Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Well that's why I said "isn't even considered summer here"

I don't disagree at all. I'm just stating my preferences and the perceptions people have here.

Chicago's 88 days of summer: A temperature-defined season - Chicago Tribune

Come to think of it, I would up my qualifications for summer temps to 86F/30C. By that standard we only get about 45 days of summer

This is bull****
Hey, at least it will keep the crime low .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
At any rate, an average high below 27C isn't even considered summer here, and if that were to occur in July it's record breaking. Hell I barely consider our "summers" acceptable (this July certainly is becoming unacceptable) imagine what I think of when I see the averages from Northern and Northwest Europe.

You love to stir the pot, lol. You know that kind of talk riles up people in the UK.

I did notice in those summer pics from Leeds (I think) or York, the people wearing jackets around their waist. I didn't think people in the UK wore jackets in summer, but that photo certainly showed people with jackets, though certainly not all of them. I would think that even if acclimatised, a morning with temps in the 50's would feel more comfortable wearing a light jacket.

Your article about swimming with temps over 80F was interesting. I always felt that temps in the 70's is not summer, but that is because I grew up with that. I doubt people in Alaska need 70's to feel like it is summer.

One thing I don't like about cool summer climates is the lack of decent swimming. I would imagine backyard swimming pools in the UK having cold water. With nights in the 55 to 63F (13-17C) range as in late May early June, pool water around here is cold. You need consecutive days with bright sun and temps in the upper 80's to heat up the water, and warm nights to keep it from losing a lot of heat. Right now most people around here with backyard pools have water temps in the high 70's to low 80's F.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:48 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Make it stop!

Yet another above normal day here & for BDR.

Only 1 day was below normal(4th).

Out of 66 Julys on record, its been the 10th warmest start (as of the 8th)

Doesn't sound like a similar pattern to me. Seems like we entered a hot muggy above normal pattern here.

While the overall look and what's happening in general has been the same since February it seems like it wants to stay muggy and hot now.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Your article about swimming with temps over 80F was interesting. I always felt that temps in the 70's is not summer, but that is because I grew up with that. I doubt people in Alaska need 70's to feel like it is summer.
I need dewpoints in the 70s to truly feel like it is summer. Today it was 86F here but with a dewpoint of 57F and I view it like just a hot spring day, especially with no prospect of rain.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Make it stop!

Yet another above normal day here & for BDR.

Only 1 day was below normal(4th).

Out of 66 Julys on record, its been the 10th warmest start (as of the 8th)

Doesn't sound like a similar pattern to me. Seems like we entered a hot muggy above normal pattern here.

While the overall look and what's happening in general has been the same since February it seems like it wants to stay muggy and hot now.

Our temps have been close to normal more than above. We are running only around 1F above normal. I think compared to some of the recent really hot summers, this hasn't been too bad. Fear not, I think we will be getting a very, very cold winter coming up. That pool of warm water off Alaska is getting larger and stronger. I don't think that is going to go away for years. At least that is my fear that we are entering another decade like the 1980's.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The average lowest high temp reached each July is precisely 18.0°C. Apparently, since 2000, there have been no less than 17 sub-18°C highs at Heathrow airport.
25 here. 2000 holds the record with 5 days.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:

One thing I don't like about cool summer climates is the lack of decent swimming. I would imagine backyard swimming pools in the UK having cold water. With nights in the 55 to 63F (13-17C) range as in late May early June, pool water around here is cold. You need consecutive days with bright sun and temps in the upper 80's to heat up the water, and warm nights to keep it from losing a lot of heat. Right now most people around here with backyard pools have water temps in the high 70's to low 80's F.
Pools warm up very quickly with summer sun though. Night time temps are even colder here than the UK, but comfortable swimming typically commences in late Oct /early November.

While warmer nights would help, they certainly aren't essential.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Quote:
Do you think that is more or less than Paris or Berlin?
It's in between. For July,

Avg lowest high (1981-2010):
LDN 18.0°C
PAR 19.1°C
BER 17.4°C

# of days below 18°C (since 2000)
LDN 17
PAR 13
BER 28

And for heat:

# of days above 30°C (July since 2000)
LDN 31
PAR 69
BER 72

# of days above 32°C (ditto)
LDN 9
PAR 27
BER 40

# of days above 35°C (ditto)
LDN 1
PAR 7
BER 6

Quote:
Our temps have been close to normal more than above. We are running only around 1F above normal. I think compared to some of the recent really hot summers, this hasn't been too bad. Fear not, I think we will be getting a very, very cold winter coming up. That pool of warm water off Alaska is getting larger and stronger. I don't think that is going to go away for years. At least that is my fear that we are entering another decade like the 1980's.
Wouldn't warm water off Alaska mean more energy available for storms and less blocking up there?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:18 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Pools warm up very quickly with summer sun though. Night time temps are even colder here than the UK, but comfortable swimming typically commences in late Oct /early November.

While warmer nights would help, they certainly aren't essential.
Much stronger sun perhaps?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM

29,510 posts, read 19,610,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Wouldn't warm water off Alaska mean more energy available for storms and less blocking up there?
It cause the jet to bulge north over the western part of the northern hemisphere and to dip south over the eastern part.

As for this upcoming winter Bastardi believes the El Niño will be Modiki as was the case in 09'. The winter was pretty fierce here. Don't know if we will have the same setup. I'm more worried about the test of this summer right now. Definitely contemplating going to Florida or Mexico at the end of the month if forecast pans out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather