Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is warmer: Winnipeg or Buxton?
Winnipeg 13 41.94%
Buxton 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times

Advertisements

Here is the photo.

If you look closely you can see others in front of me are running to get inside. It was actually quite a ways, because you had to go inside that unheated tunnel until you finally got into the terminal. Temp was 2C yet it feels so cold since you are used to warm weather.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:24 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
And for those thinking I am making this **** up, here is the photo.

If you look closely you can see others in front of me are running to get inside. It was actually quite a ways, because you had to go inside that unheated tunnel until you finally got into the terminal. Temp was 2C yet it feels so cold since you are used to warm weather.
I could say the same for when I left to London from Stockholm in December 2010 My flight was at 4am, the temperature as I went to the plane after walking outside the building was -24C, as soon as I got to London, the -1C weather felt so warm.

However this isn't normal weather for Stockholm either, the lowest temperatures we see nowadays are -15 to -20C

Old 08-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
I could say the same for when I left to London from Stockholm in December 2010 My flight was at 4am, the temperature as I went to the plane after walking outside the building was -24C, as soon as I got to London, the -1C weather felt so warm.

However this isn't normal weather for Stockholm either, the lowest temperatures we see nowadays are -15 to -20C
Yeah, it especially holds true if you have not seen a warm (0C+) outdoor temperature in ages.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
To give you West European folks an idea of what our winters are like: I once spent a December afternoon in 2009 walking around a European city with light snow falling . The temperature was just around freezing, so I was getting quite wet. I didn't have a coat on - I was wearing a T shirt and jeans and felt uncomfortably warm. It was just two days since I had flown in from Saskatoon, with sub -30 C temperatures day after day (even unusual for Saskatoon). The cold is unimaginable, but it also forces the human body to acclimate and redefine the meaning of 'cold'. A typical January day in Paris is warmer than an early April day in Saskatoon. A January night in Paris is equivalent to May 1st in Saskatoon, on average. In terms of human comfort, all cold and warmth is relative.

I've also walked around in winter rainstorms in Europe (with rain gear on) and found it quite pleasant - it's not anything even remotely comparable to the bone-chilling nature of a winter in the Canadian Prairies.
You're originally from India, right? What did your first experience of winter in Saskatoon feel like? When I lived in London I remember overhearing an older West Indian woman talking about how when she first moved to London in November one year there was "no sun at all for three months" (an obvious exaggeration, but it's what she said) and she was crying herself to sleep at night wanting to go home because of the weather. She'd have got her sun in Saskatoon I'm sure, but the adjustment needed for somebody from a warm climate must be much bigger.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You're originally from India, right? What did your first experience of winter in Saskatoon feel like? When I lived in London I remember overhearing an older West Indian woman talking about how when she first moved to London in November one year there was "no sun at all for three months" (an obvious exaggeration, but it's what she said) and she was crying herself to sleep at night wanting to go home because of the weather. She'd have got her sun in Saskatoon I'm sure, but the adjustment needed for somebody from a warm climate must be much bigger.
Oddly enough, my first winter was the best (and not because it was mild - that was when Saskatoon recorded a low of -44.8 C which was a record low for the date). I found it exhilarating. The novelty quickly wore off, however. The fact that I moved to the sticks didn't help either, since I spend more time outdoors and snowplowing is entirely my responsibility. I go away every December and January, which are the darkest, usually coldest, and most miserable months of the year. These two months are also pretty gloomy and thus not as different from London as you'd expect, but February onwards is much sunnier even if still very cold.

I've always been a cold-tolerant person and quite an oddity in my home country for that reason.

And yes, I complain about Saskatoon's climate all the time on this forum because there is a limit to my cold tolerance as well . My favorite weather is 10-15 C with sunny skies and light breezes. Being a gardener, however, I favor warmer weather for reasons other than comfort.

My ideal climate would be sunny, cool and temperate, such as the Atlantic coast of Portugal or Spain.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM

719 posts, read 614,949 times
Even with the freezing cold winters in Winterpeg, i'd still rather live there by a long mile.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:40 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Well, why don't you go and do the work?

You will find that you are ridiculously wrong. How on earth it could manage to be warmer over the course of a whole year with a mean temperature that much lower, God alone knows. Are you too stupid to notice how much colder winnipegs winters our than Buxton's winters compared to the much smaller difference in summer? There is no way in hell that the hourly temperature is going to be warmer in Winnipeg over a year. Get real. For that to happen, every day, winnipeg's temperature would have to be within a few degrees (2 or 3) of the max for the vast majority of every day, and night. God you're dumb.
Wow, sensitive!

My question clearly went right over your head. Of course the average is higher in Buxton, I don't need you to tell me that. What I'm asking is if the temperature in Winnipeg is higher than that in Buxton more often than not? Certainly it is from June to August inclusive. It's probably also the case in May and September and possibly April; October is borderline.

Certainly Winnipeg is 20 to 30 degrees colder in Winter. It could be 100 degrees cooler but it doesn't matter because I'm not talking about an average.

Quote:
Your thread is more idiotic and stupid than anything AdriannaSmiling has posted. It's the dumbest I've seen in a long long time.
Do you really think it's dumber than this? Someone said it in the Southern Hemisphere Winter thread.

Quote:
That's right. And Buxton's had a better storm than sh!tty 11 month winter Winnipeg this year anyway. Their windows are made out of plastic.
Quote:
Also, try posting the 1981-2010 averages next time.
Go ahead and edit the Wikipedia page since it's obviously so near and dear to you. I've better things to do.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Buxton is far warmer.
At least Winnipeg has a short but real stretch of genuinely warm weather. And each year it also gets downright hot at times, the kind of uncomfortable heat Buxton has never seen.

Buxton (as beautiful as it is--or least so I'm told) hardly ever actually gets warm and it never gets hot.

Can a place really be warmer than elsewhere if it never actually gets warm in the first place?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
At least Winnipeg has a short but real stretch of genuinely warm weather. And each year it also gets downright hot at times, the kind of uncomfortable heat Buxton has never seen.

Buxton (as beautiful as it is--or least so I'm told) hardly ever actually gets warm and it never gets hot.

Can a place really be warmer than elsewhere if it never actually gets warm in the first place?
I'm agreeing with most of the things you've said. Here's what I said on the 3rd page of this thread

----'Being hotter than a certain place for X amount of times in the year has nothing to do with average temperature. A low of -20C for just 5 days can bring the average for that particular month much lower.

From the second half of April, to the first half of October, Winnipeg will most likely be warmer than Buxton. That's around 6 months. So I say 50/50. Looking at Winnipeg's record highs, it could even be warmer than Buxton in April for the whole month, and I'm sure that has happened countless times before.

But I'm going to vote for Buxton, just using averages...-----

Old 08-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Depends on the time of year again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather