Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 05:06 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Upper flow First 7 days of June this year on left... Normal on right...

1. This year the polar Jet Stream hung around longer and you can see the dips and rises of the Jet still happened and the pesky Upper Level Low of the Northeast coast.

2. In warm months the Northern Jet retreats and the flow is flatter across the U.S. The dips are in Canada and even Northern New England gets influenced by a cool flow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, you'll like Monday to Thursday period.. Looks like 70s for lows for couple days and 80s/90s for few days. Only thing I'm thinking is that rain and storms might hold back some 90s in spots.

And instead of Wednesday being the warmest as was shown couple days ago now it's pushed back to Thursday. Here's GFS12z Max temps for Thursday. Widespread 90s into Vermont
I'm glad the map only indicates low 80s for my area
chicagogeorge can enjoy his low 90s....I prefer upper 70s to low 80s....warm enough for me

Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 AM

Enjoy this weekend and next week Northeast. They will be few and far in between at least for next 4 weeks. Flow goes back to Northwest with a trough AND another Upper Level Low forming off the coast again.

It's going to be a great Summer.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Wonderful misty morning in CNJ. Upper 50's-low 60's in my area now depending upon tree cover. As usual, we are on the cooler end .

Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 AM

I smell firewood in the air. Not a smell you get in mid June. LOL. Someone must of had the itch.

This was the 9am EST temps and departures.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Getting a sense of deja vu. Like it's yesterday all over again. Today's high temperature forecast has once again dropped. And if it just stays cloudy all day I don't see it warming up much at all either.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Here are a couple experimental model forecast for the summer

Forecast Model Ensemble Forecasts for July and August - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog

Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Enjoy this weekend and next week Northeast. They will be few and far in between at least for next 4 weeks. Flow goes back to Northwest with a trough AND another Upper Level Low forming off the coast again.

It's going to be a great Summer.

Is it possible we are going to get a summer with lots of north to east/southeast winds? Those are my favorite in summer. No real heat, temps around average, and nice warm ocean water. What do you think? The worst of the worst are southwest winds with cold ocean water (upwelling) and very hot temps. Ugh.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is it possible we are going to get a summer with lots of north to east/southeast winds? Those are my favorite in summer. No real heat, temps around average, and nice warm ocean water. What do you think? The worst of the worst are southwest winds with cold ocean water (upwelling) and very hot temps. Ugh.
First nei surprises me, now you're saying you don't want hot temps?? lol I guess the impression has been all wrong all along.

Personally, to be honest... I think we stay volatile. I think the general upper flow will be southwest or west, the mid level will fluctuate a lot more and will be northwest, west, south and southeast at times.

One thing I keep wanting to rule out is a southeast surface flow. I don't see the Bermuda High a big factor this year. Which means humidity stays at bay.

Here's the current setup at the mid levels.

1. How is a ridge or Bermuda high going to setup with these troughs and ULLs around?

2. You can see why north of Virginia is under the unsettled cooler influence not just because of clouds. Follow the flow from Canada to Kentucky and Northeast. Meanwhile Virginia southward "had" that warm Southwest flow hence the 80s/90s

3. Low over Northeast Minnesota and Upper Low in Atlantic will move out and the return southwest flow comes and hits us...hence the warm up this weekend and next..

4. It's interesting to see this setup as I mentioned last week.. it's not a warm season setup.

5. Bottom line, there's been no pronounced or persistent ridge anywhere lately. Kind of a mess with swings in both directions.

Even my theory on a central ridge this summer is getting squashed lately. I think it pops back up as soon as the pattern relaxes. I still say the true heat will be in central U.S.

Did I babble too much? lol

Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
the flow from Canada to Kentucky

This season belongs to the Gulf of Mexico not Canada! It's about time for the tropical flow to take back control of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather