Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 PM

29,506 posts, read 19,608,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I find it odd how such vast areas in the US can still be classed as the same metro area. Even Portsmouth & Southampton, which are 25 miles apart, but joined through a continuous urban/sub-urban sprawl are very much separate areas...
^^

Smaller country maybe?

If they are fully urbanized or sub urbanized and that they have a commuter/employment exchange rate, then I don't see why they would be classed separately. Is there a substantial green zone between the London and Portsmouth? I'm 37 miles from the city limits, but how else would we be classified other than "suburban" or at most "exurban".

Actually the criteria to be classed as a "metropolitan area" by the US/OMB is pretty detailed and specific.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...s-Complete.pdf

Chicago and Milwaukee are almost completely urbanized but are not considered one metropolitan area, because commuter/employment exchange rates have not reached the minimum criteria yet. I think it's 25 years away....

The only thing that separates LA and San Diego is the super huge military base Camp Pendelton

As for "urbanized" areas. There is no global standard as to what criteria defines "urban" but here is a list from 2010 and a projection to 2025. For what it's worth.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 09-11-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 09:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
If they are fully urbanized or sub urbanized and that they have a commuter/employment exchange rate, then I don't see why they would be classed separately. Is there a substantial green zone between the London and Portsmouth?
Yes. All of London is surrounded by a large green belt.

Quote:
Chicago and Milwaukee are almost completely urbanized but are not considered one metropolitan area, because commuter/employment exchange rates have not reached the minimum criteria yet. I think it's 25 years away....
That would be silly, though. Since Milwaukee and Chicago have always been separate large cities. It's almost continuously populated though rather low density in spots from here all the way to NYC, almost 160 miles away. At some point, you have to draw the line and saw it's not NYC, by commute or other means.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That would be silly, though. Since Milwaukee and Chicago have always been separate large cities. It's almost continuously populated though rather low density in spots from here all the way to NYC, almost 160 miles away. At some point, you have to draw the line and saw it's not NYC, by commute or other means.
Well that's why the criteria to combine metropolitan areas involves commuter exchange rates.... The two have not reached that criteria.... City limits to city limits Chicago to Milwaukee is about 73 miles. San Bernardino to LA is about 60 miles, as is Trenton to NYC and they are in one metro area.... DC and Baltimore are in the same CSA though they are only about 30 miles apart.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Well that's why the criteria to combine metropolitan areas involves commuter exchange rates.... The two have not reached that criteria.... City limits to city limits Chicago to Milwaukee is about 73 miles. San Bernardino to LA is about 60 miles, as is Trenton to NYC and they are in one metro area.... DC and Baltimore are in the same CSA though they are only about 30 miles apart.
Baltimore and DC are two separate cities with their own suburbs, I think it's rather absurd to treat them as one unit, the CSA means just a small % of Baltimore suburbanites are commuting to DC suburbs. Trenton isn't part of the NYC metro or urban area. The area has to be outgrowth of a city's growth to count as part of a metro area.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Baltimore and DC are two separate cities with their own suburbs, I think it's rather absurd to treat them as one unit, the CSA means just a small % of Baltimore suburbanites are commuting to DC suburbs.
Well CSA is "Combined Metropolitan Statistical Area" which is what the "Bay Area" San Fran/Oakland/San Jose is, as is "Greater LA" LA/OC/IE, Boston-Worcester-Providence, Houston/Galveston, and Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington....

Quote:
Trenton isn't part of the NYC metro or urban area. The area has to be outgrowth of a city's growth to count as part of a metro area.

Trenton is part of New York City's CSA.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MSA's are a smaller criteria (though the difference in population between Chicago's CSA and MSA is small)

Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area 9,912,730
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area 9,537,289

Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,472 times
LA Metro is LA/OC/IE since its all interconnected with freeways that lead to Downtown LA, and its all continous gridlock.

in London's case the green belt nei mentions, seperates other cities from it, and in Chicago and milwalkee, i would consider them seperate since they both have their distinct identity and they arent "connected"

Old 09-11-2014, 10:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Wow. I have difficulties to get my head around it. Drive from Turku to Helsinki and you're technically in the same urban area. And while driving those almost 2 hours all you see is mountains and suburbs.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
I remember the drive thru Orange county between central Los Angeles and San Juan Capistrano (towards San Diego) was long and tedious, sprawl all the way under a thick blanket of stratus clouds (june gloom).

Quote:
What's amazing is Houston looks not that much smaller than Los Angeles yet has barely over a third of the population. Is that all of Paris, including the outer burbs? And wow, the SSP link does make LA look enormous.
Atlanta was the most impressive iirc considering its population. Though it's not easy to draw the line between suburbs, exurbs and rural land compared to, say, Los Angeles. The boundary is a bound to be arbitrary, it's a huge mess of low density development.

Atlanta (yellow) and LA (background map) - more than 3 times less people in the yellow area
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/901...lesatlanta.jpg

Paris (yellow) and Atlanta (background) - more than 2 times more people in the yellow area
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9...lantaparis.jpg

Urban Area Map Showcase - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

And yes it includes the outer suburbs of Paris. Basically all the built-up area within Paris' urban area (2,850 km² / 1,100 sq mi).

Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 AM

I think the most reasonable definitions the "urban" or "urbanized" area as listed above. .

So for Chicago

Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI Combined Statistical Area 9,912,730
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area 9,537,289
Urban Area 9,185,000 (2010)

Still US cities outside the central core, have low density. Chicago pound for pound spawls worse than LA (but much lower density). LA's suburbs are actually dense by US standards because of geographic restrictions (mountains). Chicago has nothing but open flat land.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I remember the drive thru Orange county between central Los Angeles and San Juan Capistrano (towards San Diego) was long and tedious, sprawl all the way under a thick blanket of stratus clouds (june gloom).

Atlanta was the most impressive iirc considering its population. Though it's not easy to draw the line between suburbs, exurbs and rural land compared to, say, Los Angeles. The boundary is a bound to be arbitrary, it's a huge mess of low density development.

Atlanta (yellow) and LA (background map) - more than 3 times less people in the yellow area
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/901...lesatlanta.jpg

Paris (yellow) and Atlanta (background) - more than 2 times more people in the yellow area
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9...lantaparis.jpg

Urban Area Map Showcase - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

And yes it includes the outer suburbs of Paris. Basically all the built-up area within Paris' urban area (2,850 km² / 1,100 sq mi).
Very interesting maps, thanks for posting these.

The low density is what I love most about Atlanta - I live just 15-20 minutes from downtown, and yet I live in a woodsy area in a large-lot subdivision, with housing costs far lower than other big cities in the US. Dense cities = high cost of living, which is why I'm so happy not to be living in place like LA, or London, etc.

We just need to relocate Atlanta about a 1000 miles north, and then it'd be absolute paradise - I'd never want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather