Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
God damn it, I just can't get an aerospace job though my experience exactly matches required and desired qualifications. Corporate HR managers must be playing dirty tricks here .
If this was 1970, you'd already have a job right now, making big bucks with a long, productive career ahead of you.

I'd give anything to roll back the clock to his wonderful era in US history...sigh.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
New Hampshire is really different and nowhere near as isolated as she lives. I was in the area she lived in briefly for a vacation last summer. Really different than what I'm used to and much, much less populated. Most of New Hampshire is a 2 hour drive max from Boston, there are no big cities anywhere close to where she lives.

Note New Hampshire is the size of a few Idaho counties.
Northern Ireland is more populated than there.

People in England always laugh at us but my experience in North America is that we have an above average population at almost 2 million. I was in alot of places in America that basically were deserted...

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
New Hampshire is really different and nowhere near as isolated as she lives. I was in the area she lived in briefly for a vacation last summer. Really different than what I'm used to and much, much less populated. Most of New Hampshire is a 2 hour drive max from Boston, there are no big cities anywhere close to where she lives.

Note New Hampshire is the size of a few Idaho counties.
True, but did you see all those dark green areas on your NH map,
extremely low population density.

NH is like 2 states....southern NH densely populated, many cities acting like
Boston suburbs.

Northern NH ....very sparsely populated, rugged mountainous terrain.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM

584 posts, read 576,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yeah, I just cannot see why they think you should move cross country on their whim. It's not right. Is there no chance you can keep your current job but refuse to transfer?
Unfortunately not. He's closing the western branch because he can make a lot more money by expanding in the east.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyChicken View Post
It's bullcrap. You shouldn't have to uproot your life at such short notice. Time to look for another job, but unfortunately that's easier said than done....

But, it's life. My current store manager is a piece of ****..... I've worked there for 7 years and had half a dozen managers in that time, all of them raved about my work, it's only this nazi ass **** that is giving me crap and has a problem with my hard work.... he has no ****ing clue what goes on behind the scenes and expects heaven and earth to be moved but refuses to give enough hours to actually accomplish said task and he is threatening to "write me up" for not meeting his unfathomable standards. ****ing donkey. If he confronts me face to face, I'm going to give him an earful that is for sure.
That sucks. Employers these days seem quite happy to take advantage of employees. If they find one who works harder than everyone else, they'll put even more pressure on that person and then, as you said, create impossible expectations and when those expectations can't be met, pretend it's because the employee isn't working hard enough. It's nothing but taking advantage of people.

I'm the lowest paid employee in my company. I'm also the only woman. Coincidence? Maybe, except that my responsibilities, in addition to doing the actual field work, include: maintaining my certifications in 5 NDT methods, scheduling jobs and arranging travel, writing and updating all policies and procedures, writing all of the final reports for customers, building and updating the company website, ensuring compliance with all applicable codes, standards and regulations, representing the company at trade shows and conferences...I have to do all of this for both the western and eastern branches. I've been called to testify as an expert witness in federal court 3 times in the last 2 years. I get paid less than a guy who has worked for the company for 3 years, has 1 certification and has absolutely no responsibilities other than performing field work.

Maybe this is one of those "blessings in disguise" that people talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No offence but I have looked at NH and it too is in the middle of nowhere it also has freezing cold winters.

It is rude to be expected to move about like that. But looking at your place i'd much rather live in NH.
Lots of people would rather live in NH That's why it feels so crowded.

Last edited by Susannah18; 06-01-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
True, but did you see all those dark green areas on your NH map,
extremely low population density.

NH is like 2 states....southern NH densely populated, many cities acting like
Boston suburbs.

Northern NH ....very sparsely populated, rugged mountainous terrain.
I've been in northern New Hampshire many times. There's a lot of empty land for Northeastern standards, but it doesn't go on for that long like out west. From some mountain peaks, you can see small towns not far away. It's another level of remote out west.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM

I looked on streetview and its desolate.

We fly down over that to newark and its very pretty

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
There is a world of difference between New Hampshire and Idaho in terms of population density, but New Hampshire is still pretty sparse, compared to what we are used to in the UK. Even the most sparse county in England is more dense than New Hampshire.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

584 posts, read 576,141 times
Quote:

We fly down over that to newark and its very pretty
I guess it's just personal preference and what you're used to. I lived in Vermont for 3 years several years ago and VT is about the same size as NH, slightly bigger, with less than half the population and it still made me claustrophbic. I drove all over New England (all of New England combined is smaller than Idaho) and I never found any place that felt even the slightest bit remote or desolate. There are some rural areas, certainly, but as nei said, "it's another level of remote out west".

Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 AM

Oh my good god how is that claustrophobic!!

I live in a rural area and I find my area to be ok but when I looked on the streetview I nearly died!

Its like a desert. My kind of clostrophobic would New York City.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
From your [British] perspective. From an American perspective, especially to someone in the mountain west, it isn't. You're never that far from a small town in New Hampshire, except maybe in the depths of the White Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather