Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 06:03 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
There is a very obvious correlation between crime and poverty - murder is no exception. Taking West Virginia as one example to prove a point is silly - especially considering its rural nature.
Because he wants to blame it on the blacks.

Funny, the biggest city in West Virginia (Charleston) actually has a higher than average violent crime rate.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:05 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Just because I support death penalty for worst of the worst doesn't mean I'm a southerner.

Most states got rid of it because of the extensive appeals process, which makes it very expensive. It should have not so many appeals once conclusive DNA evidence is obtained. Even in the northeast, most places got rid of it in the last decade or so.
States got rid of it because it's expensive and silly. I'm not sure how anyone could still support this barbaric form of punishment.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
There is a very obvious correlation between crime and poverty - murder is no exception.
One that is not nearly strong enough to explain disparities in murder rates in different areas in this country.

Quote:
Taking West Virginia as one example to prove a point is silly - especially considering its rural nature.
Is there something about cities that makes people commit more murders when they live in one? That makes perfect sense...

Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I'm not sure on the %, I don't tend to trust YouGov polls as they seem not to always be very accurate. It certainly is not a popular opinion here though. Michael Gove, our new minister of Justice reportedly said in an interview a while ago that he supported the reinstatement of hanging in the UK.. he got very bad publication for that.
It may not be politically acceptable to say that, but I'd be suprised if fewer than 25% actually supported it, especially for heinous crimes.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,200 times
Oh my god its so weird. One of my far out relatives is talking about the power cut on fb in snj's area lol.

Small world

If your interested, my gg uncle moved there in the early 1900's

Old 06-28-2015, 01:20 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,274,951 times
Barred owl outside my window. "Who cooks for you?"

Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Oh my god its so weird. One of my far out relatives is talking about the power cut on fb in snj's area lol.

Small world

If your interested, my gg uncle moved there in the early 1900's
Yeah, I heard some may not get it back till today or tomorrow. Glad my outage only lasted till Thursday night.

Gloucester Twp got it really bad, it seems. (Though it's not in Gloucester County, like that image suggests. Parts of Gloucester County were also particularly hard hit. My dad went through the Gibbstown area and said it looked like a total disaster area.. Mantua, too.)

Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
States got rid of it because it's expensive and silly. I'm not sure how anyone could still support this barbaric form of punishment.
Real Americans want to see the bad guys tortured.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think homicide rate has little to do with capital punishment.
Norway has only not abolished the death penalty, they have also abolished life imprisonment. The max time you can serve is 20 years.

And they have around 50 murders a year.

---

Greenland is officially Denmark, in continental Denmark the murder rate is around 0.8, but on Greenland it's a terrible 19.0, despite having the same laws.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Norway has only not abolished the death penalty, they have also abolished life imprisonment. The max time you can serve is 20 years.

And they have around 50 murders a year.

---

Greenland is officially Denmark, in continental Denmark the murder rate is around 0.8, but on Greenland it's a terrible 19.0, despite having the same laws.
Norway's system isn't bad at all, but I don't think it can work everywhere. It couldn't work here. I think the Nordic Model works best in small, homogenous, egalitarian societies (like Scandinavia traditionally is). One downside is someone like Anders Breivik doesn't get the justice he deserves. But his sentence will be renewed as necessary and he will be kept in prison for the rest of his life. Norway's justice system does allow for that. It made for a rather outrageous headline in the news, though, when it was announced he only got 21 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather