U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Status: "131." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Sheffield, England
3,530 posts, read 910,158 times
Reputation: 1925

Advertisements

Honestly Northern England has one of the worst climates of anywhere in the world during summer. Especially when it's in the low teens with frontal rain spinning constantly on top of us but 30°C in Scandinavia over 10° latitude northwards of us. Not to mention the constant cloud. Northern England only averages 35% of the maximum possible sunshine in a "normal" summer, let alone a non-summer like this one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
3,568 posts, read 1,529,784 times
Reputation: 9048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Honestly Northern England has one of the worst climates of anywhere in the world during summer. Especially when it's in the low teens with frontal rain spinning constantly on top of us but 30°C in Scandinavia over 10° latitude northwards of us. Not to mention the constant cloud. Northern England only averages 35% of the maximum possible sunshine in a "normal" summer, let alone a non-summer like this one.

It was on an August Sunday in Ireland several years ago, it was 12 degrees Celsius outside and the rain was relentlessly hammering against my windows. I was on my couch wrapped in blankets, and that's when I had enough of that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:17 AM
 
11,269 posts, read 7,294,401 times
Reputation: 29945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
This is a pretty hilarious rant because even though it is absurd, irrational hyperbole it does feel familiar. People living in cool temperate climates get super emotional about summer and the risk of a 'ruined' summer. I know because I was one of them growing up. If May and early June are cooler than average, people get legit anxious and you'll hear proclamations of how summer will be skipped this year etc. The length of winter and the relative shortness of the summer weather time window seems to turn many people into nervous wrecks.
This is funny, because we have the exact same phenomenon in Southern California, only in reverse. After the long, long, long warm dry season, people are desperate for cool weather and rain (which is our equivalent of "winter"). If it's still warm and dry in November and early December, as it is often is, everyone starts to worry about whether we just won't have winter that year. They moan about how it "just doesn't seem like the holidays" and they can't wear their sweaters and boots and how lucky everyone is who lives where it snows. But they don't really want snow. All it takes is a sprinkle of rain and temps down to the mid-60s and everyone is happy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn Center, MN
6,604 posts, read 4,569,847 times
Reputation: 8608
The Persian Gulf.


I can't believe how many people think a little snow and rain is soooo awful but scorching heat (plus with humidity too) is just peachy? Nasty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn Center, MN
6,604 posts, read 4,569,847 times
Reputation: 8608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's funny how most people seem to be selecting areas with cold climates. I'm the opposite. Although -45 is certainly not to my liking, hot weather and I don't get along, so areas such as the Eastern African Interior would be off my bucket list for sure.

I'm the same way. I was in the negative 20s last winter and yea it was cold, but it was manageable. Extreme heat though? Eff that noise.



My SO may get deployed to Kuwait sometime in the future. Just looking at their weather right now makes me wanna puke. High of 115 and a low of 90. Who can enjoy that? How is that better than -45?


No wonder there's so many religious extremists in the Middle East. You'd be crazy too with that heat that fries your brain!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn Center, MN
6,604 posts, read 4,569,847 times
Reputation: 8608
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMoneyhands View Post
Yeah, because Canada never gets decent weather or anything.

These are the same people that would be shivering at 60 and sunny.



Wusses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn Center, MN
6,604 posts, read 4,569,847 times
Reputation: 8608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Whatever.....Considering the fact that some Coloradoans say they are midwesterners, as do some folks in the Southwestern Deserts....



Never met anyone that says that, bro. And I wouldn't want a desert climate, either. I love our lush springs and summers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
26,751 posts, read 10,997,100 times
Reputation: 8952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The Persian Gulf.


I can't believe how many people think a little snow and rain is soooo awful but scorching heat (plus with humidity too) is just peachy? Nasty.
I'd rather have the Persian gulf than anywhere that gets snow, and I'm being serious
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
26,751 posts, read 10,997,100 times
Reputation: 8952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
These are the same people that would be shivering at 60 and sunny.



Wusses.
I wear a light jacket when it's below 59 during the day or below 65 at night, otherwise I'm uncomfortable
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2019, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
18,987 posts, read 16,784,798 times
Reputation: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
This is a pretty hilarious rant because even though it is absurd, irrational hyperbole it does feel familiar.People living in cool temperate climates get super emotional about summer and the risk of a 'ruined' summer. I know because I was one of them growing up. If May and early June are cooler than average, people get legit anxious and you'll hear proclamations of how summer will be skipped this year etc. The length of winter and the relative shortness of the summer weather time window seems to turn many people into nervous wrecks.
I disagree - I live in a cool temperate climate and wouldn't regard my winter as long, or summer as short.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top