U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM

870 posts, read 904,949 times

Advertisements

North Atlantic maritime climates, but especially the islands of about 57 degree latitude and above. Islands and peninsulas in the southern hemisphere below 50 degrees south are also horrendous, but the worst of these places (Macquarie Island, as an example) are uninhabited.

Tundra climates like those found in Nunavut are intolerable.

Very dry and hot deserts such as the Atacama, most of the middle east and the Sahara where nothing can grow without extensive irrigation.

Polar climates are the worst of all, but nobody lives there permanently anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM

115 posts, read 124,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
North Atlantic maritime climates, but especially the islands of about 57 degree latitude and above. Islands and peninsulas in the southern hemisphere below 50 degrees south are also horrendous, but the worst of these places (Macquarie Island, as an example) are uninhabited.

Tundra climates like those found in Nunavut are intolerable.

Very dry and hot deserts such as the Atacama, most of the middle east and the Sahara where nothing can grow without extensive irrigation.

Polar climates are the worst of all, but nobody lives there permanently anyway.
I can agree about North Atlantic maritime climates big time:

Look at the data for Cartwright, Canada. At least some of the other maritime climates like London, Seattle, Vancouver, BC has 2 to 4 months with mean temps above 16 C, maybe not warm, but not cold in the warmest month either. Yet Cartwright has ZERO:

Cartwright, Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM

12,461 posts, read 11,472,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Canadian prairies and the Midwest USA have the worst IMO. I don't like climates where the temperatures fluctuate every other day.

I'd rather have it where the temperature does not depart too much from the normal daily high.

Wow, you and me are on exactly the same climate wavelength lol. I agree completely with you said above. I think oceanic climates in subtropical latitudes, like Bermuda, are the best of both worlds. Warm, with stable temps.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM

266 posts, read 237,955 times
I would say Antarctica because it is always extremely cold and windy, and the air has almost no moisture in it so your skin would easily dry out from that, and the cold can cause hypothermia. I've never been there and never plan on it either.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM

9,268 posts, read 6,301,679 times
- Any place above 55N latitude
- Any continental city at any latitiude (Above 40N winters too cold, below 40N summers too hot)
- Islands in the sea above 40N (except Med islands such as Corsica)

Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,571,459 times
all areas within 30 degrees of either pole

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM

10,587 posts, read 13,529,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
That's like 50% of the world or something. Come on, now that's harsh.
Not really... most of the populated areas of the world can grow palm trees. Even places like the west coast of Canada and western Europe can grow them but to me these climates are marginal in terms of what I like

Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 9,475,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Not really... most of the populated areas of the world can grow palm trees. Even places like the west coast of Canada and western Europe can grow them but to me these climates are marginal in terms of what I like
Yeah true, I actually realized that a few months after I made that old post.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 AM

604 posts, read 487,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
I can agree about North Atlantic maritime climates big time:

Look at the data for Cartwright, Canada. At least some of the other maritime climates like London, Seattle, Vancouver, BC has 2 to 4 months with mean temps above 16 C, maybe not warm, but not cold in the warmest month either. Yet Cartwright has ZERO:

Cartwright, Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The worst thing about that climate is that springs take for ever to warm up. July and August are only 3C or so colder than the same latitude in Britain, and I wouldn't mind the snowy winters. But April averaging below freezing is just ridiculous at the same latitude as northern England. Even May is no warmer than an average February over here- you would still have snow cover with it light at 9pm. That's Arctic.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM

4,666 posts, read 2,996,317 times
Any subpolar oceanic climate with pathetic just above freezing cold rain (no snow) most of the time and little sun.
Extreme humidity and heat combo + quite a bit gloomy. Like Hongkong summers.
Extreme 50C+ heat like Death Valley
Extreme -50C- cold like Vostok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather