Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 10:21 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,913,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Milder November/December period, colder Jan-Mar for Eastern and Southern CONUS

Forecast Model Update into the Winter - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog

I'm sure it will change as time goes on. I really doubt they can tell what Feb and March will bring this far out.

I did a test around 10 days ago. I saved the ECMWF and NCEP ensemble forecasts for October 21st. I'll wait till October 21st to see what pans out, but it doesn't look like the Euro got it right at all. If they can't get 15 days ahead correct, how can we have confidence in months away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 AM

83,492 posts, read 75,177,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
If they can't get 15 days ahead correct, how can we have confidence in months away?
Yup, my theory is consistency and multiple models. If Euro or whatever consistently shows it, confidence is higher or if multiple models show it another confidence builder. That's pretty much all we can do. Then wait see & keep following.

This year seems to be flip flopping and different senarios on them. Last year seemed pretty consistent with a cold scenario with the CFS and JMA. I forget what the Euro was showing..

CFS showing the Polar Vortex on the other side. Doesn't mean we cant get cold but the core and cold stuff not in N. America.

This frame is January 14th but play the rest and see.

Meteociel - Modle Numrique amricain CFS

Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, my theory is consistency and multiple models. If Euro or whatever consistently shows it, confidence is higher or if multiple models show it another confidence builder. That's pretty much all we can do. Then wait see & keep following.

This year seems to be flip flopping and different senarios on them. Last year seemed pretty consistent with a cold scenario with the CFS and JMA. I forget what the Euro was showing..

CFS showing the Polar Vortex on the other side. Doesn't mean we cant get cold but the core and cold stuff not in N. America.

Nice map. That cold can flip and end up over North America in no time flat.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Also, I have very little confidence in the CFS. That is an American model lol.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 PM

29,489 posts, read 19,590,898 times
Quote:
I'm sure it will change as time goes on. I really doubt they can tell what Feb and March will bring this far out.

I did a test around 10 days ago. I saved the ECMWF and NCEP ensemble forecasts for October 21st. I'll wait till October 21st to see what pans out, but it doesn't look like the Euro got it right at all. If they can't get 15 days ahead correct, how can we have confidence in months away?
No I agree, model skill drop the further out you go, but I think looking at SST analogs might give us some insight in what to expect.

I recall 09/10' when we had a Modoki El Nino, and a persistent negative NAO/AO/Greenland Block.

This was the SST anomaly at this time 2009

Old 10-19-2014, 01:32 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,203,690 times
Quote:
ECMWF model out for Nov/Dec/Jan for Europe. Low pressure NW Europe. Warmer than average much of Europe. Repeat of last winter?
Jesus christ it better not be.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Jesus christ it better not be.

This might have implications for winter. Not sure how

Quote:
Other private weather forecasters are predicting a slightly cooler winter than NOAA.

Judah Cohen, director of seasonal forecast at Atmospheric and Environmental Research in Lexington, Massachusetts, has pioneered winter forecasts that link colder Eastern U.S. weather to years when there is more snow on the ground in Siberia in October. It's still early and October isn't finished, but the month has started out unusually snowy in Siberia, which preliminarily points to a cooler winter for east of the Mississippi River, he said.

Halpert said Cohen's method is intriguing but NOAA needs more years to show that it works as forecast tool.

Ryan Maue of the private WeatherBell Analytics of New York predicts that "a vast majority of the nation will experience significant periods of below-normal temperatures this winter, with the coldest temperatures (relative to normal) occurring in the Ohio Valley and up through the Eastern Plains."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e7eb0...r-vortex-redux

Old 10-19-2014, 02:16 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,203,690 times
But siberian weather does not affect me.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
No I agree, model skill drop the further out you go, but I think looking at SST analogs might give us some insight in what to expect.

I recall 09/10' when we had a Modoki El Nino, and a persistent negative NAO/AO/Greenland Block.

This was the SST anomaly at this time 2009

That looks very diff from SST at this time though. Much warmer overall in the NE Pacific.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
That looks very diff from SST at this time though. Much warmer overall in the NE Pacific.
Yes I know, though that warm anomaly may erode over the month of November..... If it doesn't, wouldn't a warmer NE Pacific just reinforce more shots of cold for the eastern CONUS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather