Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,741 times

Advertisements

No climate is perfect, but just about everyone has an ideal climate where they'd prefer to live. For example, I hate extreme heat and extreme cold with a passion, which draws me to year round mild temperatures. There's really only one place in the US that has what I want and that is the coastal west from about Santa Barbara, CA all the way up to Seattle, WA, and even Seattle pushes it with their winters.

In order to have the climate I want the main thing I have to sacrifice are total Sunshine hours. I've read that sunshine hours here are about 2100 for the year, but I'd ratchet that down to closer to 1850 or 1900. Clouds and fog are a frequent occurrence here all year long, though it does tend to be cloudier in inter because that's when we get 99% of our yearly precipitation.

The maritime climate can also produce strong and cool to cold winds which can get annoying from time to time as well, especially during spring. There were many potentially lovely days this spring that were totally ruined by the wind, but it's something I'm willing to put up with for days like today when its 65F, sunny, breezy, and gorgeous enormous clouds float lazily across the sky. Summer temperatures in the 60s and 70s while the rest of the state bakes is wonderful as well, and the good days far outnumber the bad ones in my opinion, which is why I love it here so much.

That said, what are you guys willing to put up with or sacrifice to live in your ideal climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
For me it's all about the winters. The warmer the better. I'm willing to put up with a cool to cold summer as long as I can get winters with no frost and snow

Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For me it's all about the winters. The warmer the better. I'm willing to put up with a cool to cold summer as long as I can get winters with no frost and snow
I can totally get behind this as well lol

Your climate is actually pretty similar to mine but again your winters are just a bit too cool for my tastes, though if I lived in Canada Vancouver or Victoria would be my top two choices

Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,412,996 times
I just posted my ideal climate in other thread

Southern New England / Upstate New York / Great Lakes Region (especially northern half of Indiana and Illinois) for the proper four seasons though
cold months are slightly dominant
Western Washington for less sunny hours in winter and being fairly cool all year around compared to any other parts in the U.S.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
But what about that one time you picked my fictional climate with snowy Decembers and cold and frosty Januaries over my totally snowless and frostless fictional climate?
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ront-city.html
Even you are willing to sacrifice one month of snow and over 3 months of subfreezing nights for a truly warm summer over a seasonless maritime puke year round climate.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
But what about that one time you picked my fictional climate with snowy Decembers and cold and frosty Januaries over my totally snowless and frostless fictional climate?
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ront-city.html
Even you are willing to sacrifice one month of snow and over 3 months of subfreezing nights for a truly warm summer over a seasonless maritime puke year round climate.
Neither of those climates exist in the real world and so the point is moot. As long as summers are warm enough to grow trees then that's all that matters to me in terms of summer warmth. I could not live in a maritime tundra climate like the Kerguelen islands for example even if the winters are relatively mild compared to continental climates.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
I have a quandary like this because eastern North Carolina has ideal temperatures, but I would sacrifice thunderstorm frequency. The Gulf Coast dominates in that regard.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,279,873 times
One testicle

Old 12-25-2015, 10:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
I'd give up some of the rain in my climate, in exchange for warmer summer nights. Visible breath and heavy dew during summer, just isn't groovy.

I'd be happy to sacrifice some sea breeze as well - plenty of that here, if anyone wants to swap.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-25-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 11:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'd give up some of the rain in my climate, in exchange for warmer summer nights. Visible breath and heavy dew during summer, just isn't groovy.

I'd be happy to sacrifice some sea breeze as well - plenty of that here, if anyone wants to swap.
I don't know. I'd kinda like that. Makes the weather interesting.

Visible breath can happen at times in the summer here. Very rare, but it isn't "unseen" of.

To answer this thread, I'd like to sacrifice our bursts of 37C+ heat in some summer days for warmer winter highs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather