Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

^ Why's that?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Fort Christina and Nya Vasa were the Finnish hotspots. (Finland was part of Sweden back then.)

Founding schools. They educated a lot of people. Western French Africa had the most doctors per capita on the whole continent before decolonisation. Black doctors, if you don't mind. The Maghreb doctors were pied-noirs.
So these people were not educated prior? They had no forms of passing on knowledge or education institutions.

I think the French IMPOSED their system, culture, standards onto them while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
They're crazy for the crap they believe in, just like Christians. If you believe what you say, then why don't you move to the Middle East?

They're not crazy everyone can believe in what they want along as they don't impose their beliefs onto others in a violent way.

I wont move to the Middle East due to their intolerant culture not so long ago the superior liberal west was just as bad.

I hate this attitude..

Old 02-01-2015, 04:16 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

They're not crazy everyone can believe in what they want along as they don't impose their beliefs onto others in a violent way.

I wont move to the Middle East due to their intolerant culture not so long ago the superior liberal west was just as bad.

I hate this attitude..
They can believe in what they want, but what they believe in are fairy tales. Their ridiculous beliefs should not be respected. Wouldn't you think it's crazy if someone believed in a flying spaghetti monster?

Much of the Middle East is intolerant because of their religious beliefs. The West is far from perfect and it goes without saying our history has it's blemishes, but we're light years ahead of them now. I realize it wasn't always like that, in fact the opposite, but now Islam is in the dark ages.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
So if G.W. Bush and Putin are morons, the whole Christian religion is to blame? Doesn't sound very logical.

The Middle East is intolerant as it has a long history of hatred and intolerance, not because they practice a certain religion among with 1.5 billion other people.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
They can believe in what they want, but what they believe in are fairy tales. Their ridiculous beliefs should not be respected. Wouldn't you think it's crazy if someone believed in a flying spaghetti monster?

Much of the Middle East is intolerant because of their religious beliefs. The West is far from perfect and it goes without saying our history has it's blemishes, but we're light years ahead of them now. I realize it wasn't always like that, in fact the opposite, but now Islam is in the dark ages.
Ridiculous, certainly, but their prerogative. None of my business what they believe in.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So if G.W. Bush and Putin are morons, the whole Christian religion is to blame? Doesn't sound very logical.

The Middle East is intolerant as it has a long history of hatred and intolerance, not because they practice a certain religion among with 1.5 billion other people.
Much of the hatred and intolerance stems from their religion. A majority of Muslims in some countries support Sharia law, which condones some very repressive and backwards thinking. I'm mostly referring to the harsh punishments that are still imposed for certain crimes, but also to the treatment of women, homosexuals, etc. I realize it isn't applied across the board and in all countries and its application varies, but my general point is that the influence of religion is strong enough to be a contributing factor to the less than stellar history and culture of the Middle East. It certainly wasn't always like that, but unfortunately they've taken a giant step backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ridiculous, certainly, but their prerogative. None of my business what they believe in.
I'm just critical of the tolerance and politically correct attitudes towards religion. They can believe what they want, but it does become our business when it begins to have a significant impact on our society (culture, politics, policy, education, etc.).

Old 02-01-2015, 05:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:

I'm just critical of the tolerance and politically correct attitudes towards religion. They can believe what they want, but it does become our business when it begins to have a significant impact on our society (culture, politics, policy, education, etc.).
Well, that isn't the case here, so I'm not bothered.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:48 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:

The west has its blemishes? What a understatement.

Much of the Middle East is intolerant because of their culture not their Religion. If religion is a reason for the Middle East's intolerance why isn't Turkey, Bangladesh and Morocco just has bad?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:57 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Abrahamic religions in general aren't my cup of tea. I'd love to see Europe (and Western world, generally) return to its pagan roots.

Last edited by snj90; 02-01-2015 at 06:17 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 06:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Much of the hatred and intolerance stems from their religion. A majority of Muslims in some countries support Sharia law, which condones some very repressive and backwards thinking. I'm mostly referring to the harsh punishments that are still imposed for certain crimes, but also to the treatment of women, homosexuals, etc. I realize it isn't applied across the board and in all countries and its application varies, but my general point is that the influence of religion is strong enough to be a contributing factor to the less than stellar history and culture of the Middle East. It certainly wasn't always like that, but unfortunately they've taken a giant step backwards.

That is false. Islam is used as a weapon, the same way Christianity used to be used. Religious fundamentalists use religion as a tool to increase their own ifluence. While there is merit in the statement that Islam has never gotten trough the same reformation Christianity did, you cannot blame the whole global religion for certain bad deeds.

Concerning the Middle East, the whole region is backwards and has always been plagued with authoritarian governments who haven't allowed for critisism either for their religion or their governments. We are also talking about oftenly very poorly educated people, maybe illiterate.

It should tell you something that the Ottoman Empire, the greatest Muslim nation ever, went rigorously secular when it was crumbling down. Islam as a religious concept is not a backwards, or neither is Islam inherently evil or violent.

And as you maybe remember, I'm an atheist, and don't have any special love for either Christianity or Islam. Religions must an should be scrutinised.

For me, labeling a whole global religion as inheretntly backwards sounds as bad as saying the black man is inherently inferior - just take a look at Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather