Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:07 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,576 times

Advertisements

Never, the wildfire haze is more an issue here (I remember March 2014, there was 2 week school break with lot of homeworks and the mid semester exam was delayed almost a month due to extreme wildfire haze/smog)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
Never happens in France. Exams are usually late june and it can be on 35c days.

A/C is unheard of.

I've had classes cancelled because of 10cm of snow though.

In Italy the class goes from september 15th to around early june, and there are very few breaks during the school year (basically, two weeks at christmas and 6 days for easter), contrary to France where summer break is shorter and where there are several two-week breaks during the year.

I don't think they close for heat here either.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:21 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,915 times
Schools don t have AC here but they never closed due to heat. Schools close for summer at 15 June and start at 11 September so we don t experience very hot weather when they are open. It is more possible to close due to snow.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:22 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,396,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
Schools don t have AC here but they never closed due to heat. Schools close for summer at 15 June and start at 11 September so we don t experience very hot weather when they are open. It is more possible to close due to snow.
Absolutely the same here, but some schools here do have AC.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolina View Post
Absolutely the same here, but some schools here do have AC.
I remember that when I was at last class of primary school it was very warm outside on early June and we were playing water balloon fights hahaha at breaks and then the teacher screamed to us because we got into the class with wet clothes.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:58 AM

13,481 posts, read 9,022,590 times
Never happened when I was at school in the UK. Classrooms did get unbearably hot though, but other than opening all the windows & closing the blinds/curtains nothing was done to keep us cool. No fans either, unless a teacher brought in theirs from home (& then it was only faced on them!)...

They did let us take off our ties & roll our shirt sleeves up though (how thoughtful) & in any hot weather I would take in a slush drink ,made using an empty 2 litre Coke bottle, filled with orange squash & frozen, this would then melt during the day giving ice cold squash & eventually a nice cold slushy drink

Old 07-25-2015, 06:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
oh yeah, the ties and shirts.... In France nobody wears ties in schools, there are kids who even wear shorts in winter, BUT it is considered very inappropriate to drink in the classroom.

Usually it is only during exams that students are allowed to have a bottle of water and maybe an apple.

Of course you cannot eat anything in class.

The first time I went to Germany on exchange I was surprised that our german peers brought junkfood and sodas in the class (that was in middle school, we were 12/13), it's completely forbidden in france unless it is the last day of the year.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 AM

And here too it is forbidden to eat or drink at class. People had uniforms at school in the past. There are many years that we wear whatever we want.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:01 AM

13,481 posts, read 9,022,590 times
Yeah we were not allowed to eat or drink in the classroom either, but between lessons & breaks times (or a sneaky swig out of your bag when the teacher isn't looking) I would drink it. We had water fountains around the school plus vending machines to buy cans of drink too...

I do think it silly though that children are not allowed to drink during lessons, especially if the weather is warm. Even if they stipulated bottled water only, I can remember sometimes being really thirsty during some lessons...

Old 07-25-2015, 07:04 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Never happened when I was at school in the UK. Classrooms did get unbearably hot though, but other than opening all the windows & closing the blinds/curtains nothing was done to keep us cool. No fans either, unless a teacher brought in theirs from home (& then it was only faced on them!)...

They did let us take off our ties & roll our shirt sleeves up though (how thoughtful) & in any hot weather I would take in a slush drink ,made using an empty 2 litre Coke bottle, filled with orange squash & frozen, this would then melt during the day giving ice cold squash & eventually a nice cold slushy drink
SO many people did this at school.. I remember doing this on hot days too

We were allowed to have a water bottle during class, but nothing else, and definitely no food..

In hot weather, we were allowed to take off our ties too, and in the summer term after May half term until the start of July we didn't have to wear our blazer at all anyway I remember at primary school we could wear shorts during summer too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather