U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 01:32 AM

5,942 posts, read 2,663,204 times

Advertisements

For inhabited areas, the worst climates on earth can probably be found in the areas immediately adjacent to the Strait of Hormuz, e.g., places like Bandar Abbas, Khasab, Jask, and Sirri Island. The midsummer heat indices there semi-regularly top 130F (55C). Reaching 80F (27C) during summer would be a monthly record low in some of these areas (look at Sirri Island and Khasab in August ). Oh, and there is no summertime rainfall whatsoever despite the insane humidity levels, mind you.

Last edited by Shalop; 03-01-2021 at 01:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 03:35 PM

102 posts, read 47,753 times
Since its regions of the world, I would translate it into regions. So no tropics (anything further south than 23 degrees latitude) and no deserts which means places such as Africa, Middle East, West Coast of South America, Central Asia, Australian Outback, Polar Ice Caps (yes they are deserts) and the Interior West of the United States.

I say this because tropics are always hot, if you want a cold climate its elevation influenced and elevation is hard on a lot of people, and deserts because of the lack of rainfall which makes the climate and overall landscape look and seem quite depressing.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 7,089 times
just find the parts of the world where people don't care to live ...theres a reason for that .

Svalbard /Greenland/Alaska/Sudan would be my pick

Old 05-08-2021, 12:51 AM

102 posts, read 47,753 times
I don't really believe that there is such thing as a bad climate. In my opinion it depends on what you are doing to be honest.

If your building a big city or living in a big city than mild or warm climates are more reasonable such as a maritime, mediterranean, or temperate subtropical climates are preferable. With those climates for the most part, you have mild temperatures which makes the weather pleasant and you don't have a ton of snow which makes things especially getting around much easier.

If you building something like a ski resort or a ski town or anything winter related activities related, basically the colder and snowier the better so in essence climates such as alpine tundras tend to be the best for that.

If your building a pool or beach resort with summer related activities like swimming than a tropical climate like Hawaii is going to be best.

And I could go on and on about it.

The reason why Southern California has good weather while somewhere like the East Coast has the bad weather would be that the climate of Southern California is more practical for living in a big city. With the climate of Southern California you get for the most part mild temperatures which keeps it comfortable, you get lots of sunny days which minimises winter depression (unless if you have summer SAD and yes I know what that is).

With the East Coast the climate is largely impractical for a big city and one of the biggest reasons for that is that it gets lots of snow. Snow in a big city means you have to shovel the snow, scrape ice, it also means cities have to spend money on snow plows and etc. If you driving to work and back home and don't (or just prefer summer) have access to a lot of winter related activities than snow would be an inconvenience. Cold winters along with hot summers rises AC and heating costs and you have to spend on both, in a sunbelt or west coast city you won't have to spend as much.

The exception I see is deserts, I don't see how they are good for building anything on and they are sparsely populated for a pretty good reason. The Sahara desert excluding the Nile Valley is more sparsely populated than the entire state of Alaska.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:55 AM

23,244 posts, read 11,244,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most of the worst climate regions actually have a nice summer, i.e. UK, Russia, Scandinavia, Iceland, Alaska, Hokkaido,...etc. I enjoy traveling there between June to September. Just don't stay there in the other months of the year.

Summer is generally intolerable in most parts of Asia, i.e. India (with exception of Kashmir), China (with exception of Yunnan). Most other parts of Asia, including Japan and Korea, are generally off limit.

The most favorable climate for human habitat is Hawaii, as long as you don't mind it is monotonous.
I enjoy Hawaii's climate, specifically on Honolulu, but it isn't the most favorable for me. There are times of the year where it's just unbearably hot and humid. I'd prefer dry heat, but that's me.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:38 PM

66 posts, read 29,347 times
I've never been to the Gran Chaco region, but the climate does not seem pleasant at all. Very hot, humid, and swampy, while also being too sunny and receiving little precipitation. it kind of intrigues me though, and the natural scenery definitely seems interesting. Vast expanses of shrubland and thick scrappy looking vegetation. I want to visit one day and experience for myself what seems to be an awful climate.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:09 PM

3,466 posts, read 883,968 times
The bloody UK, awful hellhole of a climate.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:43 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,149,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
The bloody UK, awful hellhole of a climate.
I don't think so. Sure it's a bit damp and cloudy but it's never too hot or too cold.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:13 AM

3,498 posts, read 1,469,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrychips666 View Post
I've never been to the Gran Chaco region, but the climate does not seem pleasant at all. Very hot, humid, and swampy, while also being too sunny and receiving little precipitation. it kind of intrigues me though, and the natural scenery definitely seems interesting. Vast expanses of shrubland and thick scrappy looking vegetation. I want to visit one day and experience for myself what seems to be an awful climate.

I'd take it over a lot of other climates.

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

96 posts, read 33,173 times
Excluding places such as Antarctica and various barren islands, I can't imagine places much bleaker than ultra-continental cold deserts, as much as they fascinate me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpan#Climate
I can't comprehend how a person could feel comfortable in a climate where it's normal for it to be both -10 C and 40 C in the same year. Out of all the places people normally live, this has to be among the least habitable. At least there's not extreme levels of snow due to it being so dry. There is a reason why Takla Makan translates to "place of no return".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather