Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 09:58 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
MARTA has no excuse for non Air conditioned stations. NYC's system is very ancient (back when A/C was unavailable) with stations nestled into street corners. But MARTA is much newer has these giant concrete block spaces which can easily be retro fitted with an A/C due to availability of space.

Even worse is that in NYC, you are less exposed to the heat because of high train frequency (at most, within 5 minutes you are already in A/C). But here, I've had to wait 15-20 minutes for the train to arrive making the experience horrific.

And BTW, peachtree station is the amtrak station above ground and not linked to MARTA at all (which TBH sucks, because disconnected transit networks make zero sense). You must be talking about Peachtree Center.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Am...563cdda8cde34d

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...71cac52308d24a
You're correct, it's Peachtree Center. I just call it Peachtree Station as that's the first thing that comes to mind.

I agree about the horrid weekend headways - come on, 22 minutes is just ridiculous, especially in busy weekend times such as Dragon Con, when the trains are standing room only.

This right here is what Atlanta needs to make this a world-class city:

[vimeo]89638667[/vimeo]
Georgia MultiModal Passenger Terminal on Vimeo

Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
You're correct, it's Peachtree Center. I just call it Peachtree Station as that's the first thing that comes to mind.

I agree about the horrid weekend headways - come on, 22 minutes is just ridiculous, especially in busy weekend times such as Dragon Con, when the trains are standing room only.

This right here is what Atlanta needs to make this a world-class city:

[vimeo]89638667[/vimeo]
[vimeo]89638667[/vimeo]
Georgia MultiModal Passenger Terminal on Vimeo
That should be the at most priority for Atlanta in terms of public transit at the moment. Integrating Amtrak with MARTA rail (and possibly also the streetcar being built down there) would itself be a great incentive for HSR between ATL and the piedmont cities (Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greenville). Also takes some load off the airport.

From there on, one should build commuter rail lines, heading towards Athens, Gainesville, Kennessaw, Peachtree City, and Alpharetta. The one to Gainesville will have Amtrak running alongside regular commuter rail, like in SF, Chicago, and NJ.

Its sure gonna cost some money, but this investment will seriously be useful in making ATL rise higher in the global scale of cities.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-18-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
That should be the at most priority for Atlanta in terms of public transit at the moment. Integrating Amtrak with MARTA rail (and possibly also the streetcar being built down there) would itself be a great incentive for HSR between ATL and the piedmont cities (Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greenville). Also takes some load off the airport.

From there on, one should build commuter rail lines, heading towards Athens, Gainesville, Kennessaw, Peachtree City, and Alpharetta. The one to Gainesville will have Amtrak running alongside regular commuter rail, like in SF, Chicago, and NJ.

Its sure gonna cost some money, but this investment will seriously be useful in making ATL rise higher in the global scale of cities.
I'm glad you agree about all of this - just wish more people felt the same way. I can only hope the next administration will be willing to open the spigots and spend big on infrastructure, as that's what made this country great in the first place, and the only way we're going to thrive in the future is to build things such as the MMPT. It'd make downtown a fun, beautiful place to be, and I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to be able to take European-style HSR to other cities, instead of having to drive or go by air. I just don't see why so many people think it's a "waste of money" when it'd be a great and awesome thing to have, imo.

If there's one redeeming quality about this town, it's that the people here like to dream big. The new Falcons Stadium is going to be absolutely amazing, we've got the Beltline going in, which will be awesome, we've got the dude over in Decatur who's in the process of building the biggest food market on the planet (560,000 square feet ), and we already have a decent crop of skyscrapers. Put the MMPT in what's now a crappy spot of downtown, and we're going places.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm glad you agree about all of this - just wish more people felt the same way. I can only hope the next administration will be willing to open the spigots and spend big on infrastructure, as that's what made this country great in the first place, and the only way we're going to thrive in the future is to build things such as the MMPT. It'd make downtown a fun, beautiful place to be, and I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to be able to take European-style HSR to other cities, instead of having to drive or go by air. I just don't see why so many people think it's a "waste of money" when it'd be a great and awesome thing to have, imo.

If there's one redeeming quality about this town, it's that the people here like to dream big. The new Falcons Stadium is going to be absolutely amazing, we've got the Beltline going in, which will be awesome, we've got the dude over in Decatur who's in the process of building the biggest food market on the planet (560,000 square feet ), and we already have a decent crop of skyscrapers. Put the MMPT in what's now a crappy spot of downtown, and we're going places.
Sometimes, I think of becoming the transportation minister down here, but its hard for some south Asian dude to garner public support for expanding and improving transit. If only the public understood infrastructure Investment =/= short run profit, but long range benefits.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Oh good god, another shooting . I was there last weekend, and the area looked safe.

Person arrested after shooting at Lenox Square

Old 09-18-2014, 05:10 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
As predicted, the underground was boiling.. and it was a pretty stuffy day today.

Just got back from the pub with my mates, a bit drunk

Old 09-18-2014, 05:40 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
My delivery hasn't arrived yet...not ****ing happy!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
25:25 can't get this tune out of my head!

Corsten's Countdown #376 - Official Podcast HD - YouTube

Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Oooh first results are starting to come through.

Clackmannanshire the first out, 54% no, 46% yes.. bit of a surprise there

Around 88%/89% turnout in Scotland.. that is pretty amazing!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:37 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
^^

Why are you unhappy about that? Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather