Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Coastal Moderation Suck (Rant Poll)
Yes, Screw coastal moderation 11 39.29%
No, I need my warmth 13 46.43%
I don't give a damn 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,914,028 times

Advertisements

In Canada, if you compare the West Coast of BC with the Prairies, the overwhelming effect is that of warming. The only months where it has a cooling effect are June, July and August. But even in these months, some nights are much chillier in the Prairies. Summer frosts are unheard of on the Lower Mainland of BC but are quite common in the Prairies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
In Canada, if you compare the West Coast of BC with the Prairies, the overwhelming effect is that of warming. The only months where it has a cooling effect are June, July and August. But even in these months, some nights are much chillier in the Prairies. Summer frosts are unheard of on the Lower Mainland of BC but are quite common in the Prairies.
Same here. Summer nights inland can get way chillier than the coast -which is chilly enough as it is. A 5c summer night, can be 1-2C inland.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,393,125 times
There isn't too much difference here, but then again all of the UK is ocean influenced.

Some areas right on the south coast and the south west have low temperatures in summer of 60F/15C but suppressed day maxima of 19-22C. In all honesty the only difference is that coastal areas here have far less variation than inland areas.

It is quite pronounced in winter, where night time lows in the south west can average 4-5C, yet 2C or lower in most inland areas. Frost is very uncommon in these areas, yet a lot more common inland (although last winter we only had a few frosts!)

Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Never understood why sandals and socks is meant to be such a "fashion crime".... not that I give a crap what someone thinks if I wear sandals with socks.... sandals and barefeet chaff my feet anyway.
Of course not, you're British!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:27 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,677,696 times
It's because sandals hurt my bare feet and socks feel more comfy.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Of course not, you're British!
If anything, I always associated it with Americans actually!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,568,694 times
White socks with sandals is an American thing.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
White socks with sandals is an American thing.

Lol, as if you know. I've never seen that around here, except on Euro tourists. Usually Germans.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, as if you know. I've never seen that around here, except on Euro tourists. Usually Germans.
I've seen Germans at it as well!

This is the stereotypical American tourist that most British think of.. of course most are not like this, but I have seen a fair few like this!

http://www.thegloss.com/wp-content/u...81-640x507.jpg

Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 AM

115 posts, read 144,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Don't be too hard on Euro tourists - they have little experience with "summer styles" - lol. When I lived in the UK, I would come back from a trip to the states and noticed how stylish Americans looked in their sandals , board shorts, and beach wear. In places like Florida, CA, the East Coast beach resorts, ...etc you can always tell a person from the UK or northern Europe -there wearing black socks, ill fitted shorts, and long sleeves in 90F heat....or long (dark) pants on with a unmatched dark top (normally wool) and look like they are about to pass out at any moment - lol.

You must remember however, that most Europeans (esp northern Europe) have cool summers, so they don't know how to dress for heat, and really don't know how to look stylish doing it. It takes a while for folks from the UK to learn how to dress in warm and sunnier climates. I heard a joke (but I did not take offense, it was all in good fun) one hot 95 F day in NYC when one tour guide say to another guide ( as a group of tourists were getting off a bus in Times Square) " Oh god it's so hot, all the English people in their dark clothes are going to pass out again" - then they both laughed.

So give the those from Europe, esp northern Europe a break - a 72 F day is considered "a hot summer day"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather