Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this climate could support the growth of coconuts?
Yes 17 60.71%
No 9 32.14%
Not sure 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times

Advertisements

Here's how I see it. L.A-Mex, there are lots and lots of palm varieties that, when young, are very, very similar to cocos nucifera such as the Parajubea and quite frankly unless you inspect them closely, from a distance they could very well look like a young coconut. Here's the thing: there are lots of people, myself included, that have tried growing coconuts here in SoCal and have failed for the same reason. It doesn't matter if it never freezes in Santa Ana, low temps of 41 degrees and wet weather on a regular basis can have a very negative impact on coconuts and other ultra tropical flora. If coconuts had a small chance of growing we would see them a lot more often in many places around SoCal, but we don't.

One of the best tropical nurseries in SoCal is in Newport Beach, it is called Tropical Vibe. They have everything, from Ti plants, to gingers, to tons of palms and everything in between. I go there often. The owner has never, ever carried a coconut because he knows it's basically impossible to grow them here. The same goes with Manila Palms (Adonidia), or the beautiful Red Sealing Wax palm (Cyrtostachys renda). These palms are just too tropical and have needs that our climate here in SoCal simply does not offer. We are lucky though, that we CAN grow other beautiful tropicals like Kings, Kentia, Royals, Foxtails, Ti plants (which I have 8 gorgeous ones) and many other palms that resemble the beauty of the coconut palm.

So that we shall do. We'll never have a coconut palm but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a tropical garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Do you have queen palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) there? They're everywhere here, and I'm sick of looking at the ugly things.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:01 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Do you have queen palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) there? They're everywhere here, and I'm sick of looking at the ugly things.
Yes we have them here. They are one of the most common palms in Southern California. Some look really beautiful and some are hideous.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,474,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Yes we have them here. They are one of the most common palms in Southern California. Some look really beautiful and some are hideous.
i like the ones with a mature trunk, but dislike the others that have an anemic look.

to your previous post, i could be wrong since i didnt stop and look closely, but they looked very much the same. i know they cant grow into full blown maturity, but what im trying to say is that it is possible for them to live (couple of years), but indeed live for a while. Im not saying SoCal is Tropical like Acapulco or Tahiti, im just saying that our climate can allow a Coco live for a while. I myself had a coco years ago, it was doing fine, it had been planted at the start of spring, it was doing well, but 3 months later it was gone, the whole palm and coconut of where it was growing, so I dont know if it would have lived multiple years. I see cocos at home depot but i dont bother to buy them again because i too realize that it cant grow as tall as my fan palms, or dates, i know it will live a couple of years but not grow to give fruit or look like ones in Vallarta, so i gave up on that idea. im now looking for a high plateau coconut palm that is apparently resistent to cooler temps, and would do well here. I also want a andean wax palm ( with the white trunk and multiple black rings).

PlantFiles: Picture #17 of Andean Wax Palm, Quindio Wax Palm (Ceroxylon quindiuense)

this wax palm is in Ventura, one of my favorites.

they should have all of wilshire blvd planted with andean wax palms from the ocean to downtown

Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Newport Beach coco died this past May.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
But new (& much larger) Cocos nucifera were discovered growing in La Qunita & in The Palm Desert...

Old 02-13-2016, 08:42 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
They might grow, but they would not fruit. At least, that's my best guess. (I put "no")

A bit too far from the equator and not an ideal climate, especially because it's too cool for part of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather