Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 04:17 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I've never understood the mentality of people who do this. Why would you think it's safer to merge when you have a larger difference of speed from the cars you're merging with? Stupid if you ask me.
Well for a short merge, if you can't manage to find room to merge, you slow down or stop.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:18 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
The expressways you showed me nei makes me thankful I don't have to drive in NYC lol. Though Miami isn't much better.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:19 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well for a short merge, if you can't manage to find room to merge, you slow down or stop.
Most highways here have long entrance ramps and merging lanes, so down here it's stupid to do that.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:28 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The expressways you showed me nei makes me thankful I don't have to drive in NYC lol. Though Miami isn't much better.
Do they honk a lot down there? I recommend not driving in NYC and taking photos.

Spoiler

Went a bit overboard after getting a smartphone, I don't do that anymore, anywhere.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:34 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Do they honk a lot down there? I recommend not driving in NYC and taking photos.

Spoiler

Went a bit overboard after getting a smartphone, I don't do that anymore, anywhere.
You just wanted an excuse to show some more photos, didn't you?

Old 05-31-2015, 04:35 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Of course, it doesn't conform. The slowing merging speed doesn't matter that much since traffic is often slow, at least when heavy. Long Island and Connecticut (one highway in particular near Cambium) have some very short merges even though not that congested.

Why should all those buildings get torn down? They tore down enough to build that thing. It would be much better if they put it in a trench, far less noise.
A trench would be nice, but that'd be way more costly than tearing down some substandard buildings. I just hope the rent's real cheap along there, that's pretty insane if you ask me.

I do have to wonder, maybe it's just better to tear that thing down and go back to regular streets - and improve the rail service into NYC. The demand on that road is probably 10x than what the capacity is - it looks pretty hopeless as it is now.

Like I always say, it's better to do it right (in this case, 16 lanes with C/D lanes and plenty of ROW beyond that) or not bother doing it at all.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Spoiler

Aww, how cute, a little mini Arc de Triomphe. I'd love to see the two of those put together...lol.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:46 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Short merges are dangerous. There's a lot of them on I-80 in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985
If you want to have a heart attack, driving in NYC is a good way to get one.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
A trench would be nice, but that'd be way more costly than tearing down some substandard buildings. I just hope the rent's real cheap along there, that's pretty insane if you ask me.
Some of them are rather nice, historic building now facing a

Quote:
I do have to wonder, maybe it's just better to tear that thing down and go back to regular streets - and improve the rail service into NYC. The demand on that road is probably 10x than what the capacity is - it looks pretty hopeless as it is now.
It's entertaining; city views are great and the chaotic traffic + unpredictable exits (some come from the left some from right...) keeps you awake. And still usually a lot faster than surface streets. Really needs to replaced with a better surface roads in a trench. State has no money, so not happening:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/ny...d-forever.html

In Brooklyn Heights, residents in homes overlooking the highway can be awakened by trucks during the only hours they are not slowed by traffic, between 2 and 5 a.m. If a truck going 50 miles an hour hits a single pothole, or one raised seam in the road, sleep might be finished.

A friend of mine used to live half a block away, noisy but it was white noise. I wouldn't like to live there.

An expressway on the west side of Manhattan did get turned to a surface street — after an elevated section collapsed in the mid 70s.

Quote:
Like I always say, it's better to do it right (in this case, 16 lanes with C/D lanes and plenty of ROW beyond that) or not bother doing it at all.
Paris inner city expressways don't have a shoulder either, situation seems similar though a bit less cramped; they seem to go for the not do it at all route more.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8232...ww!2e0!6m1!1e1

entrance ramp looks better, though I gave one of the worst NYC examples:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8348...rg!2e0!6m1!1e1

another squeezed Parisian expressway

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.9045...jg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Some of them are rather nice, historic building now facing a

It's entertaining; city views are great and the chaotic traffic + unpredictable exits (some come from the left some from right...) keeps you awake. And still usually a lot faster than surface streets. Really needs to replaced with a better surface roads in a trench. State has no money, so not happening:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/ny...d-forever.html

In Brooklyn Heights, residents in homes overlooking the highway can be awakened by trucks during the only hours they are not slowed by traffic, between 2 and 5 a.m. If a truck going 50 miles an hour hits a single pothole, or one raised seam in the road, sleep might be finished.

A friend of mine used to live half a block away, noisy but it was white noise. I wouldn't like to live there.

An expressway on the west side of Manhattan did get turned to a surface street — after an elevated section collapsed in the mid 70s.

Paris inner city expressways don't have a shoulder either, situation seems similar though a bit less cramped; they seem to go for the not do it at all route more.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8232...ww!2e0!6m1!1e1

entrance ramp looks better, though I gave one of the worst NYC examples:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8348...rg!2e0!6m1!1e1

another squeezed Parisian expressway

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.9045...jg!2e0!6m1!1e1
I'd have no problem staying awake on a road like that.

What I do wonder, if they had the money to build these roads back then, with a far smaller population base, why don't they have the money to rebuild them to modern standards now?

Yes, the Paris roads look cramped too, but they're much less dependent on cars in general, and you gotta admit, it does look a whole lot prettier then the BQE...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather