Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this climate could support the growth of coconuts?
Yes 17 60.71%
No 9 32.14%
Not sure 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Nope, the barrier islands south of Charleston.

Edisto, Kiawah, the Georgia Islands.
Do you have pictures? In Florida I have not seen them in Daytona Beach and I lived there for a while. I do recall seeing some right along the coast as far north as Sarasota on the west coast and around Melbourne on the east coast.. Average January low is 40 on Tybee Island, GA. In Daytona Beach it is 47..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
This climate is not similar to LA at all.. also when did LA get coconut palms?
Average Weather for Los Angeles, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

please tell me this isnt similar temp wise, i strictly said temp-wise

Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Coconuts do not grow in L.A. Period. The end. L.A has much cooler climate than Formosa. The only coconut palm that has miraculously survived in Southern California is in Newport Beach, in a microclimate and even though it is over 25 years old, it is very, very unhealthy, stunted and fragile (it currently has only two green fronds). Our weather in Southern California is simply not hot enough to grow coconuts.

Yes, I do think Formosa might be able to grow healthy coconut specimens. L.A, no.
ive seen them in East LA, Santa Ana, the Newport one, some homes in oceanside that have them too. And the Newport one is quite healthy i pass it frequently, if it wasnt, all these "25 years of illness" would have killled it 20 years ago.

they even sell coco palms at home depot, ive seen them at the home depot of Costa Mesa, on Harbor and Wilson.

i never said they grow healthy and robust to 30 ft plus, they dont our climate cant support a fruiting coconut, but a palm yes. in these 25 years it would have grown 50 feet if it were in Acapulco, but in Newport it is simply 15 feet. seriously dont jump to conclusions

Old 09-09-2014, 04:43 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,404,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
[url=http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/90040]Average Weather for Los Angeles, CA - Temperature and Precipitation[/url]

please tell me this isnt similar temp wise, i strictly said temp-wise
That is a hotter inland station for LA, most of LA would not average 90 in any month.. it is low 80s, and mid 70s for coastal areas, also lows in this place are much higher here than LA..

Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That is a hotter inland station for LA, most of LA would not average 90 in any month.. it is low 80s, and mid 70s for coastal areas, also lows in this place are much higher here than LA..
this is south of east LA

Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
most of LA doesnt average less than 90 in summer, its about 50 50, LA includes SFV, SGV, and all inland areas from South Gate north, LA is not just South LA, the coast, or West LA. now if you include the inland empire, and OC

also the lows for the USC/south LA station are warmer in winter than the ones i posted. and the rest of the year they are the same. I think these averages are lower than reality though.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:16 PM

513 posts, read 913,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
ive seen them in East LA, Santa Ana, the Newport one, some homes in oceanside that have them too. And the Newport one is quite healthy i pass it frequently, if it wasnt, all these "25 years of illness" would have killled it 20 years ago.

they even sell coco palms at home depot, ive seen them at the home depot of Costa Mesa, on Harbor and Wilson.

i never said they grow healthy and robust to 30 ft plus, they dont our climate cant support a fruiting coconut, but a palm yes. in these 25 years it would have grown 50 feet if it were in Acapulco, but in Newport it is simply 15 feet. seriously dont jump to conclusions
You, my friend, are 100% incorrect. There are NO Coconut palms growing anywhere in Southern California. You might be confusing them with Kentia or Kings. Our climate does not support Coconuts as we do not have tropical climate.

You are lying when you say the Newport Coconut is "Quite healthy". I go to Newport every other weekend since my parents live down there. It most certainly is not healthy. Want a recent picture? You be the judge and tell me if this coconut palm looks "quite healthy". This picture was taken 3 weeks ago.

Also, just because Home Depot sells recently sprouted coconuts doesn't mean they are suited to grow here. If you need further proof of how nonsensical your statement is I can point you to various palm enthusiast forums discussing the 0 probability of growing coconut palms in Southern California.

Wow, in the 15 years I've been doing landscaping I've never seen a coconut in Southern California, except for the anemic one in Newport. Maybe they are hiding from me?

Seriously, stop pretending we have perfect tropical weather here in L.A. We don't. Sorry this upsets you.

Here it is ladies and gentlemen, the "quite healthy" coconut.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think this climate could support coconuts?-photo2-1.jpg   Do you think this climate could support coconuts?-photo1-1.jpg  

Last edited by Panamajack78; 09-09-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM

really i passed this sunday, those dry fronds aint there.

i know what a kentia and king palm is, i have them in my house.

the ones ive seen are no bigger than 5 feet, and im 100% correct, ive seen them

have you ever heard of queen palms for sale at Ancorage, or Vancouver for that matter? i Havent, if they supply them, if Home depot orders them they think it will sell, they wont sell palms in artic climates. why would they go through all the hasle of if your plant dies within a year we will refund your money and palm, if they know the palms wont live.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM

513 posts, read 913,010 times
That's why I said the picture is 3 weeks old, duh. Two green fronds is not the symbol of health.

But ok, fine. There are coconut palms all over L.A.

They are everywhere!

Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
That's why I said the picture is 3 weeks old, duh. Two green fronds is not the symbol of health.

But ok, fine. There are coconut palms all over L.A.

They are everywhere!
Gosh, why do you take my comments as such exagerration i said ive seen coco palms in East LA, Santa Ana, and Newport one, those are three cities, out of over 100 cities in the metro area, damn.

and two green fronds aint a signal of approached death either so i guess we are both wrong on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather