Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Quite. No one has, IMHO, experienced real jetlag unless flying between Australia and America and the UK/Europe.
When I flew to America years ago, I found it weird arriving there before having left Sydney . Not to mention obtaining an extra day .
Left 2.45pm on a Wednesday afternoon and arrived at 10.15am Wednesday morning after flying over the Pacific for 14 hours.
Left America at 10.20pm on a Sunday night and arrived in Sydney at 7am on a Tuesday. I don't know where Monday went, it just disappeared so I lost the extra day

Flew from London (Heathrow) to Sydney via Shanghai which took 28 hours. That was a really long, long trip!.
Arrived in Sydney at 9am, got home two hours later and I was literally falling asleep and really tired. Forced myself to stay awake until 7pm (to get my body in sync with Australian time) that evening and finally went to bed and slept well, took me about three days to get over it completely though and I do remember being unusually quite "high"
Different story for my wife The jetlag really affected her badly. I came home from work one evening and she had fallen asleep, at the table, with the dinner cooking "away" on the stove and the kids running riot
The house looked like a bomb had gone off and it took her two weeks to feel "normal".

When I fly to New Zealand, because there is a two hour difference (ahead) so I feel like the day has progressed quite fast and the reverse returning home.
You live in Australia.

The longest we have is Los Angeles or Dubai which would be 9 hour flights.
Your flights are so long that you get over the jetlag.

My flight left at 11 and arrived at 4 so I got no sleep. I had to pretend that it was 9 when it really wasn't.. If it was a day flight i'd have had no problem.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:43 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I hope we get the coldest winter in 10,000 years.
NFL divisional round playoffs weather: "12 F with windchills of -5 F".

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 08-02-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Stop teasing

Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 PM

I had -0f so his coldest winters aren't that much colder..

Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
-0F? There is no need for the negative symbol.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:02 PM

I have a plane picture and keep typing in its registration and it keeps saying it doesn't exsist.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
You live in Australia.

The longest we have is Los Angeles or Dubai which would be 9 hour flights.
Your flights are so long that you get over the jetlag.

My flight left at 11 and arrived at 4 so I got no sleep. I had to pretend that it was 9 when it really wasn't.. If it was a day flight i'd have had no problem.
It is not as simple as that. You need to fly here to experience "real" jet lag to understand what I am talking about.
Most flights (direct) to America depart mid afternoon and it's impossible to fly direct to London - due to the need to refuel - so all London bound flights always have a stopover in several Asia centres (Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur)
Nine hours is nothing compared to the Sydney - Los Angeles/San Francisco route which takes between 14-15 hours and it takes 13 hours from London to Shanghai and ten hours from Shanghai to Sydney.
We need 7-8 hours of sleep to function properly. On the plane, we are stuck in our seats for nearly double that time and end up sleeping more than required. Once upon getting home, the sleeping patterns are disrupted because of the excessive sleep and also when it's day here, it's night in the northern hemisphere so our bodies has to adjust to the time zones which is no easy feat.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
It is not as simple as that. You need to fly here to experience "real" jet lag to understand what I am talking about.
Most flights (direct) to America depart mid afternoon and it's impossible to fly direct to London - due to the need to refuel - so all London bound flights always have a stopover in several Asia centres (Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur)
Nine hours is nothing compared to the Sydney - Los Angeles/San Francisco route which takes between 14-15 hours and it takes 13 hours from London to Shanghai and ten hours from Shanghai to Sydney.
We need 7-8 hours of sleep to function properly. On the plane, we are stuck in our seats for nearly double that time and end up sleeping more than required. Once upon getting home, the sleeping patterns are disrupted because of the excessive sleep and also when it's day here, it's night in the northern hemisphere so our bodies has to adjust to the time zones which is no easy feat.
How do you figure that? Japan is one hour behind you so I am sure when it is day there, it's also day in Japan.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I did not have enough hours in the day

Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
How do you figure that? Japan is one hour behind you so I am sure when it is day there, it's also day in Japan.
My bad. Just that I regard Asia - should say southern Asia really - as being part of the southern hemisphere and I am referring to America and the UK/Europe because that was where I were for six weeks at a time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather