Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Those tower blocks are pretty ugly and soulless, though.

Less densely-populated living arrangements and more wide, open spaces are the closet thing we have to a national identity. If we tried to imitate how the urban part of Europe does transportation, the end result would be something inferior.
They are, but have you seen China's? They look like large, multistory houses, the newer ones.

So in America, it's our destiny to pave over every single natural space in the country. You know how you crave to leave Jersey and go live in a mountain village? Imagine if more and more people moved to Montana, and just built out and built out, cause 'Murica. There goes your idyllic village life when new suburbanites move in. I think the term is called Californication out West.

Quote:
I don't think we're built for modern city living. It's so unnatural. We need to get back to nature, back to simpler living.
Same points as above. If all 300+ million people in the US spread themselves out, there will be no nature left, no way for simpler living. It's the majority of people willing to live in and around cities that give people like you breathing space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
In this city, WALKING is faster than a bus.

//www.city-data.com/forum/38229617-post8161.html
That has ZERO to do with the buses themselves, and everything to do with poor planning and a lack of will to make changes. You are extrapolating your experience and painting a broad brush for ALL transit everywhere

Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They are, but have you seen China's? They look like large, multistory houses, the newer ones.

So in America, it's our destiny to pave over every single natural space in the country. You know how you crave to leave Jersey and go live in a mountain village? Imagine if more and more people moved to Montana, and just built out and built out, cause 'Murica. There goes your idyllic village life when new suburbanites move in. I think the term is called Californication out West.
I don't know why you think I view this as a good thing. And NO--I am all for the preservation of nature. I consider myself an environmentalist.

I also support a moratorium on immigration as well as the introduction of various repatriation programs. If that were implemented, it would solve some of the population growth problems in this country.

Not everyone who chooses to live in a more natural setting would wish that everyone follow suit. No, not at all. What a twisted idea. A better outlook accounts for the fact that unlimited population growth is undesirable. It's all about finding the right balance, not some kind of categorical view wherein one is obliged to accept unlimited population growth in their area just because they've chosen to live there.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Same points as above. If all 300+ million people in the US spread themselves out, there will be no nature left, no way for simpler living. It's the majority of people willing to live in and around cities that give people like you breathing space.
Same points as above, as well. I'd also add that there's no way population density could even be truly even. Some regions will be more densely-populated and others less so. There would still be cities and whatnot, of course.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 AM

You really need to just ditch the Kantian nonsense.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
That has ZERO to do with the buses themselves, and everything to do with poor planning and a lack of will to make changes. You are extrapolating your experience and painting a broad brush for ALL transit everywhere
I'm not willing to rely on someone else for transportation.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:02 AM

No other song better conveys the virtues of simple living.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Almost done the first. Feeling pretty good. It has so much alcohol that it goes too fast. Hopefully three or four won't be too many.

Quote:
Done with work for the day and the long weekend is ahead of me. Working on my first Heresy Imperial Stout (8% ABV)--it's very tasty! Great feeling. And it's nice and cloudy today. Good weather in general, and good for my particular drink of choice this afternoon.
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...d-iii-521.html

Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
You really need to just ditch the Kantian nonsense.
You need to ditch the pipe dreams of halting all immigration and repatriating the ones here already. It is not politically feasible in any party, and it's never going to happen. We can play around with hypotheticals all day, but I prefer to play with more realistic scenarios that are likely going to happen.
Also if you are so much in favor of the preservation of nature, then you should be encouraging denser development so less new development encroaches on the countryside. You can't be an environmentalist and advocate for simple living (can't happen on a macro scale, micro scale totally possible) in one breath while being ok with endless sprawl on the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I'm not willing to rely on someone else for transportation.
Good for you, but you're not going to stop those of us that desire having options other than driving a car everywhere. Unlike you, I don't live on a university campus and have everything close to me. I live in a suburban neighborhood on the edge of the suburban-rural divide where everything is far from me.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Also if you are so much in favor of the preservation of nature, then you should be encouraging denser development so less new development encroaches on the countryside. You can't be an environmentalist and advocate for simple living (can't happen on a macro scale, micro scale totally possible) in one breath while being ok with endless sprawl on the other.
I think a return to nature would have to be done on a much larger timescale. I certainly don't think it's feasible to accomplish this overnight. Stemming the tide of immigration to the West is my primary concern and is obviously much more time-sensitive.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Good for you, but you're not going to stop those of us that desire having options other than driving a car everywhere. Unlike you, I don't live on a university campus and have everything close to me. I live in a suburban neighborhood on the edge of the suburban-rural divide where everything is far from me.
I don't live anywhere near the university campus. It is an area with neighborhoods and farms. The only bus I've ever seen near my house is a school bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather