Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
It kind of is. Finland isn't really culturally connected with Ireland or UK.
No, we are not, but still the cultures are quite similar. Both are quite Northern, polite, organised, calm and have a similar love for beer and bad humour.

Except for the food and you driving on the wrong side I don't see any dramatic differences.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 AM

21 posts, read 14,863 times
I always thought Australia to be more like North America, from the style of housing, the vehicles on the road, infact most of the trucks in Australia are of American design and roads feature markings and signs that look just like those in North America. Level crossing signs and boom gates are the same as in America aswell. Even the freight trains are largely based on US designs, some are actual US models, right down to the horns, Leslie S5-T and Nathan Airchime P5 are the most common horns on Australian locos. ****ing blow your face off if a freight passes the platform you just happen to be waiting on. I live 3km from the railway, and you can hear those things like it's next to you on a calm clear night.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,404,486 times
I am so hungover.. managed to get through a horrendous quantity of alcohol last night

Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 AM

21 posts, read 14,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I am so hungover.. managed to get through a horrendous quantity of alcohol last night
elaborate please

Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,404,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroGuy View Post
elaborate please
Well.. right now I have an empty bottle of wine on my desk and 6 finished cans of beer.. apart from that my memory is a bit blank from last night

Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, we are not, but still the cultures are quite similar. Both are quite Northern, polite, organised, calm and have a similar love for beer and bad humour.

Except for the food and you driving on the wrong side I don't see any dramatic differences.
UK and Finland are culturally more in sync than UK and US, without a doubt. Only real binding trait we have with the US is the English language, but since Finns are so proficient in English, it doesn't even matter anymore.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Well.. right now I have an empty bottle of wine on my desk and 6 finished cans of beer.. apart from that my memory is a bit blank from last night
What % was the beer? I drank some 8% in Canada and it gave a great buzz. I think it was called Black. Not sure if it was a local brew or if it's sold elsewhere. Medical issues are precluding me from consuming alcohol at the moment, but I hope to have some fun on New Year's Eve.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Really?! I don't so, we are more like Norwegians.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroGuy View Post
I always thought Australia to be more like North America, from the style of housing, the vehicles on the road, infact most of the trucks in Australia are of American design and roads feature markings and signs that look just like those in North America. Level crossing signs and boom gates are the same as in America aswell. Even the freight trains are largely based on US designs, some are actual US models, right down to the horns, Leslie S5-T and Nathan Airchime P5 are the most common horns on Australian locos. ****ing blow your face off if a freight passes the platform you just happen to be waiting on. I live 3km from the railway, and you can hear those things like it's next to you on a calm clear night.
So what?! Its only because Australia is a 'big' country but to me it always comes across as a small country inside a big one if you get me. They don't really drive big cars like America..

American cars are more common here now, they have launched a lot of pickup trucks and Chevrolets lately. North East America is very like here.
Oh and btw in UK and America we don't use KM's..

Old 10-12-2014, 07:43 AM

I must try some alcohol. I can't understand whats so great about it, i've tried beer and wine and both are rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.