Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,076,387 times

Advertisements

http://abcnews.go.com/US/popup?id=3977874&contentIndex=1&page=1 (broken link)

Yanno, I'm wondering, in this modern day of technology, when in the world is the United States going to do the smart thing and start putting in underground lines??????

Same with Hurricane prone areas? When are they going to demand, people start building homes in those areas, like they do on the islands, with cinder block?

I tell you, while there, I saw a cinder block home loose a roof, but the rest of the home was standing and that was from Hurricane Floyde?

It doesn't make any sense to me?

Ice storms cannot be avoided, but...why in the world, do people keep making the same mistakes?????? Put in underground wires for goodness sakes?????
and if not, then chop all limbs of trees away from all wires like they used to do years ago....

I'm sorry, but people are loosing the ability to think, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,481,563 times
Some cities like Stillwater, OK, do make it a point to try keep the right of way clear of tree branches. And so as a result, during that town's last bad ice storm in 2003, power outages were not widespread. Doing that is a good investment of taxpayer money.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Some cities like Stillwater, OK, do make it a point to try keep the right of way clear of tree branches. And so as a result, during that town's last bad ice storm in 2003, power outages were not widespread. Doing that is a good investment of taxpayer money.

I agree, totally, but also, I cannot understand, why they don't start putting all our lines underground...???? Beats me?

Thanks so much for your post....I remember years ago....the power companies would send trucks thru in the summer and all they would do, is cut trees away from power lines....they don't do that any more...and because of it and not putting lines underground, a lot of people suffer...??????

It's like we've regressed instead of progressed?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,124,702 times
It's ironic but I live in the DFW area and we do get ice but it's been a long time since we've had a major massive ice storm like OK has dealt with this week...anyway, most of the lines are underground here in my area..and the power companies border on obsessive here with chopping branches and limbs off trees that are even remotely close to power lines. It seems to make the news all the time because there's usually upset homeowners complaining. If they can do it here, it stands to reason that they can and should do it in the areas that are more prone to terrible ice storms.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Power companies hacked up my mother's Catalpa tree in the 70's without her permission. They ended up writing her a hefty check for damages. Just because they want to do it doesn't mean they can do so indiscriminately. In the long run it would cost less to bury the lines, but they're too lazy.

At least around here all new developments have to go underground.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
It's ironic but I live in the DFW area and we do get ice but it's been a long time since we've had a major massive ice storm like OK has dealt with this week...anyway, most of the lines are underground here in my area..and the power companies border on obsessive here with chopping branches and limbs off trees that are even remotely close to power lines. It seems to make the news all the time because there's usually upset homeowners complaining. If they can do it here, it stands to reason that they can and should do it in the areas that are more prone to terrible ice storms.
yanno, all it takes is one ice storm like out west and those upset homeowners would surely change their tune...

I was through one in my entire life...we had a litter of puppies and were trying to keep them warm for 3 days....had a free standing wood burning stove and kerosene heaters we had just purchased....

if and when something like that happens, you'll be happy you either have underground wires and/or back up heat...believe me.

My sister was out of electric for a week. and it is not fun....

creme

Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno, all it takes is one ice storm like out west and those upset homeowners would surely change their tune...

I was through one in my entire life...we had a litter of puppies and were trying to keep them warm for 3 days....had a free standing wood burning stove and kerosene heaters we had just purchased....

if and when something like that happens, you'll be happy you either have underground wires and/or back up heat...believe me.

My sister was out of electric for a week. and it is not fun....

creme
You are so right!! It is very hard when you have to go through ice storms or major snow storms and you lose electricity. It makes you wonder how our ancestors ever survived, doesn't it? Of course, we don't have a kerosene stove or a cookstove to keep warm like they did back then. Just makes life pretty hard.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,886,322 times
All of our lines are underground. At least in town. Major power comes in on big towers but there's no trees. And, as they are being replaced due to age, they're going underground.

Last year, we lost power twice. Each time was for less then an hour or so. And both times, it had nothing to do with storms. First one was a couple of kids shooting insulators off the towers. haha Don't remember what the second one was for.

The snow and ice seldom bothers the homes up here. The wind does. And as far as a cinder block home goes, they'll sure stand up to the wind, but you can't insulate one worth a darn. There's a few around here, and their power and light bills are outragious. Being a contractor most of my life, I could build one that was both strong and insulated. But the cost would be nuts.

I don't know about others. But I have natural gas to heat my home. Also a fire place. And I have backup LP and a heater. I can last about 2 weeks if we lost all power. And that's worst case. Nasty snow storm. Matter of fact, a few years back, I had 21 people staying in my house because power was out from a bad snowstorm. I had heat. Just kept feeding the fireplace and we cooked on a propane stove. But we were warm and we were fed and we argued about who got to sleep on the couch. haha

Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Power companies hacked up my mother's Catalpa tree in the 70's without her permission. They ended up writing her a hefty check for damages. Just because they want to do it doesn't mean they can do so indiscriminately. In the long run it would cost less to bury the lines, but they're too lazy.

At least around here all new developments have to go underground.

I think they don't want to spend the money to do something logical...look at all the money they make working overtime when something like this happens...to boot...it would probably be done if more people complained about it...I mean, can you believe, in this day and age, with our technology, they still rely on telephone polls? Sheesh...when will American's wise up? People die from lack of heat...yanno?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
All of our lines are underground. At least in town. Major power comes in on big towers but there's no trees. And, as they are being replaced due to age, they're going underground.

Last year, we lost power twice. Each time was for less then an hour or so. And both times, it had nothing to do with storms. First one was a couple of kids shooting insulators off the towers. haha Don't remember what the second one was for.

The snow and ice seldom bothers the homes up here. The wind does. And as far as a cinder block home goes, they'll sure stand up to the wind, but you can't insulate one worth a darn. There's a few around here, and their power and light bills are outragious. Being a contractor most of my life, I could build one that was both strong and insulated. But the cost would be nuts.

I don't know about others. But I have natural gas to heat my home. Also a fire place. And I have backup LP and a heater. I can last about 2 weeks if we lost all power. And that's worst case. Nasty snow storm. Matter of fact, a few years back, I had 21 people staying in my house because power was out from a bad snowstorm. I had heat. Just kept feeding the fireplace and we cooked on a propane stove. But we were warm and we were fed and we argued about who got to sleep on the couch. haha
that is the smart thing to do, is to replace them slowly, and it provides work...LOL, I worked Construction, in the poconos, and in Allentown, PA...I helped put in 3 sections of I-78...and yes, it's always good to have back up heat..always, cuz that one time you may need it, you'll be glad you did. nothing worse then being cold and that dead sound when a house gets real cold...ewwwww...that is awful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather