BC.

The mosquitoes can be annoying in Saskatoon but they're certainly not the first thing I think of when I think of summertime on the prairies. Yeah, they can be annoying when you're out for a walk shortly after sunset, and you do need to have screens on your windows for a few months, but for the most part they've always just been a minor inconvenience for me and totally worth it for all the good parts of summer. That being said, I do hear that they're worse in your cities than mine.

And lastly, this endless cold at this time of the year isn't usual - the average high for this time of the year is 12°C. The endless continuing winter weather in 2013 and so far 2014 is extreme even by the standards of the prairies. Yeah, cold snaps can and do happen in the spring and are annoying, but (at least in Saskatoon) it's usually a few days here and there sandwiched by otherwise pleasant weather. Most years I was out comfortably wearing jeans and a hoodie by mid-April, not still bundled up, other than the occasional aforementioned cold snap day. And the fact that the days are getting longer and warmer temperatures are well on their way always made April a pleasant month overall for me. The last two have just been well below average.

It would definitely be nice if Western Canada had longer summers and shorter, milder winters, but as it is right now I still really enjoy the warmer half of the year on the prairies

Last edited by Morningrise; 04-15-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,503,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Well I gotta disagree with you guys - I can't speak for Edmonton or Winnipeg, but I definitely think Saskatoon has marvelous summers

Definitely their biggest drawback is that they're much too short, but otherwise I love them - pleasantly warm temperatures most days with a handful of hot days and occasional periods of higher humidity to make it feel like a "real" summer as well as the occasional cooler day, beautiful but generally non-destructive thunderstorms, long days and living skies with beautiful cloud formations and sunsets, not to mention the fact that I think the prairies are absolutely beautiful when they're green... I sure prefer all that over the two months of dry, sunny, blue-dome low 20s weather with little variation, no thunderstorms, etc. that we get out here on the coast. Summer is definitely the one season from the prairies that I miss out here in BC.

The mosquitoes can be annoying in Saskatoon but they're certainly not the first thing I think of when I think of summertime on the prairies. Yeah, they can be annoying when you're out for a walk shortly after sunset, and you need to have screens on your windows for a few months, but for the most part they've always just been a minor inconvenience for me and totally worth it for all the good parts of summer. That being said, I do hear that they're worse in your cities than mine.

And lastly, this endless cold at this time of the year isn't usual - the average high for this time of the year is 12°C. The endless continuing winter weather in 2013 and so far 2014 is extreme even by the standards of the prairies. Yeah, cold snaps can and do happen in the spring and are annoying, but (at least in Saskatoon) it's usually a few days here and there sandwiched by otherwise pleasant weather. Most years I was out comfortably wearing jeans and a hoodie by mid-April, not still bundled up, other than the occasional aforementioned cold snap day. And the fact that the days are getting longer and warmer temperatures are well on their way always made April a pleasant month overall for me.

It would definitely be nice if Western Canada had longer summers and shorter, milder winters, but as it is right now I still really enjoy the warmer half of the year on the prairies
Nice post; thank you.

The thing is, though, almost everything positive about a Saskatchewan (or Alberta or Manitoba) summer is also possible in places that don't have to endure the horrible purgatory that is the rest of our year. There are many, many places that enjoy non-destructive thunderstorms, beautiful clouds, greenery, and all the rest all that you lament about Saskatoon. However, in those places they can enjoy such things in their spring--or even in their winter. Perhaps the only exception is the long summer evenings of the prairies but this seems a reward not worth fighting for given everything else going on.

People in Canada, and on the prairies in particular, have this warped sense of what is normal for a climate. It is not normal to endure such a harsh winter. It is not normal to wait interminably for the first hint of spring. And it is not normal to have summer truncated prematurely by August frost or September snow. For most of the world jeans and a hoodie are winter clothes or, in many cases, completely superfluous at any time of the year.

I would estimate that 99% of the world's population lives somewhere warmer than Saskatoon or Edmonton. As such, these places should be considered outliers and not held up as beacons of happiness. The 8 to 10 weeks of decent weather that these places receive are not unique to the area and in fact serve only to accentuate the dismal reality of the rest of the year.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Ok, Mumbai may be worse than Manila. It has the same hot temperatures, but it gets almost 10 inches more rain per year
Mumbai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same for Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taipei is pretty bad too. It's as hot as Manila from May to September. It gets more rainfall (the same amount as Mumbai), and it gets little sunshine, even less than London. Maybe it's the cloudiest major city? But on the plus side, it has comfortable temperatures for most of the year.
Taipei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I'll take Manila, Bangkok, Jakarta and even Mecca over the northern cities of Russia, Scandinavia, British Isles, Canada...not even close.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 AM

361 posts, read 836,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'll take Manila, Bangkok, Jakarta and even Mecca over the northern cities of Russia, Scandinavia, British Isles, Canada...not even close.
Lol seriously me too, these threads seem so disconnected from reality, if these posters were the norm, Canada would be the world most populated country
And no Manilla has not the worst climate but one of the best.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM

242 posts, read 261,774 times
If the trolls on the Australian Weather Forum were the norm, the Svalbard Islands would be the world's most densely populated country. Iceland would be an annexed territory, with a capital city larger than New York.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,035 times
We get those thick comments on UK weather forums too.

We don't have a real summer here anyway, but you get nonsense like this:

Im hopeing for a repeat of 1816 - "the year without summer"!

Ah a man after me own heart. Wish all years would come without a summer. How neat would that be?

Well, the "year without a summer" happens every year in places like Nuuk, Reykjavik, Torshavn, Antarctica, and various other places. Nothing to stop you getting off your arse and walking in that general direction. You may need a rubber dinghy for the watery bits..... derp de herpy derpy.

As for Manila, it does seem pretty hot even for where it is located. The overnight lows are not even that nice to me. Would prefer a bit more moderation/variation. Obvissly, I don't find it the worst climate in the world, and clearly the OP would realise that places like Kuwait and Mecca are far worse in the heat stakes, if trying to make a point that it's Manila's heat that makes it the worst.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM

753 posts, read 837,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The thing is, though, almost everything positive about a Saskatchewan (or Alberta or Manitoba) summer is also possible in places that don't have to endure the horrible purgatory that is the rest of our year. There are many, many places that enjoy non-destructive thunderstorms, beautiful clouds, greenery, and all the rest all that you lament about Saskatoon. However, in those places they can enjoy such things in their spring--or even in their winter. Perhaps the only exception is the long summer evenings of the prairies but this seems a reward not worth fighting for given everything else going on.
This is definitely true, but of course packing up and moving to a warmer country isn't quite so simple so we're pretty much stuck with what we can get in Canada (and, obviously, there are many other positives to Canada that outweigh the winter weather).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The 8 to 10 weeks of decent weather that these places receive are not unique to the area and in fact serve only to accentuate the dismal reality of the rest of the year.
While the peak summer weather is definitely quite short, I actually really enjoy the entire period from about April/May through September. Basically once the snow melts and the temperatures are regularly above freezing each day I'm good to go until the snow returns in the fall.

I've also found that, by my personal standards, the periods of truly crappy winter weather and nice warm weather are actually about the same length in most cities in Canada - May through September is generally nice, November through March sucks, and April/October are hit-and-miss depending on location and year. The intensity of summer and winter vary greatly from place to place but the duration is generally pretty close in most places by my standards.

I should also mention that, unusual as I may be, I really love the open landscape and big sky of the prairies and when it's combined with the summer weather it creates some absolutely stunning visuals - from the cloud formations to the sunsets and everything else. That's one thing about the prairies that I think many other parts of the country don't experience the same way we do... Certainly here in Vancouver with mountains, tall trees, huge buildings, etc. (as much as I appreciate them) combined with either slate grey clouds during the rainy season or blue dome days in the summer makes it so I rarely see a sky full of intense cloud formations or out-of-this-world sunsets. I love the living skies of Saskatchewan and that's definitely one of the top things about summer that I miss out here.

Last edited by Morningrise; 04-15-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather