Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm watching a documentary how the British Empire raped the world with their opium.

Bloody English.
They stole the Kohinoor diamond and never returned it .

Old 01-31-2015, 08:02 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Maybe if Britain abolishes the monarchy they will.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:02 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
*shrugs shoulders* Being nice all the time is overrated...

Old 01-31-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Well... when were you nice? One day in 1922?

I should stop watching these British Empire documentaries, it would soon turn me anglophobic.

---

OTH, I met some French dudes yesterday. Again. I don't know how I always bump into those. One was from Lille, and he was amazed that I knew where that was. How ignorant do people think others are about geography? The other one was from Parfffffffffffff, and I mentioned yeah, I know one guy from the Internet who is from Parfffffff.
Then I mentioned my favourite topic - weather, and apologised for the slushy mess. The Lille guy politely said "wel we hav zis too sometimz"!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:11 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Perhaps India needs to send in their elite military forces to steal it back...lol. That's something I'd love to see happen (like Argentina taking back the Falklands / Isles Malvinas.)

Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Perhaps India needs to send in their elite military forces to steal it back...lol. That's something I'd love to see happen (like Argentina taking back the Falklands / Isles Malvinas.)
Britain didn't take the Falklands from anyone - especially not Argentina - the uninhabited islands were there for the taking.

These kind of comments turns my coat. RULE BRITANNIA!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:32 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Indeed. You don't become a great empire by being nice. Existence is a struggle both on an individual level and on a group level. Sadly, modern thinking promotes submissiveness and deference rather than strength and self-defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
In that case, I'd hope the rest of the Anglosphere comes to the defense of our British brethren in the Falklands. The Falkland Islands are British and nothing else. Argentina has no legitimate claim to those islands.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Indeed. You don't become a great empire by being nice. Existence is a struggle both on an individual level and on a group level. Sadly, modern thinking promotes submissiveness and deference rather than strength and self-defense.
When we are talking about Finland or Poland, then you talk about struggle for existence. Britain's existence has not been threatened since 1066, it was all about "how great can we be". How justifiable considering the ideals of the time is up for debate, but claiming that the greatest empire the modern world ever saw can hardly be called a struggle. Maybe, just maybe there was a threat some periods in the 1500-1700's from France, but did anyone set their foot on English soil? No.

Our calls for help in times of need the last 100 years were never answered by Britain, so no good did the empire make for us either, though they were happy to help Belgium or Norway. Instead, another big country in Europe has always answered our calls, probably always will, and you know what that one is.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
When we are talking about Finland or Poland, then you talk about struggle for existence.
Indeed! And furthermore, the Poles and other Central and Eastern Europeans have fought not only against each other but against the Mongols and the Ottomans. And in the case of Southern Europeans, the Moors. In many ways, Eastern and Southern Europeans have had to fight not only for their own existence but all of Europe's. For that, they deserve our praise and respect. As a consequence, however, they've spent more time fighting defensively.

Quote:
Britain's existence has not been threatened since 1066
Well, that's highly debatable! I certainly think Britain's (and the rest of Europe's) existence is threatened by the historical enemy of Europe that is Islam. Many Europeans are beginning to see it this way as well. I need only point to the recent anti-Islamization uprisings in Europe as evidence for that.

Anyway, I should broaden my statement to include not only the fight for existence and self-defense but of interests. I don't think any other people are more righteous for not holding as large an empire as Britain did. It is just human nature to fight for your own self-interests. Really, all of history will make the case for this very simple fact of life. Rather than shun our basic human nature, I think we'd be better off accepting it but recognizing its limitations. However, there comes a point when that goes too far. The twisted thinking of the day would tell the British they should feel a sense of shame, rather than pride, looking at a map like this:

One can argue retrospectively about the virtues of imperialism or lack thereof. I am personally ambivalent about the legacy of European imperialism, particularly as it relates to geopolitics today. But it's in the past, and instilling a feeling guilt about it is just part of a ploy by the globalists so they can set up their own hegemony by means of international money and globalism.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Well, that's highly debatable! I certainly think Britain's (and the rest of Europe's) existence is threatened by the historical enemy of Europe that is Islam. Many Europeans are beginning to see it this way as well. I need only point to the recent anti-Islamization uprisings in Europe as evidence for that.
You're poking the hornet's nest by mentioning this. I don't feel threatened by Islam. Sadly, Europe will always have a nasty, far-right underbelly that will never disappear, and which led to the rise of Nazism and other crazy ideologies. Thankfully not as prevalent in the UK. You'd never see anti-Islam protests here, at least, not in such large numbers. What a scary thought.

For every such 'protest' though, you can bet that a similar, if not larger one, will operate to counter it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather