Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They are pretty different lol. Trust me on that. The closest thing you guys have to our Wegmans is M&S, and that is pretty different, too. We usually have more stuff to pick from than you do, your supermarkets are smaller on the whole, except the Tesco Extras. I liked the British selection better than what we have here.
Back in the 90s, I remember British supermarkets being larger with more of a prepared food section.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some of the colorful look like kinda cool. Seeing lots of them at once is a bit much but I don't hate them. The ones that face some courtyard or other green space look a bit better.
Some of them have potential, while other look only cheap. Nothing wrong with colour either, but the area has no harmony. The buildings in the last 3-4 pictures look better to me.

And I hate those cubicle style asymmetric balconies.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Some of them have potential, while other look only cheap. Nothing wrong with colour either, but the area has no harmony. The buildings in the last 3-4 pictures look better to me.

And I hate those cubicle style asymmetric balconies.
They do look like bland boxes, other than the color to get it some flair. What would you consider nice apartment blocks?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:24 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They do look like bland boxes, other than the color to get it some flair. What would you consider nice apartment blocks?
I kind of fancy these. Nothing spectacular but I like clear lines and harmony:

Or this one on the left:

If you want flair, build a similar one next to it in red or something!

This looks cool: http://lujatalo.files.wordpress.com/...u-lujakoti.jpg

I'm not saying they are all terrible, but that area looks more like "let's build tetris blocks in every single shape and colour that exists".

Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, I'll bet there weren't many Spanish speakers in Florida then, but I guess I'm not being very PC in saying that. My boss is a native of Puerto Rico, and he never utters a word in Spanish. It is rude to speak a foreign language in the company of people that don't understand it. Spanish speakers at my work place haven't seemed to figure that one out yet.
Don't think i'd tolerate that too long before going to report them. Again they are coming to this country so should respect the traditions and laws here.

While UK lets tons in I don't think the whole language thing would go down well.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Don't think i'd tolerate that too long before going to report them. Again they are coming to this country so should respect the traditions and laws here.
There's no law against speaking Spanish. As for tradition, parts of Florida is so new you could say Spanish is as traditional as English.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 AM

Well America is an English speaking country so...

And I don't see very many Spanish speaking signs here.. All the road signs are English.. Shopping signs.. I'm sorry but I just don't agree with people immigrating to a country and not assimilating and respecting their culture. I wouldn't even think about immigrating and doing that!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 AM

First, you're also putting your cultural standards in a foreign country. Though some Americans think like you do plenty don't care.

Yes, but there's no official language. Sure, it's rude to speak another language in the company of non-speakers. But amongst themselves, people are going to speak their native language. Some native-English speaking Americans have grandparents whose native language isn't English, the idea of not having English as your native language isn't that alien. And in just about everywhere in the US, being able to speak English well puts you at an economic advantage, most immigrants try to learn. An exception is Miami, where being able to speak Spanish is just as useful.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 AM

Well the people here clearly disagree

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ps-nation.html

Old 06-27-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well the people here clearly disagree

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ps-nation.html
As I said, some Americans think you do. As for rude to speak in another language, I liked this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post24745918
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather