Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate battle: Melbourne Vs. Atlanta
Melbourne 20 21.74%
Atlanta 72 78.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,171,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
11C/1C is pretty cold.. compared to 8C/3C here much further north.

What makes it worse is that whilst May, June and September are nice.. the summer is just too humid
Yep, August here sucks and the humidity makes me look uglier .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,392,141 times
For that reason, I don't like east coast US climates.. the winters are either too cold, or the summers are too humid.. unfortunately you cannot escape both of them

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
For that reason, I don't like east coast US climates.. the winters are either too cold, or the summers are too humid.. unfortunately you cannot escape both of them
The berkshires do not see humidity all that often. Its mostly the chill you will be worried about.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
True, but the same happens in interior Southern Australia I suppose. Canberra is even colder than ATL in winter on average.
Yes, but your thread is on coastal Australia. You'd never need to bundle up much winter, light sweater at most, in Melbourne. Weather is probably rather dull, but be changeable in the sense of sudden rain.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, but your thread is on coastal Australia. You'd never need to bundle up much winter, light sweater at most, in Melbourne. Weather is probably rather dull, but be changeable in the sense of sudden rain.
This is why I am hesitant to pick Melbourne.. although the sunshine stats do not look too bad.. Chicken Wings makes it sound like hell in winter! the averages are nice and mild enough to not be cold.. but it seems like it would be similar to an October here with little variation.. hardly pleasant, just not cold

Old 08-23-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I would be equally comfortable with a hoodie in 51 F and 55 F afternoon. And granted that ATL has more sun in the winter, it may feel even warmer than Melbourne on occasions. I usually grab my winter coat when highs dip below 30 F, and that rarely happens in ATL.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
This is why I am hesitant to pick Melbourne.. although the sunshine stats do not look too bad.. Chicken Wings makes it sound like hell in winter! the averages are nice and mild enough to not be cold.. but it seems like it would be similar to an October here with little variation.. hardly pleasant, just not cold
The number of rainy days is high in the winter, and the total annual rainy days is high (150 there, I'm at 123). Sunshine overall isn't bad — 2200 hours is barely worse than where I am, though exact comparison is difficult. Another thing I dislike is the summers —*consistent 78°F high are rather nice IMO. But their summer maxes are very variable; if the weather is coming off the ocean it'll have trouble breaking 70°F and be rather cloudy. From the continental interior it can reach extremely hot temperatures similar to the interior deserts. So either too hot or too cool.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I would be equally comfortable with a hoodie in 51 F and 55 F afternoon. And granted that ATL has more sun in the winter, it may feel even warmer than Melbourne on occasions. I usually grab my winter coat when highs dip below 30 F, and that does not happen often in ATL.
Hmm. The difference is smaller than I thought; the bigger disadvantage for me would be the frequent cold snaps and more so the dead vegetation of the winter. But since the growing season is probably much longer than here, a few months of dormancy might not be as big of an issue to me, but variety instead.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The number of rainy days is high in the winter, and the total annual rainy days is high (150 there, I'm at 123). Sunshine overall isn't bad — 2200 hours is barely worse than where I am, though exact comparison is difficult. Another thing I dislike is the summers —*consistent 78°F high are rather nice IMO. But their summer maxes are very variable; if the weather is coming off the ocean it'll have trouble breaking 70°F and be rather cloudy. From the continental interior it can reach extremely hot temperatures similar to the interior deserts. So either too hot or too cool.
That is also a problem, the summers.. this is a tough battle. If Melbourne had stable temperatures it would be very nice

Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Hmm. The difference is smaller than I thought; the bigger disadvantage for me would be the frequent cold snaps and more so the dead vegetation of the winter. But since the growing season is probably much longer than here, a few months of dormancy might not be as big of an issue to me, but variety instead.
Drive 3 hours to the southeast and you get to see year round vegetation in places like Savannah, GA. Drive 3 hours to the north, and you get to see Winters similar to the Northern US (Boone is as cold as NJ). Versatility is always an option over here. You don't have the same in Melbourne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather