Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 12:53 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Weak Nino/Warm PDO Combo. Only 6 years since 1950 with that combo.

Each of these locations had above normal snowfall except for 1 of those years.

Baltimore had just 4 inches of snow 1 of those winters(58-59)

Atlanta had measureable snowfall each of those with 1987-88 being the most with 4.2"

I added some other players on the right.

As of Right now (Sept) we have low sunspots. Warm PDO. Warm AMO. NAO & PNA change daily.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Out of those years I'm hoping for a 1976-77 repeat even though snowfall wasn't as much as some other years. It was COLD!

81 of 90 nights went below freezing. 2nd most on record at the coast.

Average temp that winter tied for 3rd coldest. Last year was 18th.

Number of max temps above freezing was 58 of 90 days which believe it or not was 3rd least amount of days. (yeah, coast sucks LOL)

Old 09-15-2014, 03:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Dr. Doug at The Weather Network shows their first draft of their Winter Forecast.

Video with link mentions Pacific waters and some analog years they feel matches their thoughts..

News - El Niño and its impact on Winter 2014/15: "Pattern resembles what we saw last winter" - The Weather Network

Interesting. I see they have Denver on in the cold bubble. If it turns out like last winter, Denver will get wild swings with the warmth in the West hanging out often, but then the cold in the east "backing in" occasionally. We ended up with many sunny warm days in the 60s, punctuated by serious Arctic cold two times.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,340 times
I want a repeat of last winter but longer...There can never be too much snow, as long as I can get out the door

Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Interesting article by those WeatherTrends360 guys about the over the top hype over this coming winter.

A lot of the article is about global warming blah blah. I'm not interested in that. I'm only interested in the bottom of the article where they say that 10 models call for warm winter in US. They still feel it will not be nearly as harsh as last year, and that the polar jet will stay in Canada. Love to see a debate between them and Bastardi cause they agree totally on AGW, but disgree on this coming winter.

10 Predictions vs Reality and the Winter 2014-2015 Hype - Blog - weathertrends360

Unfortunately at least some of those same climate models (GDDL, NMME) called for a hot summer this year, and that was an epic fail....

I'm going to go with Bastardi for this winter. Bastardi's analysis of SST's seems to be a good formula to go by. His best guess is that it will resemble 02/03' and 09/10'

Live weather blog has these analogs to follow and if correct, means some serious **** for the Midwest. 1977/78 was simply over the top here...

Oh check out what the Farmer's Almanac is saying about this winter

Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Keeping this simple...

When strong convection develops around the date line in Pacific (180/EQ), it helps enhance the negative EPO pattern, building a ridge in the West and a trough in the East.

This also helps build the Sub Tropical jet stream which helps increase chances for storms going into Fall & Winter. Couple that with the Trough & polar Jet in East = chances for snows & storms.

Latest OLR Convection images. ESRL : PSD : PSD Map Room: Outgoing Longwave Radiation (OLR)

With Nino developing better now watch the Nino 4 region. Those waters warming up = more convection.

Blues and yellows = convection. Focus on the 180/EQ area... see the convection starting to happen?

Climate Prediction Center - Monitoring Intraseasonal Oscillations: Infra Red Temperature Animation

Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Keeping this simple...

When strong convection develops around the date line in Pacific (180/EQ), it helps enhance the negative EPO pattern, building a ridge in the West and a trough in the East.

This also helps build the Sub Tropical jet stream which helps increase chances for storms going into Fall & Winter. Couple that with the Trough & polar Jet in East = chances for snows & storms.

Latest OLR Convection images. ESRL : PSD : PSD Map Room: Outgoing Longwave Radiation (OLR)

With Nino developing better now watch the Nino 4 region. Those waters warming up = more convection.

Blues and yellows = convection. Focus on the 180/EQ area... see the convection starting to happen?

Climate Prediction Center - Monitoring Intraseasonal Oscillations: Infra Red Temperature Animation

Yeah Andrew at the Weather Center had a post about the El Nino starting to come on now. Probably moderate at the most.

SOI keeps dropping as El Nino surfaces.

The Weather Centre: SOI Continues To Plummet As El Nino Emerges

Do you think this winter will feature a split flow jet stream? That means a soggy south, with possible ice storms for my area.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:35 AM

118 posts, read 101,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Unfortunately at least some of those same climate models (GDDL, NMME) called for a hot summer this year, and that was an epic fail....

I'm going to go with Bastardi for this winter. Bastardi's analysis of SST's seems to be a good formula to go by. His best guess is that it will resemble 02/03' and 09/10'

Live weather blog has these analogs to follow and if correct, means some serious **** for the Midwest. 1977/78 was simply over the top here...

Oh check out what the Farmer's Almanac is saying about this winter

The bad part about this is I fall in to the line where brisk and wet meets bitter and snowy which creates epic ice storms -- paralyzing Ozarks for two weeks lol.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
I posted this in the European winter thread.....

Quote:
Past weak/mod #elnino events suggest a higher risk of blocking esp late Winter (& therefore colder temperatures).

^^

Blocking might be the rule for Europe and the eastern US this winter

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Something I thought about as these fronts and Highs coming down...

First, this is current surface map (Sept 18th), Basically, if these Arctic Highs drop down and the fronts always stall in the Gulf and Florida, that means its going to be very wet around the fronts (Gulf States) BUT Dry north of there.

So a setup like this would be snowless for the Ohio Valley and Northeast. Yes I said SNOWLESS. Air just too dry for snow.

Now with the cold air dropping south guess what happens just north of the front where there's moisture. Ice Storms. Is this the setup that's going to be developing and happening? Nobody knows and theres so many other setups.

Just wanted to share this and what would be happening if it was happening in winter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather