Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I've saved forecasts mostly for these cities:

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wausau, Wisconsin
Peterborough, Ontario
Ottawa, Ontario
Montreal, Quebec
Berlin, New Hampshire
Bangor, Maine
Montpelier, Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Saint John, New Brunswick (only by Wunderground)
Pembroke, Maine (only by Wunderground)
Urumqi, China
Harbin, China
Asahikawa, Japan
Nayoro, Japan
Shibetsu, Japan
Kitami, Japan
Lesozavodsk, Russia
Terney, Russia (only by Wunderground)

Occasionally, I have saved forecasts for other cities, too, but usually only once.

I'll compare them soon and I'll give you some answers.
Why are they mostly humid continental? It's not as if all hard-to-predict climes are continental and I'd imagine quite a few maritime-ers, such as Melbourne , would be notoriously difficult to forecast temperatures. Are you also comparing precip forecasts with actual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Do you know how many times a forecast changes? If someone wants to waste server space on saving each forecast good for them, but I think actual weather is more important to keep or interesting then forecasts. I know a few young meteos that kept track of the percentages of a forecast being close, right or wrong. It got so time consuming and pointless they stopped. Give a try.

But don't pick 8am today for 7 days from now and not write down what it shows tomorrow 8am too.

Then remember... every forecast goes by models and current obs for short term. So the forecast changes you see are because of a change in the atmosphere that the models picked up in the med-long range. So who are you going to blame????? Technology?

Just like the 90s "forecasted" last week for this coming week. Models now do not show 90s here. In fact most don't even show upper 80s. Guess what happened to the forecasts... LOWERED.

People have to stop blaming meteorologist for missed forecasts and learn about what goes into forecasting and how hard it is.

Now if you're talking about those auto generated 2 weeks+ forecasts...why does anyone even look and take them seriously?
Precisely the point. Occasionally you need to save supra-long-range forecasts to prove the absurdness of them. The Capital Weather Gang of the Washington Post did one last year 50+ days after the release of IN-accuweather's 45-day forecasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 80,218 times
YES, YOU CAN. here is the link
[url=http://climate.weather.gc.ca/]Climate[/url]

It's Canada Weather website. You can find there what you are looking for.!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Just in case you don't read the forecast thread.... I suggest reading my post here and seeing the "reason" for the short term forecast changes which just happened for this area. Hopefully it's helpful in some way

Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 PM

140 posts, read 278,394 times
The Australian Bureau of Meteorology archives all forecasts internally, but I don't think they are publicly accessible via the web. There would be significant server space issues. I'm not sure whether they would retrieve them for random inquiries, and it would cost you (employee time!), but I know that they are retrieved for investigations and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather