Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Why on earth do they give ranges at two of those stations?! Do the weather station operators need glasses or something?
Majority of snowfall reports are public reports....and thus variable.... snow is like rain and not evenly distributed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Majority of snowfall reports are public reports....and thus variable.... snow is like rain and not evenly distributed....
Are you sure about that? What do you mean by public report? Here are two Environment Canada reports from yesterday:

Quote:
ONTARIO

AWCN12 CWTO
Updated weather summary for Northern Ontario issued by
Environment Canada at 11:02 A.M. EDT Thursday 11 September 2014.

On Wednesday the 10th of September to Thursday morning a storm swept
through the area bringing significant rainfall across Northeastern
Ontario.

The following is a summary of weather event information received by
Environment Canada as of 11:00 AM Thursday.

Location event description

Kapuskasing Airport 51.4 millimetres of rain
Timmins 76.2 millimetres of rain
Wawa Airport 42.6 millimetres of rain
Lake Superior Park 52.8 millimetres of rain
Kirkland Lake 42.6 millimetres of rain
Earlton 36.8 millimetres of rain
North Bay 46.9 millimetres of rain
Chapleau 62.0 millimetres of rain

Please note that this summary may contain preliminary or unofficial
information and does not constitute a complete or final report.

End
Quote:
QUEBEC

AWCN11 CWUL
Weather summary for Western Quebec issued by Environment Canada at
10:09 AM EDT Thursday 11 September 2014.

A low pressure system from the Great Lakes tracked northeastward to
affect Northwestern Quebec. Significant rainfall amounts fell over
several regions since Wednesday evening. Precipitation will taper off
today over areas still in warning.

Here is a summary of the weather event information as received by
Environment Canada.

Region (locality) rainfall amount (millimetres)

Témiscamingue (northern area) 30 to 40
Abitibi (northern area) 55 to 60
Abitibi (val-d or) 44
Abitibi (Rouyn-Noranda) 37
Matagami (airport) 60
Matagami (western area) 30 to 35
Matagami (eastern area) 40 to 45
Parent 20 to 30
La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve (domaine) 37
Chibougamau (lake Albert) 24

Please note that this summary may include preliminary or unofficial
data and does not constitute a final or an official report.

End
Source: http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/weathersummaries_e.html

Why are the Quebec figures given in ranges while the Ontario ones aren't? Seems a bit fishy to me.

ETA: Ah, I see. The Quebec disclaimer says this "does not constitute a final or an official report" while the Ontario one says it "does not constitute a complete or final report."

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? What do you mean by public report? Here are two Environment Canada reports from yesterday:

Source: Weather Summaries - Environment Canada

Why are the Quebec figures given in ranges while the Ontario ones aren't? Seems a bit fishy to me.

ETA: Ah, I see. The Quebec disclaimer says this "does not constitute a final or an official report" while the Ontario one says it "does not constitute a complete or final report."
I don't think that's the reason. The figures are precise for airport observations and provide a range when a larger area or region is being referred to. That's my take anyway.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I don't think that's the reason. The figures are precise for airport observations and provide a range when a larger area or region is being referred to. That's my take anyway.
correct..... Here is what we do at NWS Grand Forks ND

For rainfall we generally do get specific reports via a spotters rain gauge, by rain gauges that the public has, or automated station at the airport. Sometimes even with rainfall ranges are given for a city if spread is large.

For snowfall now...specific amounts to the tenth of an inch or inch is harder to come by. Many reports we get snowfall are more estimated, especially in our area due to wind. Thus we often will report the specific snowfall for a climate station, but many times from the public we get 3-4, or 5-6, etc..... and thus ranges are used.

I am not 100 pct on EC procedures....but they do have more specific rainfall amounts from AWOS stations and others, but snowfall is much harder and thus they use more public reports which are usually not quite as specific.

And none of the rainfall/snowfall data for any climate or observation station is officially until reviewed by in our case the Natl Climate Data Center.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Source: Weather Summaries - Environment Canada

From the Ontario report....they only used Automated Weather Stations and thus used the specific amount recorded from those.

From the Quebec report...a specific amount is given for the automated station at the airport....but ranges are given in other areas due to various public reports within that region.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Notable low temperatures from around Alberta this morning. All figures are based on hourly rounded observations so absolutes could be lower.

Edmonton Int'l -5C
Red Deer -4C
Rocky Mountain House -6C
Nordegg -7C
Sundre -8C
Calgary Olympic Park -5C
Bow Valley -5C
Banff -8C
High River -5C
Pincher Creek -6C
Waterton Park -7C
Hendrickson Creek -10C

Of particular note, Hendrickson Creek had already dropped to -10C by 0200h at which time the station the station conked out. Would be interesting to see how low it actually dropped to.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Notable low temperatures from around Alberta this morning. All figures are based on hourly rounded observations so absolutes could be lower.

Edmonton Int'l -5C
Red Deer -4C
Rocky Mountain House -6C
Nordegg -7C
Sundre -8C
Calgary Olympic Park -5C
Bow Valley -5C
Banff -8C
High River -5C
Pincher Creek -6C
Waterton Park -7C
Hendrickson Creek -10C

Of particular note, Hendrickson Creek had already dropped to -10C by 0200h at which time the station the station conked out. Would be interesting to see how low it actually dropped to.

I guess with a low of 23F in Calgary and Edmonton, your summer flowers are toast. Shame. Flowers are in bloom around here till early November usually.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:08 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I guess with a low of 23F in Calgary and Edmonton, your summer flowers are toast. Shame. Flowers are in bloom around here till early November usually.
Springbank, just outside the western suburbs of Calgary, bottomed out at -9 C (16 F) this morning. Again, those are hourly observations so it's possible it was even lower than that. As of 13:00 MDT, it was still sitting at -2C with bright sunshine: more typical of a midwinter day in the Mid-Atlantic States!

Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Haha, the weatherman is also talking about the Alberta summer snow here in the UK!!
BBC Weather - Shock summer snow
BBC Weather - Weather for the week ahead
LOL

Last edited by Jas182; 09-11-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times
This just makes me hope for a cold snowy winter here in Sweden . The coldest temperature today was -1.2C

It's great I'm back in my home town for 3 years, much more reliable snow here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather