Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Desert Climate Battle: Jaipur, RJ Vs. Phoenix, AZ
Jaipur, RJ 10 71.43%
Phoenix, AZ 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Which city has a better climate in your opinion:

Jaipur, RJ:

Jaipur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phoenix, AZ:

Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would go with Jaipur. Shorter summer than Phoenix, AZ with more rainfall. Rain in India is always a source of excitement .

I like Jaipur as a city as well, lot of rich culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
Jaipur for the monsoon season that brings some excitement.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,103 times
26" of annual precipitation is about what much of Eastern Britain gets (and more than what London gets), so I don't see how that qualifies as 'desert'. I prefer Jaipur for the monsoon season.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
26" of annual precipitation is about what much of Eastern Britain gets (and more than what London gets), so I don't see how that qualifies as 'desert'. I prefer Jaipur for the monsoon season.
Surely you can't forget about the evaporation rate, which is much higher in places with hot temps. Rome gets more rain than London, but its landform has a more 'dry' outlook. Why? Because of the hotter sun.

Alice Springs (a desert capital in central Australia) gets more rain than the Mediterranean San Diego. But yet, Alice Springs is not even semi-arid, but it's categorized under a desert climate.

If a scorching city averages at around 300m-600m of rain it will be very semi-arid, at times even arid-influenced. A cooler damp city at 600m is very temperate.

The evapotranspiration rate plays a BIG FACTOR in this.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Jaipur for the monsoons and a more varied climate. BTW- I went out for Indian food for lunch today, Tandoori Chicken to be exact but the heating was poor inside the restaurant and I was cold. If India is a tropical country, why didn't they heat the Indian restaurant properly?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Jaipur for the monsoons and a more varied climate. BTW- I went out for Indian food for lunch today, Tandoori Chicken to be exact but the heating was poor inside the restaurant and I was cold. If India is a tropical country, why didn't they heat the Indian restaurant properly?
Because some Indian run businesses are kind of cheap and try to cut and save costs. It's typical penny pinching behavior yaar, Nothing new (Talking Mumbai English here ). You just saw the darker side of Indian business culture.

BTW, I don't eat chicken and am pure vegan, but Jaipur is a great place to try out various types of vegetarian and non vegetarian Rajastani delicacies. If you ever plan a trip to Northern India in the winter, please visit Jaipur without fail.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Surely you can't forget about the evaporation rate, which is much higher in places with hot temps. Rome gets more rain than London, but its landform has a more 'dry' outlook. Why? Because of the hotter sun.

Alice Springs (a desert capital in central Australia) gets more rain than the Mediterranean San Diego. But yet, Alice Springs is not even semi-arid, but it's categorized under a desert climate.

If a scorching city averages at around 300m-600m of rain it will be very semi-arid, at times even arid-influenced. A cooler damp city at 600m is very temperate.

The evapotranspiration rate plays a BIG FACTOR in this.
I'm sure that the ground looks quite dry there in April, but no mistaking it for the Sahara in mid August, I'm sure. It's still not a desert if it receives a moderate amount of rainfall. The definition of 'desert' with which I am familiar depends on the volume of rainfall (10 inches is the threshold, as I understand it).

Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
I'm sure that the ground looks quite dry there in April, but no mistaking it for the Sahara in mid August, I'm sure. It's still not a desert if it receives a moderate amount of rainfall. The definition of 'desert' with which I am familiar depends on the volume of rainfall (10 inches is the threshold, as I understand it).
No, you're right. All I'm saying is that places with hotter temps that have around 25 inches of annual rain may appear drier than cooler areas with the same amount of rain (London), because the hot sun quickly evaporates the rain.

That's why Alice Springs (hot) is a desert and San Diego (mild) is transitioning between semi-arid and Mediterranean, even though both get the same amount of yearly rainfall.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
No, you're right. All I'm saying is that places with hotter temps that have around 25 inches of annual rain may appear drier than cooler areas with the same amount of rain (London), because the hot sun quickly evaporates the rain.

That's why Alice Springs (hot) is a desert and San Diego (mild) is transitioning between semi-arid and Mediterranean, even though both get the same amount of yearly rainfall.
Well I never would have said that they didn't look drier. In addition, the land around Jaipur probably looks like a desert for much of the year. But my point was that it isn't a desert, even if it may look arid for much of the year.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Well I never would have said that they didn't look drier. In addition, the land around Jaipur probably looks like a desert for much of the year. But my point was that it isn't a desert, even if it may look arid for much of the year.
Here are images of Jaipur Monsoon :

Before Rain

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...s_1510099f.jpg

During Rain:

http://jaipur.co/wp-content/blogs.di...ons/rain09.jpg

BTW, Jaipur is a semi arid climate. Jaisalmer, RJ 370 miles west is a true desert climate:

Jaisalmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather