Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 AM

29,561 posts, read 19,670,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well obviously, not quite sure what point you are trying to make...
What i'm not allow to express my views? It seems to me that you took offense to this comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yes 25C water is warm, just because you personally don't think it is doesn't mean it isn't...

Quote:
You think it is too cold to swim in, I don't & plenty of others don't too.
I just think it's cold... By definition it's cold.

Quote:
It's a bit like me saying I couldn't go outside in the winter in Chicago as I'd freeze to death & it is far too cold to live there, but you wouldn't agree...
Going outside for any significant amount of time unprotected in a Chicago winter can kill you. Same as going in 20C water without a wet suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I highly doubt Lake Michigan gets 80F water temps in those lakes. Summer 2012 was an anomaly. Your water temps in that lake normally don't crack 72F in an avg summer. Our 77F ocean water is quite a bit warmer. You have to takes trip to Myrtle Beach to get the very warm water you crave. I drive 60 miles to get 77F water that is very comfortable for swimming for long periods of time. Nobody was jumping in and out of the water at 77F surf temps. And I'm not talking little shallow coves with no waves that warm up from the sun. I'm talking about the open ocean water here is just as warm or warmer than our surf water.

Well you are wrong....

Current water temps on the shore line of Chicago is 76F and this is a record cool summer

Compare this July 16th to July 16th 2013 (which wasn't a warm summer by any means)

and Chicago shoreline temps are taken 5 meters below the surface at this water station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,953,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
And you found those temps to be comfortable and enjoyable for swimming? As you stated above you too would prefer warmer water temps if you could right?

Exactly my point. I could jump in to 70 degree water as well, if I want to get a cold rush, come out, and soak up more sun..... but that's not enjoyable swimming (or just playing in the water) conditions. What I personally find to be enjoyable was what I did this past June in Myrtle Beach. I sat in the 85 degree (29C) water for hours at a time coming out just for a few minutes to reapply sunscreen and maybe refill my vodka.

Basically my ideal water temps begin at 80 degrees (27C). The hot summer of 2012 we had shoreline temps at or above 80 degrees from mid July until early September (of course there were days with upwelling which dramatically cooled certain parts of the lake).

Anything above is perfection

Like South Beach Miami today

This buoy out in the middle of the lake is reporting 62.6F. Brrrr. You are using very shallow water temps heated up by the sun. If the winds blows that 62F water to shore, you ain't going swiming. I'm sure that happens.

And the historical data for that buoy shows the avg lake temps peaks at 22C in August.

Here you go:

station 45007

National Data Buoy Center

NDBC - View Climatic Summary Plots

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,953,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
What i'm not allow to express my views? It seems to me that you took offense to this comment

I just think it's cold... By definition it's cold.

Going outside for any significant amount of time unprotected in a Chicago winter can kill you. Same as going in 20C water without a wet suit.

Well you are wrong....

Current water temps on the shore line of Chicago is 76F and this is a record cool summer

Compare this July 16th to July 16th 2013 (which wasn't a warm summer by any means)

and Chicago shoreline temps are taken 5 meters below the surface at this water station
All shallow water temps very close to the shore heated up by the sun. Our water comes up from the Carib all nice and heated despite cloudy or sunny conditions. And despite whether it is 50 miles offshore or right up against the shore. In fact, the further out you go, the warmer our water gets. 80 miles out and you are in much warmer water.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 AM

29,561 posts, read 19,670,267 times
Quote:
This buoy out in the middle of the lake is reporting 62.6F. Brrrr.

For precision sake the mid lake buoy is reporting 66.4F water temps. Still very cold.

Quote:
You are using very shallow water temps heated up by the sun.
Geez and where are you taking your 77 degree water temp exactly?

Quote:
If the winds blows that 62F water to shore, you ain't going swiming. I'm sure that happens.

That buoy is 50 miles east-southeast of Milwaukee out in the middle of the lake

Quote:
And the historical data for that buoy shows the avg lake temps peaks at 22C in August.

Do you measure the entire Atlantic coast when you want to show someone the water temps on the Jersey shore?

Our SHORELINE temps where people go swimming, (depth around 15 meters) crack 80 degrees during an average summer.

Quote:
All shallow water temps very close to the shore heated up by the sun. Our water comes up from the Carib all nice and heated despite cloudy or sunny conditions. And despite whether it is 50 miles offshore or right up against the shore. In fact, the further out you go, the warmer our water gets. 80 miles out and you are in much warmer water.
And what are your shoreline temps where people actually go swimming? 77 degrees right? Just checked the buoy out at sea is slightly cooler than the Jersey Shore

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 08-12-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:53 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,615,715 times
You never hear of people dying of hypothermia when people go in the sea on the south coast.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,420,007 times
20C is OK for swimming if it is a hot day, I used to go to Biarritz on holiday quite a bit where sea temps were 22C or thereabouts and it was very pleasant during a hot day. 20C is acceptable but below that becomes a bit too chilly

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,191,000 times
The "nearest" beach is in Venice, Italy. Just some 666 Kilometres away according to Google Maps. The weather is great 28C and thunderstorms. Sea temperature is around 27C.

A bit nearer is Lake Constance (145 kms) but only has a sea temperatures of about 22C and I don't know if you can't go for a swim there.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,420,007 times
The Italian lakes are normally quite cool, I tried last year in late May/early June in Maggiore but it was freezing - but that may have had something to do with the coldest Spring in a long time in western Europe

Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,445,799 times
for me the nearest beaches (at the seaside) are the ones around Savona, at more or less 200 km by car.according to the weather broadcast now in Savona is quite sunny and warm (27°C). the water temperature are around 25°C. I went there last week and it was a perfect temperature for swimming.
if i also considerate lakes, there are the Avigliana's Lakes, that are in the same valley in which i live. today over there is warm (27°C) but it's going to rain. i don't have data about today's water temperature, but usually in august it's around 25°C.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,459,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Here is mine, Santander city which is located 390 km away north, which is a solid Cfb climate that still has rainless summers, although it's not a strong dry season at all as we really have here in central and southern parts of Iberian peninsula:

Santander, Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nobody knows what a KM is speak English buddy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather