Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think in North Texas, you get used to the temp swinging wildly so much in just one day in the winter 25 in the morning and 70s later in the day, vice versa...that you get used to just wearing whatever you were already wearing or shooting more at one temp rather than the other.

That's why I think I am T-shirt all year...
Meh, my winters a bit stable. Typically, Highs are around freezing for 3 weeks straight .

Reserve the 70's and 80's for July, when I can wear a T shirt and shorts with no pain .

With that said, there was a point this winter when 25 F would have had me in shorts. It does not get any worse than seeing This:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-25-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:05 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
People do it here in Alaska all the time. Believe me, when it is -40 for a couple of weeks in a row, 30 ABOVE is paradise!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
I don't know... We don't want to feel cold.
Honestly my hands would "freeze" fast without gloves at 5°C, I can't think of wearing shorts and t-shirt at that temperature. Without proper (heavy) clothes many people would easily become ill.
Btw, in (warm) summer nights many people wear jackets so they don't feel "cold".
Well... not at 5 °C, but I have this problem, too! Like, at -1 °C, my hands get cold after around 20 minutes.

I remember one time, where it was -3 °C, I was outside in a short-sleeved t-shirt (but with long trousers). I was outside for like 40 minutes and then, when I returned inside, I was going to play Final Fantasy XII, but I couldn't move my fingers and they were very red, so I had to wait a few hours before I could play that game, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I remember last summer I was at Milano centrale stazione.. I was waiting to board a train to Brescia and it was 34C outside and pretty humid as well. The train was boiling and had no a/c so I was sweating pretty badly, and this old man walked onto the train wearing a coat!!

I can also actually vouch for this because my ex girlfriend was half Italian/English but she grew up in Italy.. at uni whenever we went out she would wear a jacket, even in May when it was 25C!
Wow! I can't understand the reason for doing these things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Meh, my winters a bit stable. Typically, Highs are around freezing for 3 weeks straight .

Reserve the 70's and 80's for July, when I can wear a T shirt and shorts with no pain .

With that said, there was a point this winter when 25 F would have had me in shorts. It does not get any worse than seeing This:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA
I know what that feels like... it's like... better not stay outside! That wind feels very sharp and pungent! Better cover all your skin if you really have to go outside (and not stay outside much)!!! That weather is not a joke!

Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,105 times
Quote:
i remember last summer i was at milano centrale stazione.. I was waiting to board a train to brescia and it was 34c outside and pretty humid as well. The train was boiling and had no a/c so i was sweating pretty badly, and this old man walked onto the train wearing a coat!!

I can also actually vouch for this because my ex girlfriend was half italian/english but she grew up in italy.. At uni whenever we went out she would wear a jacket, even in may when it was 25c!
:d :d :d

Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I do. . Especially in winter when temps get hot in the 40sF. Not sure I would below freezing but I have..

I'm fit, play hockey, always active, and Im like the sun. (Heat comes right off me).

I always use the excuse of liking the cold because my folks come from SanFili which is on the "mountains". Lol
Despite their position in the far south of Italy, I guess the mountainous areas of Calabria are quite cold and snowy in winter. But probably not "cold" by Connecticut standards...

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
They have a metabolism that can handle it. Once a doctor put me on testostrogen to increase my energy levels. Finally for the first time in my life I was warm and my hands were not ice cold. Made a big difference in how I dressed for the outdoors. Men are lucky.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
I've never worn shorts/tshirt for long periods of time in cold weather, even though I like cold. The sub zero wind chills last winter felt refreshing but I'm not on a suicide mission so I wore a jacket and jeans. You'll never see anyone around here wearing shorts in freezing temps, most people are wearing jackets.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:04 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
To mock this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...eople-who.html

What do you think of people who walk around outside wearing only shorts and a tee shirt for significant lengths of time (not just take out the trash or get the mail) when the temperature is below freezing outside?
I think that they are from Minnesota.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:37 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,411,364 times
Well... my current location in Fayetteville's winter season temperatures are way too milder than I genuinely prefer, purposely wear light clothes so I can feel much colder to fit my ideal experience of the definition, however I don't wear t-shirts and shorts in the summer because of the sunlight is frequent and too strong P.S. I'm a skinny person

Old 07-02-2014, 06:11 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,622,250 times
Quote:
I was waiting to board a train to Brescia and it was 34C outside and pretty humid as well. The train was boiling and had no a/c so I was sweating pretty badly, and this old man walked onto the train wearing a coat!!

I can also actually vouch for this because my ex girlfriend was half Italian/English but she grew up in Italy.. at uni whenever we went out she would wear a jacket, even in May when it was 25C!
I believe you, I've seen it here countless times, old people rarely have their arms uncovered, maybe it is indeed cultural or genetics, and common for all southern europeans.
I also wear a light jacket at 20ºC, maybe not at 25ºC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather