Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Nuclear Winter View Post
I could write an encyclopedia of idiocy with regards to drivers here. My favourites are:

-Merging on to the freeway at 60km/h

-Taking off at a green light so slowly that by the time the fool reaches the other side of the intersection the light is already red again

-stuck behind a slow derpoid who just manages to get across on the yellow while you get stuck at the red

-People doing a U-turn at a right-turn green arrow (left hand traffic) but having to give way to left turning traffic on the side street while those wanting to turn right into the side street are stuck behind this plonker while the arrow is green.

-People not using the slip-lane properly with half the car still in the main traffic lane as he/she swings wide to "make" the turn. You are not driving a bus you mongoloid.
+waiting to turn right at a yield/give way sign because a derpoid is coming to your left with no signaling lights so you assume they're going straight, but they end up turning right into your street (to your left), wasting your time

+people who decide to merge at the very last second and slowly, forcing you to slam your brakes (when they had 10 extra seconds to do it beforehand)

+people who take FOREVER to make a right turn

Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I hear ya on the traffic complaints - it sounds like you have it worse than we do here, although it's bad here too, especially in summer.

I dunno what it is about summer, but it does seem like there's a whole lot more traffic about, both in and out of town, and the higher the temperature, the slower people drive. Drives me nuts. I'm irritated enough it being hot, I don't need idjits that clog up the roads and make it difficult to zip around town like I can in winter.

That's one thing that I found extremely appealing about the UP when I visited last July - the traffic, despite it being the very peak of tourist season was, well, there was no traffic to speak of. There are but a handful of stoplights (all of them with short wait times), and once you get out of town (which only takes a couple of minutes), the roads are open and free, with very few people to get in the way. I actually enjoyed driving up there - which is pretty remarkable considering it's such a dreadful chore around here. The drivers are pretty awesome up there too - they're quick to take off on the greens, they move about in a snappy manner, and they don't all the stupid things that drive me nuts here at home. Not many "derptoids" up there for sure.

Dammit, I can't wait to move.
Oh dear , and here I thought Atlanta drivers would be better than NJ.

Worst part is the heat creating a very sticky environment between your back, clothes, and seat . I need cooler seats, is there any modification you suggest before bringing my car down there.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Oh dear , and here I thought Atlanta drivers would be better than NJ.

Worst part is the heat creating a very sticky environment between your back, clothes, and seat . I need cooler seats, is there any modification you suggest before bringing my car down there.
I think drivers are about the same in all heavily populated areas - I watched that video, and people do the same sort of thing here - especially that "drifting" thing people do - not fun on a 10-lane interstate!

Yeah, I hate that sticky feeling too - which is why I try to park in the shade whenever I can (like winning the jackpot in summer though), and I leave the windows cracked a bit (just don't leave valuables in the car.) If the car is very hot after sitting in the broiling sun, open at least 2 doors (on each side) and let it air out for about 2 minutes before getting in - this helps a lot. I have no idea about "cool seats" - it'd be nice if they had cooling pads for car seats, but the problem with that is that it wouldn't be operating while the car is parked, and it'd take a while for it to cool down once it's turned on.

When it comes to summer and driving down here, well, there's always Marta.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
I am always jealous of living on mainland Europe.. I have always found that French drivers in general are far better than we are.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
I think drivers are about the same in all heavily populated areas - I watched that video, and people do the same sort of thing here - especially that "drifting" thing people do - not fun on a 10-lane interstate!

Yeah, I hate that sticky feeling too - which is why I try to park in the shade whenever I can (like winning the jackpot in summer though), and I leave the windows cracked a bit (just don't leave valuables in the car.) If the car is very hot after sitting in the broiling sun, open at least 2 doors (on each side) and let it air out for about 2 minutes before getting in - this helps a lot. I have no idea about "cool seats" - it'd be nice if they had cooling pads for car seats, but the problem with that is that it wouldn't be operating while the car is parked, and it'd take a while for it to cool down once it's turned on.

When it comes to summer and driving down here, well, there's always Marta.
Are there shades you suggest I buy. Thing I am worried about keeping the windows open in a city is auto theft. Crime isnt too bad along areas bordering GA tech. But does crime spread over from worse off areas ?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I am always jealous of living on mainland Europe.. I have always found that French drivers in general are far better than we are.
You're joking right? French and Italian drivers are the worst I've come across.
I've never suffered any damage to any car I've owned in the UK. Yet I drive through France and I lose a wing mirror, and suffer damage to the front wing.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
You know what sucks even more, driving in New Jersey :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILpvNbX7Yqc
I am so glad I live in PA lol We have very sensible drivers here, although some of them act like Sunday Drivers during the week where I live. Philly isn't as bad as NJ for some reason, but it is still the worst part of PA to drive in. I can handle it just fine.

Quote:
I hear ya on the traffic complaints - it sounds like you have it worse than we do here, although it's bad here too, especially in summer.

I dunno what it is about summer, but it does seem like there's a whole lot more traffic about, both in and out of town, and the higher the temperature, the slower people drive. Drives me nuts. I'm irritated enough it being hot, I don't need idjits that clog up the roads and make it difficult to zip around town like I can in winter.

That's one thing that I found extremely appealing about the UP when I visited last July - the traffic, despite it being the very peak of tourist season was, well, there was no traffic to speak of. There are but a handful of stoplights (all of them with short wait times), and once you get out of town (which only takes a couple of minutes), the roads are open and free, with very few people to get in the way. I actually enjoyed driving up there - which is pretty remarkable considering it's such a dreadful chore around here. The drivers are pretty awesome up there too - they're quick to take off on the greens, they move about in a snappy manner, and they don't all the stupid things that drive me nuts here at home. Not many "derptoids" up there for sure.

Dammit, I can't wait to move.
PA's just as good as MI, and we have more jobs

Quote:
Are there shades you suggest I buy. Thing I am worried about keeping the windows open in a city is auto theft. Crime isnt too bad along areas bordering GA tech. But does crime spread over from worse off areas ?
Just go to Pepboys and get those reflective windshield shades. You can also get those mesh screens you can stick on your windows and pull it down whenever the sun gets too strong. That's what my aunt has on her car in Puerto Rico. Not much you can do except get your windows tinted

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
You should see the drivers in Malta

No one indicates, people beep their horns constantly, dangerously over take, no one wears seatbelts, they don't even strap their kids in!, Use their phones while driving, drink & drive, don't stop at pedestrian crossings, stop in the middle of the road to have a chat with someone, etc...

Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

No one indicates, people beep their horns constantly, dangerously over take, no one wears seatbelts, they don't even strap their kids in!, Use their phones while driving, drink & drive, don't stop at pedestrian crossings, stop in the middle of the road to have a chat with someone, etc...
Lol.. sounds pretty much like around here sometimes. The one thing I find funny in Europe is that zebra crossings are not really what they are here.. it is basically a free for all and I have been almost run over several times trying to cross the road in Europe!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

Ahhh, sounds just like home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather