Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 AM

24 posts, read 18,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Yeah, I hate it.. similar to here. We are becoming a 'nanny state' and I hate it! We had lots of speed cameras put up in the past decade, but thankfully quite a few have been taken down, and there are laws in place thay say they have to be put up at 'dangerous places'
In Australia its been the labor govts both at federal and state level that screwed this country in the last decade or so, with all their new rules, regulations, taxes etc. I hope they all die right in the ass.

Melbourne is by far the speed camera capital of the country, speed cameras on most freeways and at a vast number of intersections. One reason why I want to GTFO of this place, wanting to move up to the Mildura area, much better climate, the Murray River, only 1 single revenue camera for hundreds of miles, and speed limits are 110kmh on 2 lane roads. Still central to Melb, Adelaide and Sydney, but far enough to avoid all the communist crap that entails living in an Aussie capital these days, thanks to successive labor governments eroding our freedom.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
Yous are lucky that you don't have roundabouts..

Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM

24 posts, read 18,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Thank god we don't have speed cameras here. If we did, I'd get a can of spray paint and a ladder and zap those suckers whenever I saw one....lol. They did get a bit crazy about red light cameras a few years back, until our governor pushed through a very sensible law that all intersections with cameras had to have yellow light times of at least 4 seconds, up from the 3 seconds they used to have for these money-raking schemes. Guess what happened? "Violations" dropped by 90% overnight, and the vast majority of the cameras had to be taken down because it cost more to maintain them than the revenue they collected. Talk about winning one for the home team.

As for speed limits, they're raising them on our perimeter highway, from 55 mph to 65 mph - yay! Of course, the de facto speed limit is pretty much 75 around here - Atlanta is a big town, and people have long distances to travel and not much time to do it in - that's a huge plus for living where I do. Georgia has a lot of "anti cop" laws too - they're not supposed to pull people for less then 10 over the speed limit, they can't use unmarked cars for enforcement, and they can't hide behind barriers - they have to be visible for at least 500 feet ahead, so people can have a chance to slow down before being clocked by radar.

I just wish all states shared our views about speed tolerance...lol.
Sounds like the polar opposite of Melbourne.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Hahaha that's so true.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Thank god we don't have speed cameras here. If we did, I'd get a can of spray paint and a ladder and zap those suckers whenever I saw one....lol. They did get a bit crazy about red light cameras a few years back, until our governor pushed through a very sensible law that all intersections with cameras had to have yellow light times of at least 4 seconds, up from the 3 seconds they used to have for these money-raking schemes. Guess what happened? "Violations" dropped by 90% overnight, and the vast majority of the cameras had to be taken down because it cost more to maintain them than the revenue they collected. Talk about winning one for the home team.

As for speed limits, they're raising them on our perimeter highway, from 55 mph to 65 mph - yay! Of course, the de facto speed limit is pretty much 75 around here - Atlanta is a big town, and people have long distances to travel and not much time to do it in - that's a huge plus for living where I do. Georgia has a lot of "anti cop" laws too - they're not supposed to pull people for less then 10 over the speed limit, they can't use unmarked cars for enforcement, and they can't hide behind barriers - they have to be visible for at least 500 feet ahead, so people can have a chance to slow down before being clocked by radar.

I just wish all states shared our views about speed tolerance...lol.
Speed in residential areas I can understand.. but really there are roads around here that have no houses or no threat of children walking on the road near bye where the limit is 40 or even 30.

Our national speed limit is 60, on motorways and dual carriageways it is 70, and in residential areas it is 30 or 20.

Most of the roads that would otherwise be 60, have been reduced to 50 or 40 for some strange reason.. nevertheless thankfully the roads I take to work have no cameras, there is a section of dual carriageway which for some ridiculous reason is 50, I travel along it at 70 as it should be, more out of protest

I like France, where the speed limit is 80 for motorways

Old 09-11-2014, 08:13 AM

I know. I nearly **** myself every time I drive on one.. Drive on, drive, drive, drive, get off and breath a sigh of relief.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Roundabouts are good in general.. they work better with the flow of traffic.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Why is that? I lurve roundabouts, I think they're awesome...lol. They're the "new thang" in the southern states, and yes, we actually do call them "roundabouts" just like they do in the UK...lol.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningLover View Post
In Australia its been the labor govts both at federal and state level that screwed this country in the last decade or so, with all their new rules, regulations, taxes etc. I hope they all die right in the ass.

Melbourne is by far the speed camera capital of the country, speed cameras on most freeways and at a vast number of intersections. One reason why I want to GTFO of this place, wanting to move up to the Mildura area, much better climate, the Murray River, only 1 single revenue camera for hundreds of miles, and speed limits are 110kmh on 2 lane roads. Still central to Melb, Adelaide and Sydney, but far enough to avoid all the communist crap that entails living in an Aussie capital these days, thanks to successive labor governments eroding our freedom.
I see no reason for speed cameras in many places.. they are mostly in the 30 zones, although I think the general rule is that they trigger after a 10%+2 rule

Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Speed in residential areas I can understand.. but really there are roads around here that have no houses or no threat of children walking on the road near bye where the limit is 40 or even 30.

Our national speed limit is 60, on motorways and dual carriageways it is 70, and in residential areas it is 30 or 20.

Most of the roads that would otherwise be 60, have been reduced to 50 or 40 for some strange reason.. nevertheless thankfully the roads I take to work have no cameras, there is a section of dual carriageway which for some ridiculous reason is 50, I travel along it at 70 as it should be, more out of protest

I like France, where the speed limit is 80 for motorways
In Florida there was this road in the countryside near us and it was about a mile long with speed limits of 30mph.

Totally unnecessary. Of course my father was the only person that didn't drive at 70..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather