Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
Not sure where you got that information....

While most tropical climates do have late day thunder showers, south Florida is far enough north that even in the wet season there is still plenty of sunshine. Thundershowers do occur in mid afternoon, but last less than 30 min and the sun is back out.

As far as Mediterranean summers....they are nice but the SST temps are still rather chilly, often only in the middle 70s F
Also, neither Mediterranean Europe or Mediterranean American climates have anywhere near as long of beach weather as Florida. 26 C in January is hard to argue with

As far as SST....I don't care what they do in Portugal - 20 C SST is quite cold to many people ! Here in the states you'll see people with wetsuits on when the water is below 25 C. 20 C and below is nice for seals, not humans!
Wetsuits at 25C???! Only crazy people would do that.. 70F+ SSTs are perfectly fine..

Thunderstorms may last only 30 minutes, but then you have to move your towel to shade and not go in the water whilst it is storming.. I prefer the guarantee that it will be dry and sunny all day long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:19 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Quote:
Not sure where you got that information....

While most tropical climates do have late day thunder showers, south Florida is far enough north that even in the wet season there is still plenty of sunshine. Thundershowers do occur in mid afternoon, but last less than 30 min and the sun is back out.

As far as Mediterranean summers....they are nice but the SST temps are still rather chilly, often only in the middle 70s F
Also, neither Mediterranean Europe or Mediterranean American climates have anywhere near as long of beach weather as Florida. 26 C in January is hard to argue with

As far as SST....I don't care what they do in Portugal - 20 C SST is quite cold to many people ! Here in the states you'll see people with wetsuits on when the water is below 25 C. 20 C and below is nice for seals, not humans!
Your talking nonsense again, while not tropical, the surface temps are certainly higher than the middle 70s F
Ayia Napa, Cyprus for example averages nearly 83 F in August.
Ayia Napa Sea Temperature August Average, Cyprus Water Temperatures

Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
25C water temperatures are hardly chilly.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Your talking nonsense again, while not tropical, the surface temps are certainly higher than the middle 70s F
Ayia Napa, Cyprus for example averages nearly 83 F in August.
Ayia Napa Sea Temperature August Average, Cyprus Water Temperatures
That's for Cyprus... I swam in Ayia Napa and Lemesos. The water was nice for sure... They probably have the warmest SST's

The western Med probably has cooler SST's... Coastal locations such as Nice only max out around 24C in August
Weather and Climate: Nice, France, average monthly Water Temerature (celsius)
Water temperatures on the French Riviera

Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Closest beach to my house is about 15 minutes away, but it's always packed. a 10 minute hike past there is an almost unused beach that I like better.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM

115 posts, read 145,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That's for Cyprus... I swam in Ayia Napa and Lemesos. The water was nice for sure... They probably have the warmest SST's

The western Med probably has cooler SST's... Coastal locations such as Nice only max out around 24C in August
Weather and Climate: Nice, France, average monthly Water Temerature (celsius)
Water temperatures on the French Riviera
Exactly!

Much of the western Med has SST closer to 23 - 24 C in summer. That's not bad, and is at the low end of swimable, but below 21 C is outright cold, no matter what anyone says. Also, I was also referring to our Med sector here in the states: Coastal California rarely has SST temps much above 21 - 23 C in summer I think, and cooler than that in fall/winter/spring. That's still to cool and a far cry from SST temps (year round) in the 28 - 32 C in the Caribbean and south Florida much of the year. I stepped in 32 C SST in the southern Bahamas once - I have not been the same since. I'll never set foot in a water body under 27 C/80 F for the rest of my life!

Last edited by Geomaster2004; 08-13-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Wetsuits at 25C???! Only crazy people would do that.. 70F+ SSTs are perfectly fine..

Thunderstorms may last only 30 minutes, but then you have to move your towel to shade and not go in the water whilst it is storming.. I prefer the guarantee that it will be dry and sunny all day long
Yes, wetsuits below 25 C (74.7 F) are common here. 21 C / 70 F SST are fine for seals and whales, but not for humans -lol. That's just way to cold.

Why would I want to move my towel to the shade when I want the sun - lol. I can handle 30 minutes of thundershowers as a fair price for guarantee of 80 F + SST and a much lower latitude climate with warm seas

Last edited by Geomaster2004; 08-13-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Yes, wetsuits below 25 C (74.7 F) are common here. 21 C / 70 F SST are fine for seals and whales, but not for humans -lol. That's just way to cold.

Why would I want to move my towel to the shade when I want the sun - lol. I can handle 30 minutes of thundershowers as a fair price for guarantee of 80 F + SST and a much lower latitude climate with warm seas
You have to move your towel otherwise you get soaked.. that is what happens when a storm is happening, no?

Anybody who wears a wetsuit in SSTs of 25C is a moron.. that is not cold at all

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
You have to move your towel otherwise you get soaked.. that is what happens when a storm is happening, no?

Anybody who wears a wetsuit in SSTs of 25C is a moron.. that is not cold at all
You said I have to move my towel to shade? If it's raining would there be shade?

As far as wearing a wetsuit when SST are below 25 C ....you have to remember that those from lower latitude warmer climates are not as used to cold weather and colder SST temps. Here in the states people from California, Texas, South Carolina...etc wear a jacket on a 25 C sunny day. Go down Florida and the Caribbean islands and they break out HEAVY coats when the temps fall below 21 C. The UK is conditioned different - they can sit on a beach at 53 latitude facing Greenland on a windy 18 C overcast day and be fine - lol. Remember what Theroux wrote in Kingdom of the Sea about his days in Blackpool, UK:

"The buildings were not only ugly but also foolish and flimsy, the vacationers sitting under a dark sky with their shirts off, sleeping with their mouths open, emitting hog whimpers. They were waiting for the sun to shine... but the forecast was rain for the next five months".

That's a far cry from what people in the states are willing to accept for a beach vacation. Florida would never look like this if that was the case:

Last edited by Geomaster2004; 08-13-2014 at 09:19 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Why would anyone go to England if they're are expecting a beach holiday???????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather