Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the same heat index, which is more preferable?
Humid 29 40.85%
Dry 42 59.15%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronski View Post
I really want to experience dry heat once or twice just to know how it feels.
All you need to do is try Mediterranean climates located away to the sea from mid June to late August, as for instance anywhere in Spain or Portugal beyond 100 km away to the coast, (except the far north).
It's dry heat but still confortable, whereas such places located in subtropical deserts, as for instance Sahara desert, are extremely dry hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And good post about being able to at least perspire in dry heat and cool down naturally as much as possible, while drinking constantly. I think that's why I prefer dry heat, it seems like sweating doesn't help cool me down in the humid heat.
I don't really sweat in dry weather, the heat just builds up inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
On humid days, everything just looks so alive and stimulated.
Totally agree, that is a great way of putting it.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:13 AM

30,365 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronski View Post
How brutal is it?
I see you're at a location at 6 degrees S so I guess you're accustomed to humidity?

In New Orleans, any time I walk outside except in winter, I immediately start to perspire. Any exercise brings a ton of sweat. Seems worse than Bangkok.

In a dry heat like Phoenix, the sun may sear you during the day but at night and early morning, you can still exercise or do something outside in relative comfort.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I don't really sweat in dry weather, the heat just builds up inside.

Totally agree, that is a great way of putting it.
You sweat very well in dry weather. You are just unaware of it as no moisture forms on the skin. You sweat more in dry than in wet.

That is why hot climates require hydration.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
I voted humid, but I don't mind both. The only reason I like humid is because I know how to gauge my water consumption better to stay hydrated. In a dry heat it's a guess because when you sweat it evaporates rapidly.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Humid, for me.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
i absolutely hate humidity. i will take 0% even in winter when it breaks out your skin in dry patches and destroys my lips. i HATE humidity. it is really nasty. i LOVED vegas in july. super hot but super low humidity. i was very comfortable.

in my 20s, i was able to visit various asian countries (5'9" at 145). now at 37, that i have gained a bit of weight (160 lbs. now), i feel hot very quickly. because of high humidity, i can no longer visit asia EVEN in the winter! it's that bad for me. here in new york city, i always have AC on or the nice cold and dry air of the winter/fall. i was just in asia during dec. 2013 and i had to shower 4-5 times a day just to be able to get through the day. i left in a few days. it was a nightmare. in new york city, i shower just once, and maybe twice but that's good for me.

here's a pic of me, having come out of the COLD water shower at midnight at gold's gym in mumbai in december. the guys in the pic are freezing and have started a bonfire yet i am *still* hot so i wear shorts and a tshirt while riding in a tuk tuk/rickshaw. the wind did nothing for me regards to cooling me off/down. not good.
Attached Thumbnails
Dry heat vs humid heat with same heat index-.jpg  

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-19-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i absolutely hate humidity. i will take 0% even in winter when it breaks out your skin in dry patches and destroys my lips. i HATE humidity. it is really nasty. i LOVED vegas in july. super hot but super low humidity. i was very comfortable.

in my 20s, i was able to visit various asian countries (5'9" at 145). now at 37, that i have gained a bit of weight (160 lbs. now), i feel hot very quickly. because of high humidity, i can no longer visit asia EVEN in the winter! it's that bad for me. here in new york city, i always have AC on or the nice cold and dry air of the winter/fall. i was just in asia during dec. 2013 and i had to shower 4-5 times a day just to be able to get through the day. i left in a few days. it was a nightmare. in new york city, i shower just once, and maybe twice but that's good for me.
Also, some NYC apartments are heated for housing tropical reptiles in winter .

I absolutely ABHOR heat, . But, to the contrary, dry heat bothers me the most. My skin is very sensitive to dryness, and the heat just compounds to even more discomfort.

And I agree that though Mumbai humidity is just choking UGH, Phoenix was just unbearable for me. Ooty is my Ideal climate in India.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,137 times
Lets see, I have worked on planes in Phoenix when it is 115 and yes its hot, but you can drink enough water and stay comfortable because you can sweat. I worked on a DC-3 in Clearwater, FL when it was 85-90 and high humidity and it was hell on earth. I was in Oshkosh when it was 95+ and 80% and again it was hell on earth, you could not sweat enough or drink enough to cool down. I went to the museum there to cool off, 90 min later my shirt was still wet.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:22 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I was in Oshkosh when it was 95+ and 80%
There was a dew point of 88 in Oshkosh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather