Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazakh View Post
Much of Central Asia is in subtropical region. But due to the location being far from oceanic influences, its climate has strong temperature swings during the year (hypercontinental).
If it doesn't have vegetation evolved to growing/flowering/fruiting at any time of year, I don't see it as being subtropical.

Hyper continentality is the very reason it isn't subtropical. Everything about the climate can be explained by distance from the sea, and everything about the native flora, can be explained by the climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 PM

38 posts, read 64,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If it doesn't have vegetation evolved to growing/flowering/fruiting at any time of year, I don't see it as being subtropical.

Hyper continentality is the very reason it isn't subtropical. Everything about the climate can be explained by distance from the sea, and everything about the native flora, can be explained by the climate.
I disagree with that. Continental subtropic also exists in nature. Vegetation evolved any time of the year is tropical climate(sum of effective t is 8000<). Even in tropical climate vegetation can be disrupted because of droughts. Subtropical means very long vegetation period(sum of effective t is 4000-8000).

Central Asia is a unique place in that case.
"Central Asia includes the republics of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and also the southern part of Kazakstan. The region can roughly be divided into two regimes. Areas to the south of 40° latitude are subject to diverse climatic influences and have particularly variable weather, especially in winter. In any given place, winter temperatures can range dramatically from -15° F to 70° F (-26° to 21° C), and even the average temperatures also range widely. For example, in Ashkhabad the average January mean can be 22° F (-5° C) in one year but 45° F (7° C) in the next"

Have a look at Ashgabad's climate chart. It is very subtropical!

Last edited by Kazakh; 06-25-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I disagree with that. Continental subtropic also exists in nature. Vegetation evolved any time of the year is tropical climate(sum of effective t is 8000<). Even in tropical climate vegetation can be disrupted because of droughts. Subtropical means very long vegetation period(sum of effective t is 4000-8000).

Central Asia is a unique place in that case.
"Central Asia includes the republics of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and also the southern part of Kazakstan. The region can roughly be divided into two regimes. Areas to the south of 40° latitude are subject to diverse climatic influences and have particularly variable weather, especially in winter. In any given place, winter temperatures can range dramatically from -15° F to 70° F (-26° to 21° C), and even the average temperatures also range widely. For example, in Ashkhabad the average January mean can be 22° F (-5° C) in one year but 45° F (7° C) in the next"
There is a big difference between vegetation being disrupted by drought vs cold.

Accumulated growing hours are skewed towards hot summer climates, and do nothing to predict the year-round suitability of a climate, for a species. As hot as the summers are, even the most basic subtropical crops like citrus, won't grow there.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM

38 posts, read 64,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There is a big difference between vegetation being disrupted by drought vs cold.

Accumulated growing hours are skewed towards hot summer climates, and do nothing to predict the year-round suitability of a climate, for a species. As hot as the summers are, even the most basic subtropical crops like citrus, won't grow there.
Citrus does grow in Central Asia. Not only that, but also cotton, Japanese persimmon, olive, date palm, pomegranate. Sum of active temperatures necessary for growth of persimmon 4200C, lemon 4300C and orange 4500C.

Taraz has 4200C, Tashkent 4500, Ashgabad over 5000C.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Citrus does grow in Central Asia. Not only that, but also cotton, Japanese persimmon, olive, date palm, pomegranate. Sum of active temperatures necessary for growth of persimmon 4200C, lemon 4300C and orange 4500C.

Taraz has 4200C, Tashkent 4500, Ashgabad over 5000C.
Ashgabad is obviously a different climate, one I would consider marginally subtropical, rather than very subtropical.

Even with 5000C, Taraz still wouldn't grow citrus.

Here must have higher growing units, as persimmon and citrus thrive. That shows that the period of warmth is more important than the intensity of warm.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-25-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 02:52 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
No, subtropical Koppen starts at 0C mean not -3C.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:55 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
I think Taraz is semi-arid continental warm temperate.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
I think Taraz is semi-arid continental warm temperate.
I don't think warm/cool/cold temperate are useful terms. They say nothing about actual climates, and the term itself makes it hard to make a general statement about an area's climate

Continental by itself makes much more sense, as extremes of hot and cold are much easier to put in context.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,967 times
Without precise knowledge I think an interesting climate where relatively cold winter temps and very hot summer temps can exist together. I have red a Russian book about former USSR's geography and climate and the authors were also in a quandary or could not find a very good analogue to the Central Asian climate for these contrasts.

Last edited by Anhityk; 06-28-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 12:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Taraz does NOT have a subtropical climate.. not even close. Where I live has winters far warmer than Taraz and it's definitely not subtropical. Ashgabat would be borderline subtropical IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather