Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

There's a well known 10 mile crow fly one could take from Woodland Hills, CA to Malibu that can result in a 30F plus temperature drop.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
I spent a weekend in Ojai, CA in the late 1970's. The Saturday I was there, the low was 30 degrees F and the high was 87 degrees F.

57 degree difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:59 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
Yakutat, Alaska and Whitehorse, Yukon are quite different in terms of winter temperatures despite being close to each other.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Terney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lesozavodsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(This is crazy)

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
In Duluth, Minnesota, it can be cold by the lake and warm at the top of the hill, away from the lake. This makes for a greater than 40 degree temperature change IN THE SAME CITY.

Proof I wasn't just making this up.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:34 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
A change, but nothing too dramatic IMO. And they're slightly distant from each other, so such temperature change seems natural.

If mountains count, then the temperature difference between Penrith and Katoomba (46km/28mi) in NSW should be noted:

Penrith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrit..._Wales#Climate
Katoomba: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katoom..._Wales#Climate

This thread is interesting. I want to see more examples.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Florida can have some freakish gradients during transition periods. One afternoon back in October which saw an early cold front, it was down to 67F in Tampa and still 91F in Miami. Less difference than some of the other places mentioned but remember their average highs for the month are only a couple degrees apart, so it was pretty amazing. I also remember a 57/82 difference in those same cities more recently this February.
Well yeah, when there's a huge cold front or warm front moving in on the East Coast there's large temperature gradients. But in California, even a perfectly CA, sunny day in the summer will easily see twenty to thirty degree differences within 50 miles.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:55 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
The biggest one that I've personally experienced was during a super miserable drive down from Erie to Eatonville, Georgia about 3 years ago that I'd rather forget, ha ha.

I was driving a moving van and the A/C had stopped working on the darn thing. It had been about 74 F in Erie when I left, about 79 in Pittsburgh and 86 F in Mill Creek, WV. My clothes were soaked and I looked like I had just jumped out of the shower. About 12 miles down the road in Durbin, WV the temperature was 75 F and the elevation much higher. It was raining cool rain so I rolled the window down and just let the cool rain spray me down as I drove.

It's not uncommon here to see quite a temperature difference between locations right next to Lake Erie and the outskirts of the city/nearby suburbs.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:08 PM

460 posts, read 231,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The biggest one that I've personally experienced was during a super miserable drive down from Erie to Eatonville, Georgia about 3 years ago that I'd rather forget, ha ha.

I was driving a moving van and the A/C had stopped working on the darn thing. It had been about 74 F in Erie when I left, about 79 in Pittsburgh and 86 F in Mill Creek, WV. My clothes were soaked and I looked like I had just jumped out of the shower. About 12 miles down the road in Durbin, WV the temperature was 75 F and the elevation much higher. It was raining cool rain so I rolled the window down and just let the cool rain spray me down as I drove.

It's not uncommon here to see quite a temperature difference between locations right next to Lake Erie and the outskirts of the city/nearby suburbs.
No joke, and the humidity in that region out there makes increasing heat so much worse...
I just saw on the news several kids were found in a compartment on the back of a pickup truck riding in 100F heat, no A/C.
What someone said above, in CA one can experience very big changes driving or hiking up a mountain over not so many miles, can make a short drive from 1k-3K elevation with blazing hot weather to 8K elevation with cold and snow. Or, from cool foggy Northern CA coast having 68F into brutally hot Redding with 100F+.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:28 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
I did the reverse of I-8 mentioned by OP in June 2 years ago. Low/mid 60s on the coast (and cloudy). Sunny and 70s just a few miles east. Warmed up to the 80s by El Cajon I think. In the mountains it stayed in the 80s then I descended I watched the temp climb up and up. Made it to the east side of the mountains headed towards El Centro. 107.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather