Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times

Advertisements

In Malta schools finish for the summer holidays at the end of June & they don't go back until the end of September, 3 months off compared to our 6 weeks we got off in the UK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 03:07 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
In Malta schools finish for the summer holidays at the end of June & they don't go back until the end of September, 3 months off compared to our 6 weeks we got off in the UK!
they closed last week here and won't open until after september 15.

Sure, 3 months in the summer, but then afterwards there will only be two weeks for christmas break and 6 days (!) around easter with a couple of single day holidays here and there.

I much prefer school systems when there are more breaks and shorter vacations.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:59 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

Sure, 3 months in the summer, but then afterwards there will only be two weeks for christmas break and 6 days (!) around easter with a couple of single day holidays here and there.

I'm pretty sure in Malta they have more time off than that, it mirrors almost the same as the terms in the UK, except for having off longer in the summer! The school day starts much earlier here too than in the UK...

Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

That is almost exactly what we got in the US. We would quit around 10 June and go back around 2nd week of Sept. Two weeks off at Christmas, etc. Schools here close this week.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
In France it is two months (late june - september 1st) in the summer, then it's a 7-8 weeks of school / 2 weeks of vacation cycle, so in addition to chrismas break there's a "halloween" break, a winter break in February / March, and a spring break by April / May. The last two are made with different zones so that not everyone is on vacation at the same time and that it does not cause traffic issues when people go skiing / to the sea /etc.

I grew up with that system and I find it hard to adjust to te Italian system, especially considering schools are also open on saturdays here most of the time, whereas in France it is usually Monday-Friday.

For instance when I worked at school there, I could easily go away for a few days or a week in February or in late october, not necessarily wait for summer to leave home or visit friends. Here it is really complicated to go anywhere outside of summer, even Easter break is ridiculously short so that trains are booked much in advance.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:44 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
Here, schools are closed from late June to early September so about 2.5 months of summer. Then there's scattered 1-day holidays throughout the year, a week at thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, a week in February and a week in April. There's really only two long stretches of school in March and May, but those are still shorter than places that get just one spring break.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
BTW, at a party Sunday I found out from a teacher that during our heat wave weeks ago when school was in session, they didn't close in Southern NY. I said didn't you worry a kid would collapse and then you get sued? She said we took the kids outside and sprayed them with the hose. lol. Hmm, good thinking I guess.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:16 AM

Schools closing or leaving early due to heat. Michigan has been in the 90s for multiple days now.

https://twitter.com/Ginger_Zee/statu...53398094876673

Old 05-13-2018, 04:07 AM

927 posts, read 586,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
The newer ones in Gwinnett still don't. And I haven't seen any in other counties nearby.
I wonder how much it costs to add them? I know Gwinnett County's actual schools are always overcrowded and it seems like there's always a new school being built (or more). I'm sure that takes up a lot of money.

Yea it was rough. Though I found out that's not too uncommon for parts of Texas. College Station seems to get that same weather for a couple weeks each August. Makes me appreciate Atlanta summers that don't get that hot consistently.
It's so expensive making kids and teachers comfortable in their positions but there is always spare change for an ugly prison like school building to be built and a new stadium. Not sure what happens to the tax payers money but then millions went missing from the Pentagon prior to 9/11 literally days before yet no one gives a care. Welcome to modern USA the spending nation.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:26 AM

Expecting to hear about some schools closing this week due to heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather